Serves meat, veg options available. Vegan options are limited to that usually found at American-fare restaurants (salads, sides and more). They do offer a BBQ tofu dinner, using non-GMO locally-produced tofu nuggets. The wait staff is very helpful. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Western, Beer/Wine, BBQ, Non-veg
328 W Davie St (S Dawson St)
Raleigh, North Carolina 27601
919-890-4500
Now Open

Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by djweather
Rick and Dani
Rick and Dani

watch for those who don't understand Vegan!

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2014

Good food but as usual watch for servers that don't totally understand Vegan. We told the server we were Vegan and ordered the only vegan entree Barbecue Tofu. They served it with a biscuit and hush puppies! Luckily we thought to confirm before we ate and they do have dairy in them. Really bothers us if you are going to offer Vegan dishes make sure they are served Vegan...... The tofu was great but now we worry it was not Totally vegan.....

Pros: vegan options
Cons: worry if staff is properly trained to serve vegans
GreyhoundEmerson
GreyhoundEmerson

The Pit for Brunch

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

Based on the review from djweather, I decided to give the pit a go. I was very interested in trying the BBQ Tofu dish. When the plate was served, I was a little upset to find that the "TOFU" was actually Delight Soy nuggets from Delight Foods. The product is commonly referred to as Texturized Soy Protein (TVP). Since I was in a rush, I went ahead and ate what was served. While it was enjoyable, it was not what I ordered. The manager even tried to convince me that the TVP was Tofu because it was made from soy, eventually agreeing that the description was incorrect. The wait staff was not knowledgeable about vegetarian sides, but quickly got the information from the kitchen.
Overall a good experience.

Pros: Attentive Staff, Good Value
Cons: Few Vegan options
djweather
djweather

Great place!

Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

Nice to finally find a veg-friendly restaurant that isn't Italian, Asian, or Mexican! There aren't many veg-specific menu items, but the basics are covered. The BBQ tofu plate is fantastic, not the usual square sponge cake offered at other non-veg places! Waitstaff was very quick to point out side dishes prepared with and without meat, and didn't give the eye roll when asked about vegetarian options. The free range meat and local/organic produce make them an appealing option for a mixed crowd, and all of it is prepared skillfully and tastes great.
I have been to vegetarian restaurants that take less interest in their tofu dishes than this place does. The Pit uses Delight Soy nuggets, a non-gmo locally produced product that almost had me fooled! Went back the next day to see if it was just a fluke, and left very satisfied. Good flavor, generous portions, and happy me!

Pros: Friendly staff, Quality menu, Great value
Cons: Few vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of The Pit: