Serves meat, veg options available. Only meat is their one daily fish entree, otherwise menu is vegetarian. BBQ seitan, tofu masala, grilled tofu sandwich, vegan waffles, and more. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Non-veg
123 First Ave (St Marks Pl, East Village, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10009
212-477-7177

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by philjdomm
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

This is a great little place

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

Out of all of the places I have been to around town, this is currently my favorite place for vegan brunch. The vegan tofu omelette, which is what my wife always orders, is excellent. I get the indecisive breakfast, or something like that. I can't remember the name, but it is two buckwheat pancakes, with a choice of fruit added, scrambled tofu, and two strips of fakin bacon or two sausage patties. It's very tasty, not overly oily, and lots and lots of veggies in the scrambled tofu. The coffee and teas are excellent and the place is comfortable.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Lots of vegan choices, Great brunch
Cons: Not 100% vegan, small
Wgoers
Wgoers

Great restaurant for Vegan food

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

Great food in a pleasant cafe. Everything except the fish is vegan (they have dairy cheese too). Laura is a fantastic server and loves to chat if she is not too busy!

The vegan ice cream is supposed to be great, but I had the peanut butter pie, woohoo!

Pros: Food, Vegan, Ice cream (vegan)
Cons: Can get busy!
markc7
markc7

Great place for vegetarian comfort food

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2011

I love this restaurant! It's worth coming in the morning for the scrambled tofu, but don't miss the tasty lunch and dinner menu. The decor is funky without trying too hard, and the staff are lovely.

Pros: Delicious food, Great staff, Reasonably priced
Cons: Not 100% vegan, Small resturant gets busy

nancyisorganic
nancyisorganic

Just perfect!

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2011

On our recent trip into NYC, we were struggling to decide which amazing veggie restaurant to go to, with so many to choose from how can one decide? We were so happy that we went to Organic Grill. It was Saturday afternoon so they were still serving their brunch menu. I had a craving for a good tofu scramble and so ordered the frittata with tofu. It had diced up pieces of veggie sausage, home fries, peppers and onions. With a drizzle of cashew cream over it. It was so yummy! And my husband got the tempeh portabella burger which he really loved too. Came with home fries. They have great flavored iced teas and if we were in the mood I would have loved to linger and had hot tea since they had so many options. This will definitely be one of my must go to stops again.

Pros: delicious food/portions, quick service, cozy atmosphere
Cons: none
aeclarke
aeclarke

Great Little Place

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2011

My husband and I stopped here for dinner on our last night in the city and we both loved it! Even from the outside it was a lot of fun, with its cute and quirky green exterior and the curtains in the door way. I had the seitan sandwich which was huge and just great. My husband had the tempeh reuben, which he really enjoyed. They had a wide variety of teas and hot drinks. The wait staff was extremely helpful and kind. Definite place worth going back too!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Atmosphere, Great Food
wellread
wellread

best sandwich I've had in a year

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2010

So I will preface by saying I rarely eat out anymore due to the economy, and almost never get takeout. But one night last week I was working late with a client and we were both starving. We picked through my menus and decided on Organic Grill. When I called to order the guy there said we must have an old menu as the items requested were no longer on the menu. He was very nice and patient while we picked out new things and asked for details and prices. The BBQ seitan sandwich is not there now. What I got instead on his recommendation was a seitan sandwich with sauteed peppers & onions. It was really just so delicious, surprisingly so. Tons of flavor, juicy but not so much that I couldn't pick up the sandwich (towards the end the bread did get pretty soggy but it was good). Mustard provided a bit of a kick. With home fries this made a pretty substantial meal, at $9.95 The slaw I figured would be a write-off but that was pretty d@mn good too, lightly dressed, and with some fresh herbs, probably basil. My client seemed to enjoy her southwestern style salad but honestly I was so wrapped up in my meal that I didn't pay much attention. Delivery wasn't exactly speedy but the food arrived warm.

I would love to eat this sandwich again but then it would be nice to try some of their other items too. I will probably go back once I can afford to eat out again.

Pros: seitan sandwich, helpful staff, decent value
JesiDi
JesiDi
  • raw

Love it!

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2010

Great food, friendly staff, delicious deserts! veg- friendly so you can enjoy with your non-veg friends.

Pros: Very Friendly Staff, Delicious!, Sweet Treats & Deserts
Renee
Renee

good food

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

i went here with a group of 5 people, they dont have a table large enough so we waited outside for some people to leave and the waiter pushed together a couple of tables and let us know when we could sit. it is a small place with out much seating, but what do you expect in nyc? we all enjoyed what we got, i wouldnt say it was amazing, but it was good. the meateaters in our group liked it too.

Pros: good food, healthy, large portions
cookiem
cookiem

Organic is good.

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2008

This place is great, in theory. It is very health-oriented, cozy, veg-focused and fresh. However, it is also a bit too cozy. Some of the tables are crammed so close together, even for the smallest folks, it is necessary to walk all the way to the end of the row of tables (think movie theater seating) to get in or move the table out to get to your seat. Not a good option to sit down, but fit once actually seated. The menu is voluminous and has many options. Out of all the times that I have been here though, it has never amazed me. For the health-conscious, it's a definite benefit to go here. For those who are into organic food, definitely go here. However, if you hope to have healthy, organic and tasetebud-tantalizing food, don't expect the final hope to ring true. One other complaint is the non-vegetarian nature: it's so close, why not go veg? The location is convenient though if you are looking for brunch on the LES. Decent place, slow service, edible food, but might be ever slightly so pricey for what you get. I might go here if everyone I know insisted on meeting there, but otherwise, I'll go elsewhere.

Pros: Healthy, Cozy
Cons: Small, Slow service, Lacks flavor
philjdomm
philjdomm

Brunch worthwhile

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2008

Ok, I had way too many vegan sausages and tofu scramble and vegan pancakes and no one does it better than these guys.
You can actually see and taste the vegetables on the tofuscramble. you can see and taste the fresh blueberries on the vegan buckwheat pancakes and it's not heavy.
perfect and light.

i hate those mock sausages where it taste like rubber and tofu scramble that look like chinese take out, i can cook better at home myself.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Organic Grill: