Dairy ice cream parlor that also offers a vegan coconut ice cream and a couple sorbets - call ahead to confirm. more-less

First Review by trippinvegan
turtleveg
turtleveg

Vegan ice cream cones? Yes Please!

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

So great to be able to walk into an ice cream shop (in downtown Durham!) and be able to order up a scoop or two of vegan ice cream on a (vegan) waffle cone. Not to mention the delicious shakes! Perfect thing to do on a warm spring or summer evening.
They are committed to offering at least one or more vegan options daily. The standards seem to be vegan chocolate and some sort of sorbet, but often they have more creative options like mocha chip (my favorite), or chocolate girl scout mint, toasted coconut, or coconut mocha.
Many of the toppings are vegan too (their menu is clearly labeled).
The lines are sometimes long, but it is so worth the wait.
On Wednesdays they usually offer up some sort of vegan dessert like cake or cookies (and often still available on Thursday too).
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 26, 2013

Pros: deliciously creamy vegan ice cream, vegan cones!, friendly staff
Cons: too few vegan flavors, long lines, noisy (but go outside, by the Bull)
trippinvegan
trippinvegan

VERY Happy I Went Back!

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

(UPDATED)

I wrote previously about a slightly disappointing experience at The Parlour. Basically, a long wait, only two not-so-great vegan flavors, left disappointed.

BUT.

I contacted them via Facebook, and they immediately responded with explanations, apologies, and an offer to give me whatever I wanted on the house.

So I went back today (about a month after the first try), and they did not disappoint. I ordered the chocolate coconut milkshake (with almond milk), and it was FANTASTIC.

Their vegan options are still limited, but I so appreciate their effort and the quality of the product. They are also so very nice, so I also appreciate their kindness. And they are super savvy business-wise, because by comping me that one milkshake, they've earned a (probably frequent) repeat customer.

If you're a vegetarian, you'll have lots of options, so go for it! If you're a vegan, just call ahead to make sure they have a flavor you want, and go as soon as you can. You will NOT be disappointed.

(Updated from previous review on Thursday April 18, 2013)

Pros: DELICIOUS vegan milkshakes!, Small, local business, Courteous staff/owners
Cons: Very limited vegan selection

Dear Owner and Manager of The Parlour: