Serves meat, veg options available. A small, intimate, and hip setting. Booths and a bar inside. Made-from-scratch food. Has vegan mozzarella sticks, a smoked tofu sandwich, lentil burger, hummus and roasted veggies sandwich, and salads. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
75 Marshall St (Monroe)
Rochester, New York 14607
585-360-2920

Open Tue-Sun 11am-4pm, 5-10:30pm, closed Mon.

First Review by Carlee
BenjaRoc
BenjaRoc

Wanted to love it :(

2 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

My boyfriend and I were so excited to try this place. This was back in April so I'm hoping we just went on a bad night. I had the seitan meatball sub and he had the Oleks Buffalo Stance. I took three bites into mine before realizing there was hardly any seitan on it - bummer to pay $9 for bread and sauce. His portion was much better, but the tempeh was barely cooked. The sandwich was pretty much a log of tempeh brushed in buffalo sauce. Anyways, hope your luck is better. I hear the brunch is good, so maybe well give them a second shot someday.

Pros: Friendly, quaint
Cons: Small portions
RoyT
RoyT

What a find!

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

Another great find, while traveling, for a restaurant with a vegan menu. Thank you Happy Cow!! Had the lentil burger. Just great! Will definitely go again when in the Rochester area.

Pros: great choices, reasonable prices
Cons: none
Waldohood
Waldohood

My favorite restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

I love this place. Vegan friendly. With options for my vegetarian daughter and meat eating husband and children. Food is made to order, so don't expect if out in five if even ten minutes. Would love to see humane certified eggs offered.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Great atmosphere , Wonderful staff
Cons: Parking can be tricky, Would love more options/ bigger menu, Many fried options
Edent
Edent

Great Beer Selection

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

They offer a flight of beers - 5 small glasses of beer. Perfect to accompany the delicious veggie food. Good service. Book in advance.

untemperedhope
untemperedhope

Hands down amazing!

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

Want vegan desert? Check. Want a wide selection of vegan sandwiches? Check. Vegan Appetizers? Mmmm check. Entrees? Oh yes! The Owl House has it all! I have never been disappointed with food I have ordered from the Owl House. My favorite selections include the Vegan Cigarillos, Olek's Buffalo Stance, and the Vegan Cake. A must visit for Rochesterians and visitors alike! Reservations are recommended for weekend nights and holidays, but, good news! You can reserve through Open Table! Yippee!

Pros: Out of this world Food, Excellent Staff, Intimate, fun Restaurant

Caprcrn
Caprcrn

Delicious!

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

Small place, very tasty foods. Tofu and "un-beef" (TVP) options. Burritos are big, taco salads are small. Be sure to try their sauces.

• untemperedhope untemperedhope

I believe that you meant to post this review on John's Tex Mex :)

FractalFaery
FractalFaery

Super yummy food, crazy delicous cocktails!

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2012

We traveled to Rochester for a concert and stopped into The Owl House around 4ish for dinner... unfortunately they close their kitchen between lunch and dinner so we sat at the bar until they re-opened their kitchen at 5 for dinner. Their cocktails were amazing... we had a hot apple apple cider with house infused vanilla vodka which was perfect for a fall afternoon and we had their edamame appetizer which was delicious. Once the kitchen was owner we each had a different vegan sandwich (there were three of us)... my hubby has the lentil burger, I had the pesto veggie melt, and my friend had another vegan sandwich but I can't remember the name of it but it was delicious. Really original menu... very vegan friendly and great drinks.

Pros: Great food, good vibe, Super friendly staff, ReasonSuper friendly staffable prices
Cons: The for the kitchen to reopen
nicole.wead
nicole.wead

The Owl House experience

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

When using happy cow to find a local veg-friendly place, this one sounded interesting. Pulling up to this place, it is located in a house. Walking in the atmosphere is fun and unique.
There are daily specials, my visit here was with someone that is not vegan but willing to go for me. The specials caught his attention with the Pineapple ginger soup. The standard menu and specials had standard, vegan and gluten-free options. My friend got the soup, which was delicious, and the Olek buffalo sandwich, his first adventure with tempeh. The appetizer special and my sandwich were really good. There is dining downstairs by the bar, upstairs and outside. The number of options for vegan, vegetarian , gluten-free and non-veg people is a great blend that everyone can walk away happy.
For a non-veg restaurant almost most items can be vegan easily and options listed as vegan and not. It is more a vegan restaurant with non-veg options.

Pros: Large options, Great food, Atmosphere
Cons: On street parking
karmandrew
karmandrew

great food

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

The food here is of exceptional quality! They do serve animal products here as well, but have a separate vegan menu. Laid-back dining style, menu is on their website. Service was great as well.

Pros: separate vegan menu, waiting staff friendly and veg knowledgable , food is among the best vegan food I've had
Cons: neighborhood is a little run down, they also serve animal products
LegrayDynamic
LegrayDynamic

have to go back.

4 Posted on 02 / 29 / 2012

My husband and I have had dinner here several times. Love the choices available for vegans. Love the cigarrillos and had a great drink cant remember the name but it was mase with freshly pressed apple cider, jamison, and cinnamon stick for garnish. Awesome autumn drink. Overall great selections and service

Pros: selections
Cons: space
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Super yum

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

Tons of vegan options, their chefs really know how to combine flavors. I got the Saigon sandwich at the waiter's recommendation. It consisted of smoked tofu, pickled cucumber and carrot slices, baby arugula, cilantro-lime and onion marmalade, and roasted garlic vegenaise on a toasted baguette. Super yum! They also have raw options

lizbelden
lizbelden

Yum!

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2011

This restaurant was a very happy find-great food & service, wonderful ambiance. My husband had the vegan tacos, and I had their garbanzo balls- both were amazing. Tht chocolate mousse was tne finishing touch to a memorable meal. We will be back!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Good portions, Kid friendly
Carlee
Carlee

The Owl

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2010

I was so glad when The Owl opened! Finally an affordable, close to home restaurant where vegans/vegetarians have more choices than a side salad or steamed veggies! Very tasty, satisfying selections! Love the organic ginger-lime edamame, and the cigarillos (seitan and Daiya vegan cheese wrapped in flour tortillas fried crisp with Vegenaise)! The Paramount vegan B.L.T. was excellent! Everything was FRESH and it makes a difference! Intimate setting/decor and outside seating. Non-vegetarian choices too which makes it easy to go out to eat with non-vegetarian friends. But suggest they try a vegetarian option, and they will convert for sure! Located across the street from a natural food co-op, so lunch and grocery shopping in one convenient stop!

Pros: FRESH ingredients, So many choices, friendly staff
Cons: Seating area small/tight fit

Dear Owner and Manager of The Owl House: