The Organic Food and Wine Deli

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers some vegetarian and vegan foods including curries, pasta, pies, salads, smoothies, organic drinks, and vegan sweet treats. Eat in or take home. Open daily. Price: Moderate more-less
Organic, Fast food, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ampallang
Veganswife
Veganswife

Great option for tennis takeaway lunch

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2014

We often of to Melbourne for the Australian Open Tennis tournament. The stadium does not cater adequately for vegans, so we always take a picnic lunch. Tofyd is our usual source of picnic supplies - a food range of vegetarian and vegan pies, rolls, salads and sandwiches. Not thrilling, but reliable, consistent and tasty.

Pros: Convenient location, takeaway or eat in, Range of salsa,,pies and others
Tiggy
Tiggy

OK for coffee but...

2 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2013

I go to this place regularly for coffee when I'm in town because it's one of only a handful of places in the CBD that has fair trade coffee and I want to support organic, vegan friendly places. It is in the 'cool' De Graves Street street cafe area and has mainly outdoor seating with only a few poky seats in a cramped space inside. Over the last year I've noticed that there is frequently a smell of sewage when I sit in DeGraves Street and there is clearly faulty plumbing somewhere but this did not seem to be addressed over a long period of time. Admittedly I have not been there since about October 2012 and of course this is not the fault of the cafe itself. There is a significant vegan selection but it tends to be commercial pre-made burgers, gluten-free pies, sushi rolls and things and I find them a bit dry, bland and disappointing, especially because the food is not at all cheap. They do have great vegan cakes though, often a choice of two or three. I'll continue to go for coffee and cake but not really anything else unless other options are limited.

Pros: Fair trade coffee, Substantial vegan options including cake, Organic
Cons: Mediocre to bad food, Limited seating, esp. in bad weather
Aloo
Aloo

Convenience is the key

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

TOFWD is conveniently located, with a wide range of products for vegans, and interesting enough for people who are not! Nice pies,and strong coffee. Great ambience to sit on Degraves (when there are seats) and watch the world go by. I feel that it is a bit expensive, I know I can get similar products elsewhere for less. But it all comes back to the convenience of the location & availability of products.

Pros: Range, Location
Cons: Value

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

really nice little place with some healthy options

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

I really would have liked to have tried the vegan pies, they looked amazing, but I stuck to the healthy options, which were the sushi and rice paper rolls, both amazingly good. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Its in a really hopping lunch time location filled with outdoor eateries. I highly recommend a stop by during lunch hour to soak in Melbourne's fabulous outdoor eatery culture.

Pros: vegan sushi, tons of vegan items, popular location
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Good for takeaway

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2009

We stopped in before our trip to Phillip Island to get some food we would eat for dinner. Lots of vegan options, but most were pies and rolls, which I really wanted to try, but we needed something that we didn't need to heat up. We picked the vegan sandwich, which was good, but pretty basic. We also took the beetroot and tofu roll which was tasty. The chocolate fudge ball was really rich and delicious, but a tad expensive for how small it was. Overall, I wish I'd had a chance to try some more items. The store is down a little laneway that reminded me of Europe.

Pros: lots of vegan options
Cons: serves meat
Petesternz
Petesternz

Good all around option.

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2009

This was a pretty solid option in the inner city - though I prefer the Soul Food Cafe outlet around the corner (if you can find it). It's just off Collins St. As for TOFWD, they had some good vegan options, and its a cute little store. You can eat what you purchase outside if it's not raining. I really enjoyed the spinach pie, and they had some nice looking sandwich options that were all gone when I arrived. Lots of vegan desserts which were good, but I've had better. The brownie was mediocre, and the poppy seed lemon cake was a solid B+. Worth visiting and worth the four cows everyone seems to be giving it. Definitely not worth five!

CarolR
CarolR

Like Dining at home

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2009

We visited Melbourne for a few days and thankfully this place was around the corner from our hotel. We had breakfast lunch and dinner here and it has absolutely everything! My husband can't eat gluten at the moment so the quinoa pasta with Tofu Bolognese was just great for him. They have a great assortment of vegan, sugar free, gluten free cakes, muffins etc. I was able to get large fresh beetroot, carrot and celery juice and their cappucinos with soy milk are so tasty. Loved this place.

Pros: Healthy, Vegan cakes, Fresh Juices
Cons: Sells some meat, pricey
loubee
loubee

Fantastic!

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2008

Recently visited Melbourne on holiday from NZ and was really impressed with this place. My husband and I went there three times in two days and everything we had was really yummy. Is mostly vegan/vegetarian. I spotted a few tuna salad rolls but that seemed to be all the non-veg stuff. Plenty of choice for vegans - pies, tempeh wraps, burgers, sandwiches, sushi, muffins, cakes, biscuits, sweets. Plus great coffee and service! Get there before 12 to avoid the Degraves St lunch rush.

ampallang
ampallang

years of great food

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2007

i've been going here for around 5 years now. They have changed a little by offering a few meat dishes. They have a great range of pies including pumpkin tofu and curry pies. Nice deserts and sweets. Really nice items clearly marked. Open 7 days a week open early til 6pm on weekdays and around 10am-5pm on weekends. Grea smoothies :) and organic drinks.

Pros: healthy food, diverse range, lovely staff
Cons: not open for dinner, sells meat

Dear Owner and Manager of The Organic Food and Wine Deli: