Guesthouse, restaurant, and organic garden. Reservations suggested so call ahead. Offers fair trade coffee, garden fresh herbal teas, soups, and meals. Jan 2014 owner reported changing menu to all-veg. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Irish, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Shanahill East
Castlemaine, Ireland

First Review by drwiz
mina.aphrodosia
mina.aphrodosia

a very special place

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

We stayed at the Phoenix for one night at the end of a three week tour through Ireland, and it was the most special night we've had. It's not just a restaurant, but also a B&B. Lorna, the owner, is a warm hearted hippie mom, and the whol ehouse is decorated with stuff she brought back from her trips all over the world. The garden is a almost magical place, with gypsie caravans to sleep in, and all organic vegetables growing. We ended up drinking excellent organic wine in the garden, and later, Lorna's husband drove us to a pub nearby. Unfortunately we've missed dinner, but we had a late breakfast the next day. Make sure to buy a copy of Lorna's cookbook. The recipes I've tried so far are awesome. I'd love to come back to this place anytime and stay for a week, a month, a year and drink and eat and chat with the people there.

Pros: everything!
andrea
andrea

NOT VEG

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

I just have to say this is not a vegetarian restaurant. It says right on their website that they serve "Dingle seafood."

• Lorna Tyther Lorna Tyther

We are a vegetarian B&B, Our lunch menu is vegetarian. For the last three summers we have served 3 seafood dishes on our dinner and early bird menu of which at least 80% is vegetarian/vegan.We are very very strict in our kitchen and have an entire area solely for our fish. Our farmers market is vegetarian. My cookery courses are vegan as is my cookery book.
    Four years ago I debated closing as we were unable to sustain being pure vegetarian, now we are commercially more viable and we still offer mainly vegetarian food. I am sorry if you are offended Andrea and as you pointed out we do clearly state Dingle Seafood on our website.

• andrea andrea

Yes, as I said you are not a vegetarian restaurant as you used to be listed on HappyCow. They have since changed the designation. I was not offended; I was stating a fact.

rebeccaatk
rebeccaatk
  • non-vegetarian

Good Food Haven

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

I am not vegetarian but find myself drawn time and time again to this relaxed, informal and delicious eating venue. My family and I have been visiting The Phoenix on and off for 8 years now and have never had a bad experience. The food is always tasty, inspiring and freshly produced wherever possible using locally sourced ingredients. There is often entertainment sometimes planned and sometimes spontaneous eg last Friday we were delighted to hear excellent traditional fiddle playing by one of the owners part time helpers. The children love exploring the beautiful garden complete with romany caravans and in the summer months you can eat El Fresco. Worth a visit whether it be just for coffee and cake (wheat free), tapas or a 3 course meal. There is no where like The Phoenix - a unique experience.

drwiz
drwiz

Good vegetarian choice

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2009

Funky, converted house in the middle of nowhere, but good food and fairly priced. Selection was good for vegans, and the staff was very helpful. If you are on the way to Dingle, a great place to stop for lunch or dinner. Non vegetarians were enjoying the food too, and the owner will sell you fresh produce straight out of the garden. They will also work with you to personalize your dish. In Ireland vegan restaurants are not the norm, but this would be good anywhere.

Pros: selection, location, for that area, price
Cons: not close to major areas

Dear Owner and Manager of The Phoenix: