Market deli has vegan and vegetarian sandwiches, veggie plates, and daily soups. There are also vegan and non-vegan scones, muffins, bagels, and cookies. more-less

First Review by cindy_seattle
cindy_seattle
cindy_seattle

Beautiful Oasis in a S.A.D. part of the country!

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2009

Oberlin Market is a wonderful, little oasis, that is most likely thriving due to the local college clientele.

6/25/2009: It was a little difficult to find, but persistence paid off. Due to construction, you need to park along Main Street near the city center, or turn into what looks to be a driveway, right next to the Oberlin Tribune-News, across the sreet from the art gallery store. Behind the building is an old parking lot. I did not see a street sign where my GPS indicated. In that parking lot there is construction of what appears to be a parking garage, and in that parking lot is an adobe-style building with hand-made signs in the windows. You will find the Oberlin Market in this building.

It was a hot, humid day, and no air conditioning, but the store is sectioned off nicely into a grocery, bulk foods area and deli/smoothie bar/restaurant.

I am 100% raw vegan when I am at home, but it is hard to stay that way while travelling. There were enough raw and vegan choices to sustain me over a weekend visit. The store is stocked with a small cooler with organic foods/veggies. I did find raw nut butters and raw nuts and seeds in the bulk foods area.

I sat down in the deli/restaurant for lunch and ordered their Yeoman sandwich (Vegan) that came with a serving of marinated vegetable salad. Very yummy! I even took 16 oz. of the salad to go as well. Other yummy sounding selections were listed along with a couple fruit smoothies, juices, etc. The do offer flax seed oil, green food powder and hemp milk for the drinks, but no hemp powder.

They make very good use of the small space they have to provide as much variety as possible. The staff is pleasant and helpful. To say the least, I enjoyed my adventure and will be looking for it again when I return to the area.

Pros: choices, delicious food, friendly staff
Cons: difficult to find, signage

Dear Owner and Manager of The Oberlin Market: