The Plant Cafe-Deli

Features a course menu using local and organic ingredients. Available for private dinner parties. Bring your own wine. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, British, English, International

wildfang
wildfang

Not so special

3 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

We had an early lunch at this place before we took the bus heading further north. There were some packed lunches or sandwiches to take away (also some vegan choices) and some freshly prepared vegan choices. We went for the creamy red pepper soup (very tasty) and a potato and vegan "cream cheese" quiche with a little side salad including edible flowers. Unfortunately, the quiche was very greasy and didn't taste of very much but oil. It was also rather small for the price.
We also had some local fizzy drink which was very refreshing and tasty.
The location is great but I'm not sure whether that would be reason enough for my going back there next time I'm in Exeter.

Pros: Location, Book swap near the toilets
Cons: Greasy food, Rather expensive
Chrs
Chrs
  • non-vegetarian

Luscious cake with beetroot....

3 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed the cake, forget any preconceptions of what you might think beetroot would taste like in a cake, take my word for it and give it a try! In fact the cake lodges in the memory so much that I forget what it was I had to drink! And this is only two days ago! Lovely location in cathedral close. Staff friendly. In the past do remember running into the odd staff member who could do with brushing up on the art of customer service.

Pros: Varied choices, Lovely location

lh1986
lh1986

Nice food, poor staff

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

The food here was lovely and the location next to the cathedral perfect. Plenty of choice and herein lies the issue; we were made to feel very uncomfortable by the counter staff when we did not know what we wanted straight away. I chose a particular pasty and then they was reluctant to let me have it as it was the last one!

Our group all very much liked their food and the prices were good but the whole thing was tainted by the attitude of the staff, we also had a issue when paying as wanted to split our bill into two and this seemed to offend the other member of staff there. I will go back but if I see the same staff in there I will be leaving quickly!

Pros: good value, tasty food, great location
Cons: poor staff
TheGoodShip
TheGoodShip

Service with a frown

2 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I have no problem with the food or drinks in the establishment, but the service was lacking. The lady serving seemed annoyed that we didn't know straight away what we wanted, despite there being no other customers so wasn't as if we were holding up the queue. The drinks order was incorrect and we were made to feel like we were in the wrong despite asking for exactly what we wanted and not the 'house speciality' drink of a similar but more wordy name, which apparently we should have known about.

Finally an issue with this website, for some reason you are not allowed to give a 1 cow rating for a veggie restaurant, which makes the rating system a bit flawed!

dansette
dansette

Yum

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2010

When I was in Exeter I ate here every day! The mushrooms on toast and vegan chocolate cake were both amazing. You can sit outside and there is a great view of the cathedral. Highly recommended!

platyfrog
platyfrog

More Yummy Than Fancy

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2010

The service here is polite and efficient (got my food quickly and cheerfully even on a Bank Holiday Monday, during lunch rush!). I was promptly offered a chilled bottle to replace the lukewarm one I'd picked out of the display by the door, without any sort of hinting on my part; I didn't even know they had chilled ones out the back.

To be honest, the menu/selection left a tiny bit to be desired, but once I'd tasted the various salads, I understood that they've just focused all their attention on perfecting the items they do offer.

The prices were also a bit steep, but the portions are more than generous. If you're after a light bite and brought a friend, just order one of the platters (say risotto + 2 salads or whatever) and share.

Pros: flavor of food, outdoor seating, cheerful staff
Cons: slightly limited menu, bit sparse on the hot vegan offerings, somewhat elevated prices
daisyairyfairy
daisyairyfairy

Best In Town!!

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2010

I have been going to the Plant Cafe for 4 years now and am very confused about the last post! A limited choice is the exact opposite of what i have always seen there! There is often too much choice and i want it all! All i can say is that you must have caught them on a very rare day.
Although in regards to the breakfasts, the Persian baked eggs are secomd to none. That and a deliciously crafted coffee makes the perfect breakfast for anyone! I can get enough of this cafe!

Pros: Food, friendly happy staff, Amazing coffe
Cons: not big enough
mfergu01
mfergu01

Limited choices

2 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

The cafe seems good at what it does, but it doesn't do much. The menu is very limited, a number of prepackaged items. It would seem better to go for breakfast, as that meal provides more choices. Otherwise, do not stop planning to eat a meal. You'll have to go elsewhere.

Pros: Location, Affordability
Cons: Limited Menu
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Great location; ate lunch here twice

4 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2009

We were in Exeter for two days and this restaurant was a real bonus. The first time we sat inside and the next day outside and since it is across from the cathedral we enjoyed the view as we ate. The place is small but they were not that busy (September?) so we had no difficulty with seating. The later in the day you arrive, the less choice there is but as a vegan there was always lots of choice. My wife who is a vegetarian enjoyed the food as well. On the second day, I did have the chocolate cake and it was very good.

Pros: great location, good tasting food, accomodating staff
Cons: hours of operation
veggielicious
veggielicious

soooo good

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2009

went to the plant on a sunday afternoon. greeted with smiles all round. the staff were up to their eyeballs cooking all sorts of things! but, still spent the time to talk me through what everything was. i got chatting to them about the new ownership...the girls had always worked at plant and were the perfect candidates to take over the business. i think a few things had changed for the better.
i ended up having a chai latte and risotto layer. you must experience it! the music was very 'new worldy'. great atmosphere. i even went away with a free cake voucher for my next visit!!!

Pros: staff! , constant supply of fresh food, community notice wall
Cons: too much choice!
sonrae
sonrae

Lovely cafe

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

I have been to the Plant Cafe a few times for lunch (both business and leisure) and there is always something there for vegans - including a fantastic vegan chocolate cake!! The staff are always friendly, polite, & helpful = excellent customer care! This cafe is well worth a visit! The only downside is that it is small so you may find it difficult to get a table at peak times.

Pros: Great Food, Vegan Chocolate Cake, Friendly staff
Cons: Small venue
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Sonrae, I liked your review. That chocolate cake sounds wonderful.

ali parr
ali parr

Great vegan choice

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2008

Really happy that we changed venue and went here, friendly staff,good choice of vegan food,nice freshly prepared food, crisp cold salads, warmed pitta bread with nicely served hummus, attention to detail, cost £17.90 for huge plated salad at least 4 salads on plate,hummus and pitta, vegan sos panini with good garnish,dijon mustard wild rocket,two soya lattes, big platefulls and food served at the right temp,large jugs of water to help yourself to, would go tomorrow if I lived nearer, was tiny inside and difficulty to read menu up on wall without feeling pressured to choose quickly as it is right above a table with some one eating at so made quick choices,luckily the right ones!, nie atmostphere all round, seemed all ages there, played Jazz music,that is a no no for me personally but others might love it,they do outside catering I think as well, great first impression,loved it.

Pros: vegan friendly, welcoming, very tasty food
Cons: badly placed menu board, jazz music, to far for me to go weekly!
Guest
Guest

Vegan chocolate cake

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2007

This is the cutest little cafe ever. The food is so so delicious and to have the vegan chocolate cake is simply heaven. The best i have ever tasted.

The staff are so friendly and the atmosphere is delightful. I just wish i lived nearer so i could visit more often.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Plant Cafe-Deli: