Serves meat, veg options available. Several locations in California. Extensive menu includes many vegetarian dishes: sandwiches, salads, pasta, smoothies, a veggie soup of the day (sometimes vegan). You can ask to veganize a dish using veganaise, etc. Open for lunch and dinner. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Juice bar, American, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by jlautner
jamber79
jamber79

Good food!

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2011

This casual restaurant has lots of healthy veg choices that are very tasty. Can't beat the tempeh tacos, the Super natural platter, and the vegetarian daily soups.

earthville
earthville

So-so: acceptably tasty, marginally healthful

2 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

All the Natural Café locations serve the same middle-of-the-road fare: nothing stellar, but plenty of OK options.

Our main complaint about the Natural Café, besides the fact that it serves meat and doesn't always get special orders right (e.g. vegan dishes without dairy, etc.), is that the food is neither remarkably flavorful nor remarkably healthful. It's perfectly acceptable and better than a restaurant that makes no effort to use healthful, natural ingredients, but that's about all we can say in praise of the food. They do not make a point of using organic produce, and a lot of the food is fattening, so though "natural" is in the name, that doesn't strongly equate with genuinely healthful food.

Put less delicately: the Natural Cafe serves food that tastes like "health food" but isn't in fact especially healthful.

That said, we still prefer it to most other restaurants in Santa Barbara because at least they do have some OK vegan options and at least they do make a minimal effort to use fresh and "natural" (though not organic) ingredients.

Recommended (though not very enthusiastically) are the tempeh tacos (order without cheese) and the "natural tamale" (order without sour cream).

In the end, if flavor is more important to you than the minimal attempt at "natural" cuisine, you might be happier with one of Santa Barbara's several veg*n-friendly Asian and Italian restaurants.

Pros: Several vegan options, minimally healthful
Cons: Serves meat, Not organic, Not especially tasty, on the whole
xDalstarx
xDalstarx

Beware Vegans

3 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2009

All the bread at the natural cafe' is not vegan it contains honey. The item I usually order the old town salad with out feta cheese and tahini with grilled tofu, the soup is really good and I usually get it with out bread. What I get is really good and recommended but be careful of the employees will tell you all the burgers are vegan which is technically true but they forget to tell you about the bread. I ate there for years thinking it was vegan so bummed I was lyed to.

Pros: Fresh Food, Good Tofu
Cons: Expensive , Not much vegan food

jlautner
jlautner

A lot of choices for veg people

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2009

I have been to several Natural Cafes, many times to the one closest to me - San Luis Obispo. I just tried this one last Monday. I cannot resist the sauteed tofu here, even when I am trying to reduce the amount of fat in my diet. It is just not to be missed. The restaurant is large, airy, has a nice outdoor patio (dog-friendly perhaps?). As with the other Natural Cafes, you order at the counter, then find a seat and wait for your food to come to you. There are more veg choices here than there are meat, which makes this cafe stand out in my opinion. You can also get sides to make up a meal that meets your dietary needs - brown rice & steamed veggies, for example. I always enjoy eating here.

This location has the advantage of being on the way out of town for me, not caught in the downtown parking dilemma.

Pros: attractive restaurant, good food, earth-conscious
Cons: not all vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of The Natural Cafe - Hitchcock Way: