Offers a small menu of comfort foods like the daily plate with soymeats and greens, plus sandwiches, dairy-free desserts, and smoothies. Simple space. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Southern American, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by philadread
s144799
s144799

Veg only restaurant, but food not great

2 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

I went to the Nile Cafe sometime in Fall 2012. Things may have changed since then as they were reopening after closed for a while when I went.

The food wasn't great. Everything is vegan at the restaurant. They have ice cream and possibly other veg desserts (I don't remember exactly). I remember a couple good items, but the rest I threw out because it wasn't edible. There are other great veg restaurants in the area, as the Philadelphia area is one of the best veg places in the country or even the world. Veg food can be just as good as non-veg, but this restaurant doesn't display this.

The staff seemed very nice, however. Also, the Nile Cafe mainly sells water to put into a water cooler.

Pros: Friendly staff, All veg
Cons: Food not great
Mark Ratkus
Mark Ratkus

Visit to Nile Cafe

3 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2010

The 16-bean soup is delectable and probably hearty enough for a lunch with a couple pieces of bread. For supper, though, the "roast duck" was way too dry with a texture of pulled pork and none of that "ducky" taste. On the day we visited the sides were limited to two, brown rice and braised collard greens. My dining companion liked, and so did I, her "barbecued chicken" that was moist and had a pineapple taste to it. The Nile also has some very tasty non-alcoholic beers with fruity flavors such as raspberry and strawberry. I'd return again, but I'd be sure to look over (you can by glancing through the kitchen-dining room pass through) the items to see which were obviously moist.

Pros: healthy food, price, friendly staff
Cons: dried out options

LRenee
LRenee

Pretty Darn Good!

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

Recent transplant visited The Nile Cafe, to find that the food tasted like home, if you can believe it, comfort food for vegetarians. I had the "duck", rice, Okra, Tomatoes & Corn, which were a little spicy, but good. The Coconut cake was unbelievable. If you're ever in the area, it is a "must do" on my list for vegetarian dining in Philly.

Pros: Excellent Food, Variety of Selection, Friendly Staff
Cons: Neighborhood not the greatest, No menu's available, Lacks ambience
lfusfeld
lfusfeld

Great!

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2009

This place is almost all vegan. The only non-vegan item is whey powder available for smoothies. The food is delish and the prices are reasonable. I'm a fan, though the location is not convenient for me.

Pros: great food
Cons: location
seashel61
seashel61

Life Saver

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2008

On 4/6/08 I viewed a film named Earthlings. I saw it twice, that was the last day I ate meat. So for 2 weeks I was horrified by just the site of meat. Couldn't even walk down the meat aisle in the market. My boyfriend (my best friend)took me to The Nile and that was the best food I have ever tasted. I had the spicy fish brown rice and cabbage. Oh then I had the most divine piece of double chocolate cake! I couldn't thank owner enough and not to say I couldn't that my best friend enough either. They even have a nice book story right beside the cafe. I'm sure to be a regular there and not to say that The Nile is now the catalyst for the other restaurants I have yet to conquer

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, healthy cuisine
Cons: small space
philadread
philadread

Fantastic Soy Cream

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2007

MY fiance and I both went to an evening jazz show during the summer at the Nile, during the intermission we tried the soy cream and pattie and they were both fantastic we had thirds and took a veggie pattie home for the pooch

Pros: nice atmosphere, nice staff, dessert
Cons: no breakfast

Dear Owner and Manager of The Nile Cafe: