Located in Ampang, this restaurant provides wholesome fusion vegetarian dishes prepared from fresh, organic vegetables. No garlic, onion, spring onion, or microwave. Most dishes are also suitable for vegan. Cozy ambiance and quiet, good for a chat. Has wi-fi. Also offers a range of organic and health products for sale. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Chinese, Fusion
8, Jalan 1/67B, Ampang (Jalan Ampang and 2nd Ring Rd)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 55000
03-4253-5388
Closed now

Tue-Sun 11:00am-3:30pm, Tue-Sat 6:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm

First Review by kenix
AndyT
AndyT

Wonderful Chinese food with many vegan options

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2014

We went today to the Origin Restaurant for the inaugural meeting of our "Kuala Lumpur Vegans and Vegetarians Facebook group" ( https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Klvegans/ ).

Everybody absolutely enjoyed the vegan food and the nice atmosphere. While all dishes were quite healthy (admittedly some more than others), every dish was absolutely delicious, the service was great and it was a memorable evening, to be repeated soon.

Definitely one of KL's finest vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurants, I will come here more often.

Total price per person came to RM 40 (8 EUR) including drinks, definitely fair considering the high quality.

I can only give another 5-star review.

Pros: Great tasting food, moderate prices, Many vegan options, knowledgeable staff, Friendly atmosphere and good service
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Excellent food, but pricey

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

An upmarket restaurant with very good food. The menu is full of creative dishes, with plenty of fresh vegetable-based dishes, as well as soy mock-meats. The style is modern Chinese with some fusion dishes, and an emphasis on healthy food, some organic. Most of the menu is vegan. The atmosphere is very pleasant - peaceful, air-conditioned with simple decoration and gentle music. The prices are similarly upmarket, with dishes ranging from RM 13-40. I went a few times and tried the yam basket filled with stir-fried veggies, the '8 treasures' mix of roots and veggies, the stir-fried organic greens, and the mango pudding. Everything was fresh and delicious. They also have delicious fresh juices. The workers are friendly. Be prepared to pay RM 30-70 per person, if you have a main and a drink for example.

Pros: Delicious, Creative, Pleasant setting
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Great food though expect to pay a bit more

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

This restaurant had really excellent food and many vegan options however it is pricey. Owners nice, helpful with ordering

Pros: good food

Brooke
Brooke

Yum!

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

I took my 2 meat loving parents to The Origin on a friends recommendation. It was amazing. Absolutely beautiful vegetarian and vegan food. Highly recommended. Lovely efficient staff who were willing to explain everything to myself as a vegan and my parents who are meat eaters.

Pros: Excellent Food, Organic, Great Staff
Cons: Location
ekendra
ekendra

A Pleasant Surprise in KL

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

Passing through Kuala Lumpur, I checked out happycow.net to see what new digs were in town. It was hard to miss all the rave reviews here about The Origin, so I decided to check it out myself. I'm glad I did.
My wife and I had two kids (aged 7 and 3) in tow which can make dining an unpredictable experience. Sometimes staff can get uptight with a noisy and messy 3 yr old "enjoying" his lunch. Not here. They were so pleasant and welcoming to us which helped us settle in for an amazing lunch.
We ordered a fair few dishes to share around the table including the Baked Cheese Rice and Tiramisu recommended here. We have to confer that they were both very nice. The kids gravitated towards the noodle dishes including the Carbonara which I was pleasantly surprised to see on the menu. I got a few delicious bites in before our usually fussy 7 yr old devoured it.
The menu was extensive enough to cater to anyone's taste. The pricing was reasonable.
The waiting time was surprisingly fast. After we ordered, it only took a few minutes before the first few dishes arrived.
The presentation of the dishes was colorful and appetizing. It was obvious that someone actually cared how the plates looked. The portions were generous. The pot of chrysanthemum tea was a great companion to the meal.
I was very pleased that the preparations were not oily as many of the mock meat Chinese vego places in KL use way too much oil to compensate for lack of expertise in cooking. Not the case here at all. The spicing was masterful and subtle. You could taste the lemongrass and ginger because they weren't overpowered by more easily identified flavors. There was a freshness about the meal that I'm not used to accompanying mock meat centered menus.
The only criticism I can think of is that the sweet and sour sauce wasn't as excellent as everything else we had. It was still pretty good, but not excellent.
We polished lunch off with the tiramisu. The texture was great and it wasn't overpoweringly sweet.
We're going back tomorrow, and trying some of the other dishes.
I'm giving the place 4 cows even though its the best meal I've had in KL ever. I got to leave some room in case something ever tops this place one day.

Pros: Warm personal staff, yum, dishes were presented nicely
Cons: little hard to find
KLGuy
KLGuy

A very nice restaurant with nice ambiance!

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2012

I had visited this restaurant during it's early opening stages but was unable to dine there during brunch time (11.30am) as they only opened @ 12 noon but went today as I saw that it had good reviews her & there was no regrets! I had button mushrooms with brown rice, my wife the 'rojak' & my son the spaghetti bolognese & a mushroom soup shared by the 3 of us & we all finished our food. We like the owners & the staff because they were polite & accommodating & recommended dishes according to my special diet requirements! This place is now on my regular visit list & I'm glad to recommend them for their good food & reasonable prices!They also sell organic & non organic vegetarian items but some of the items sold do contain egg so please do look out for the ingredients list on the products!

My 2nd visit was to celebrate my son's birthday & on this ocassions we had more people & they're good cooks & I'm glad to report that my guests was happy with the food provided even though they were non vegetarian. We had a taste of Pumpkin with Cereal Oats, Sambal petai, Chinese Sauce 3 Mushrooms, An Eggplant Dish & Asam Laksa. My Mum who is a non vegetarian & a good cook & from penang was quite impressed with their Assam Laksa & thus I would dare recommend it. The meal for 6 adults & 1 child was very reasonable for the ambiance, organic vegetarian & good service! For me it's a personal recommendation! And I'm adding an extra Star making the overall rating from very good to excellent based on today's meal!
Updated from previous review on Friday March 16, 2012

Pros: Nice Food , Reasonable Pricing, Friendly Staff
Cons: Parking(peak time)
WS Chan
WS Chan

Highly recommended restaurant

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

nice cosy ambience, the food is simply delicious with the perfect match of their aromatic flower tea. a must try restaurant. highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
michaelyong
michaelyong

Highly recommended

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

The restaurant has a cosy ambience that has a nice homely feel to it, nothing too fancy unlike other restaurants that looks very commercialized. Food is one of the best among the many restaurants that I have been to, usually there will be some dishes which is not as tasty but congrats' to the chef all dishes is just as good. If you like Baked Cheese Rice you got to try this place. Price is fair too considering the locality.
My 2012 wish, please have an outlet in PJ.

kenix
kenix
  • non-vegetarian

The Origin

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

A cozy vegetarian cafe restaurant located at Ampang, KL.
The foods are nice and at a reasonable price.

Must try the "Cheese Baked Rice" and Chef's special "Tiramisu". They are soooo delicious! =D

Pros: Nice Environment, Excellent Food, reasonable pricing

Dear Owner and Manager of The Origin:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Kuala Lumpur page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/02/24