Popular Vancouver vegetarian restaurant. Varied menu and nightly live music. Not totally vegan, uses honey on gravy and sauces. Also, not all items marked dairy-free and egg-free on the menu are vegan, check with the server for confirmation. Open 7 days, 24 hours. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Macrobiotic

First Review by CherryCritter
helenx
helenx

Poor service. Long waits.

2 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

We had to join a long line to get a table, but worse than this was the wait we had to get the food after ordering. It was almost an hour before we got our food! The server never apologized or offered any explanation as to why we had to wait so long.
The food itself was reasonable, although not very warm. Although we have been to The Naam before and put up with the mediocre service, this time was the worst and we will not be going there again.

Pros: Good choice of menu
Cons: Bad service, Long waits, Lukewarm food
banchinil
banchinil

Blahyuck

2 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

Food not good. Steamed veggies were overdone with no seasoning, overwhelmingly tangy miso gravy ruined everything they smothered it over. I take that back. The stuff they smothered it over was bland by itself. The vegan steak was smashed down hash brown style nuts, seeds, and veggies with poor flavor. The thai bowl had a bland sauce. The noh banana nut date cream pie had an OK crust but I could not eat the filling. The oatmeal raisin cookie was very hard, as if it was over a week old. Bottom line, neither of us had one good item. The site is not letting me go below 2 cows. I rate it one, only because the service was ok.

Pros: Open 24 Hours, Live Evening Entertainment
Cons: Every Food Item Was Poor
kenvegan
kenvegan

24 Hour Vegetarian Restaurant, Average Food

3 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

It was a raining Vancouver night, and after my friend and I got off to a bit of a late start searching for a veg place to eat. Most veg restaurants close by 9PM in Vancouver, so we were delighted to find a veg restaurant that is open 24 hours a day.

The line was quite long when we arrived at 9:15PM on a Wednesday, but the wait was only about 5 minutes.

The decor in the restaurant is very comforting, and has a small-town rustic cafe feel. The servers were very helpful in explaining which items were the most popular, and which dishes could be made vegan.

The only issue I had this this restaurant was the food quality. I ordered the tempeh reuben, and it was average at best. When I am in any city and see a tempeh or vegan reuben available on a menu, I order it.

Unfortunately, this reuben will go down as one of the worst I have had. It was dry, and lacked flavor. I ordered a double fudge chocolate cake for dessert, and this was decent, but I have certainly had much better desserts elsewhere.

The fact that this restaurant is open 24 hours a day is very convenient. I do plan to try their vegan pancakes, as I hear these are great.

I might recommend this place if you are out very late and there are no other veg alternatives.

Pros: Open 24 hours a day, ambiance, service
Cons: food is bland

heywood100
heywood100

Good food, good atmosphere, long waits

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

The food at The Naam was excellent (at least as a veggie rather than a vegan) - I had the golden bowl, which consisted of huge chunks of potato, generous helpings of cheese, miso gravy, tofu, and vegetables. The serving was huge, and the general 'fats and carbs' style of the food was perfect after a long day of cycling.

The place itself also seemed fun, with live music, a patio, and a lot of chatter from the many patrons. One small complaint is the amount of time it took to get service at the end of the meal - I think we spent about half an hour trying to get the bill paid, which isn't fun when you're tired and need to catch a bus. But if you have more time (or a bit of patience), this would be an excellent place to go.

pay
pay

Vegan un-friendly & poor quality

2 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2014

Naam used to be better but food quality has gone down significantly.

Everything is over-cooked, potatoes are often burnt, sauteed vegetables are limp & there is too much green peppers, too much onions & huge chunks of them.

Besides the tofu scramble, there are not too many other vegan breakfast options. Vegan Pancakes are very inconsistent. Sometimes they are thick & fluffy but most other times, they are thin, chewy & tasteless.

I always liked the staff especially the management but the problems mentioned above prevent me from eating there again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Economical, Nice patio
Cons: Over cooked food, Limited vegan options, Food left on the grill all day
kvandervegan
kvandervegan

Great food, Awful service

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

I've been to the Naam so many times and the experience I have is always the same: I LOVE the food, and I HATE the service. It's hard to believe a place can a) be so polar opposite on those two aspects, and b) be so consistently horrible with service, especially since I've never had the same server twice.

I've had several items on the menu, I usually ask what the server's favourite dish is and I'm never dissapointed. The dragon bowl and buddah's feast are my favourite, and anything with their house made Miso Gravy is worth trying! Their vegan poutine was one of the first things to try and it was so delicious and filling I barely could eat my entree!

If you go in knowing you won't be getting first class service, you won't be dissapointed by the food. I might consider take-out instead the next time I have a craving.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable prices, Live music
Cons: Long waits, Unattentive staff
gaffer
gaffer

Generally good but less so for vegans

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

I'd actually give it 3.5/5 if I could. Opening hours literally can't get any better - it's really nice you can have an apres-midnight veg. meal or snack. Service is usually good, though it can vary from charming to near-disgruntled. Portions are generous and decent, though somehow lacking for vegans and less exciting on your plate than they seem on the menu... Yes, the blueberry shake is great, and so is the choc-raspberry pie.

Pros: opens all the time, Good selection, esp. for non-vegans
Cons: Can get very crowded and noisy, food a bit unremarkable
Evguy422
Evguy422

Excellent Place!

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2013

Was SO bummed that I saved this place for the end of my trip to Vancouver. Awesome vibe, great food, and easy to get to location. Others had said it was tricky to figure out which foods have eggs and dairy and which don't, which was why I was reluctant to go. Not true at all! Everything that doesn't have dairy and eggs or just doesn't have eggs is CLEARLY labeled. Also they're open 24 hours which is great. Went there for dessert on my last night, excellent Apple-Bluberry VEGAN pie, and my partner had really good VEGAN Carrot cake. The service was a bit slow, but it was 11:30 at night, so the vibe slows down. Next day stopped there on our way out of Vancouver had the super special with vegan pancakes, tofu scramble, and vegan sausage. Delicious! Coffee was great, the refilled me 3 times and as New Yorker I like my coffee refilled, and the service was super quick. Would totally recommend to fellow vegans.

Pros: Great Food, Good Price, Friendly Service
Cons: Slow service at night, Not in Downtown area
lovela5
lovela5

Very good in general

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

I liked this place. I went there twice and I didn`t regret it. The portions are huge and the food tastes really good. It heavy though. They are open 24/7 so thats a huge plus :)

Pros: Huge portions, Good value, Open late
vegan frog
vegan frog

Should do better.

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

Average food, poor service, Naam seems to cater more to students and omnivores. The portions are huge but they don't need to be. They should focus more on quality and taste rather than quantity. They don't seem to care much about vegans either since many of their dairy free/egg free dishes contain honey. Their homemade miso contains honey and they smother it everywhere they can. Have been there more times than I would wish because sadly many people seem to enjoy mediocre food but sorry Naam you can do better and with more and more competition in Vancouver, you are going to have to.

Pros: Location?
Cons: Service, Bland food
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

delicious food

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

Several vegan items on the menu. Popular place: all tables were full on the covered patio.
I had the Naam steak platter (wish it wasn't called "steak"), which costs $13.25: veggie-nut patty, miso gravy, sesame fries, steamed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). Satisfying meal.
I took away a piece of vegan chocolate carrot cake. Delicious: seedy, moist, sprinkled with coconut. It is a very big slice, so it's sharable or good as a takeaway. If I lived in Vancouver, I'd eat here often.

Pros: large menu, friendly service, tasty food
Cons: could have even more vegan items
QuothTheRaven
QuothTheRaven

Delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

My friend recommended this place since I first met her in December. My husband and I live in Whitehorse and recently made a trip down to Vancouver. We were with my friend and we decided to try it out.

First off, the menu is HUGE and what a selection of vegan options! Everything is marked if it is vegan indicating no dairy, no eggs, which is a definite plus in my books.

All the food we got was delicious, the service was great and prompt. It was a wonderful experience and probably the best vegetarian restaurant I have ever been to. Awesome!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Great service, Delicious food
Cons: Busy
ajmeyer
ajmeyer

A+ experience

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

I visited Vancouver on vacation and decided to try the naam after having been given several recommendations. All I have to say is that the Shakti cake was the best vegan desert I have ever tasted. I got up from the table almost feeling dizzy from satisfaction. I thought the service was fast despite it being totally packed. My dinner was also fantastic and I wish I lived in Vancouver to be able to taste everything on the menu.
Don't miss out and don't walk away if you see a line outside the door; it usually goes by quickly and the wait is so worth it.

I know where I'm going next time I'm intown!

Pros: Amazing Food, Amazing Desert, Funky Interior
Cons: Line outside the door, Can be loud
UnsexyVeganMale
UnsexyVeganMale

Don't go here if u are vegan

2 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

=having a long history in this city and being well known among part time vegetarians doesn't justify all of the accolades that this place gets year in & year out
=the food there was passable

+open 24 hours
+nice environment

-in my experience, poor service
-do not go here if you are vegan

---the longer that I've been vegan, the more paranoid I've become, so the last time I was there, the server ended up getting ahold of the kitchen ingredients binder for all of their menu items, and to me, it seemed that several of what I expected to be vegan items, in fact, had dairy byproducts. Not trace amounts, but actually as an ingredient. So ever since then, I have yet to go back, and will likely never go back there again.
I have now started down that slippery slope of not completely trusting "vegetarians" when it comes to genuine vegan food....
Updated from previous review on Friday January 06, 2012

mcgyver68
mcgyver68

It has all been said before

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2011

I've dined at the Naam 3 or 4 times in the past couple years. Everything said before is still true, so here are the things important to me:

Yes, the wait can be interminable and outside. Turns out the Fire Marshall paid them a visit recently and banned the practice of congregating in the doorway while waiting for a table. So now you are fully outside, waiting, amidst confusion over who was here first, etc.

The food is tasty, but can be very loaded with cheese. If that's your thing, terrific. Light, vegan fare it is not.

The staff has never really been 'rude' in my experience. But they are very busy and have a carefree attitude towards customer service. And who can blame them with people lined up at their door 24 hours a day. Something is working, so why mess with success? However, I believe if they ever got any real competition, they'd need to straighten up real quick.

A word about the "live music"... Sometimes it is pleasant, sometimes it is not. In every event, it is amplified too loudly. One night last summer there was some dude with a guitar who was warbling at around 6,000hz into the microphone while picking his guitar frenetically under high amplification. I literally wanted to strangle the guy. Or at least cut his amp cord. It really interfered with enjoying a meal. So keep that in mind if you are looking for a quiet night out.

Pros: Yummy comfort food, Old school, hippy style, large portions
Cons: Long wait, Can be LOUD, Ambivalent staff
Vegies Rule
Vegies Rule

Loved It!

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2011

I find myself totally confused by all the negative reviews because my sister and I absolutely loved this place! We ordered the Tempeh Reuben with Sesame Fries and Miso Gravy and the Italian Melt. All of the food was wonderful! Full and fresh flavor, attractive presentation, hot items were hot and cold items cold. The service was relaxed but pleasant and the live entertainment was great too. I am totally looking forward to going back.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Live Entertainment
Cons: Gluten free items not well identified
smania
smania

Long wait in a long line

3 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

The wait was long, and they had us stand in the door way, from the middle of the first room out to the sidewalk. The wait-staff seemed nice, if not a little inattentive. The Asian Noodle bowl was very good, and HUGE. The Dragon plate was macrobiotic, and basically nutritionally deficient; it was steamed cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, and brown rice, with very good sauce. The Buddha's Feast is large enough for three people; good, but not exciting. The carrot cake was very good. The vegan chocolate carrot cake tasted more like pumpkin spice cake, not carrot cake.

Pros: huge portions, pleasant, quiet live music
Cons: limited wine selection, long wait
liversounds
liversounds

Crunchy crunchy averageness...

2 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2011

Yeah, the last place I lived had a similar restaurant... I'm guessing: been around the area, like, forever; has a loyal following; and somehow got enough recognition to garner visits from anyone from out of town (or, with the hours, anyone both vegetarian and drunk after 3am)...
The main point here is that I have had really good vegetarian food in my life. Creative/inventive, prepared with an eye to modern culinary techniques and ideas, and challenging yet expertly prepared. The Naam has very little to none of this...
What the Naam does have is a lot of potatoes with skins on, thick slices of multigrain bread, and mildly (read "hardly") spiced casserole-y items.
At least two possibilities: 1) the menu was created 25 years ago and has never been updated; or 2) the menu was created for/by vegans (this particular bunch not being that picky), and then was later adapted for full-blooded vegetarians.
In either case, this local favorite seems and tastes complacent.

Pros: 24 hours
Cons: Food, Creativity, Variety
stawamas
stawamas

WOW! THEY NEVER CLOSE !!! OPEN 24 HOOURS A DAY !!!

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

I love the Buddha's Feast (huge portions), fresh carrot juice, scrambled tofu, sesame fries (although they are often burned, which they are unable to control) and the fresh home made soups. Delicious herbal teas! Live entertainment nightly! The prices are great! The ambience is wonderful: rustic and down-to-earth! They even have a warm fireplace for cold days and a natural gas heated patio! Lots of free parking!

Pros: Delicious food, Mostly vegan with organic ingredients, Great prices
Cons: Slow service when busy, Fries are often burned
yyyyy
yyyyy

Who is being served?

2 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

Repeated reviews saying service "sucks" (and other disappointments). No patrons no restaurant, somehow the patrons have convinced the restaurant the opposite-that we are here for them. A good number of more public postings of a "sucky" attitude and "sucky" service and a concerted and well-orchestrated "strike" effort not to eat there for weeks at a time would start changing the attitude that we are there to serve them.

Cons: M
yardkitty
yardkitty

so so

2 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

Okay - so I'm in the minority of those who don't love this place. I've only been there once and I suppose my expectations were high based on the awards and reviews that when I went there and ate - I was a bit disappointed. For brunch there were not that many options without eggs and the tofu scramble that came was pretty much what I make at home. The atmosphere/ decor is a bit granola and boy was the place doing a swift business - so I suppose a lot of folks like it here.

Ne-Ne
Ne-Ne

LOWERED STANDARDS

2 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

I know were all different and our acceptance of things vary between person to person, but I can't imagine how anyone would return here for a second time. Even if you received good customer service (highly unlikely) how is it possible to look past the filth? Nasty, dirty, unsanitary, disgusting place. GROSE GROSE GROSE, likely the dirtiest restaurant experience I've ever had.

Pros: Having the option to walk out!
Cons: DIRTY, NO Customer service, DIRTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
scocasso
scocasso

It's an institution

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2010

First off, yes, the service sucks, but guess what, it's SUPPOSED TO SUCK!! That's part of the 'atmosphere'. The service has ALWAYS been like this; for what, 30 years, and it's not going to change.

If you are looking for fast food, and you are starrrrrving, go somewhere else - a mistake I've made myself. It can be a loooooong wait, especially if there is a line-up out the door, so this is where you want to go *before* you get hungry, and sit around chatting and having a drink or two... or three... before your meal arrives (guaranteed, if it's busy).

I've had lots of good meals here. This place was one of the first of its kind. It was one a few places I could get a vegan meal for many many years. The best thing about it, is that all of my non-veg friends can come along also and find something to eat, and they've got alcohol too (although I don't drink, many people do), so it makes it a good hang-out for all those UBC students. It has been around for a long time, the menu hasn't changed much, if at all, in the last decade. Guess what, I don't eat here anymore simply because there are so many better places to eat now (with more vegan choices) -- they've got to update their menu if you ask me. And I know people that have worked at the NAAM and is has been said, "I don't think the kitchen staff even know what the meaning of Food Safe is," and, "the reason the food takes so long is because there's one Indian lady in the kitchen running the whole show."

Don't come here for breakfast, it's ALL EGGS & CHEESE!!

And there's often live music, but I've been there so many times, and only seen live music once.

Anyway, it's a cool 1970s hippie joint where ya go to hang out with friends, chit chat, have a drink, and eat too. Don't think of it as a *restaurant* where you will be waited on at your beck and call; the staff are generally too young and hip for that sort of thing, so chill out, okay.

Pros: open 24hrs, something for everyone, hip place to hang-out
Cons: not enough vegan stuff, often slow service, some do not 'get' the aloof service
  • j.lee j.lee

Aside from the wait time, service wan't really an issue when I went here (or at least it was the smallest issue). However, if you're in the "service" industry, I can honestly say that service is the one thing that's not supposed to suck. Having terrible service isn't quirky or ironic, it's just bad business.

karenmar
karenmar

indifferent service

3 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2010

I was keen to try this place after reading about it on various forums. When I arrived it was about 4pm so not a peak time, and there were a few tables taken. However after being shown to a table and given a menu to look at I became invisible as nobody wanted to take my order. Sensing that this was going to take up too much time waiting for food to arrive, and because I had limited time I opted for a juice, and bought a cookie to take away when I went to the counter to pay. It was a shame that they couldn't care less about serving me as I was keen to try their food. From some of the other reviews I have read it appears to be a common problem. A 24/7 veg restaurant is a great idea only as long as they have the service working!!

Pros: good menu, 24/7 operation
Cons: poor service
Liam Wilson
Liam Wilson

24 hours!?

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

Although I can't say that there was a super wide-variety of vegan options, what they had was pretty amazing and the portions were huge! I had the Naam burger, a Noh Pie, and a dragon bowl to go...all of which were totally satisfying. I couldn't believe this place was open 24 hours, we need more places like this around the world. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Pros: 24/7 Hours
j.lee
j.lee

Underwhelmed

2 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2010

We visited this restaurant on a trip to Vancouver a while back...I don't know if the menu has changed much, but there were a few things that stuck out to me - besides the ridiculous wait times:

Chocolate Raspberry Vegan cake: I swear to god, the first couple of bites tasted like chocolate cherry Robitussin. fix the recipe. Might I recommend the Sinfully Vegan cookbook?

Giant potato wedges are not "fries." Maybe "steak fries" but not fries. Also, a giant crushed up falafel patty with slightly different spices doesn't constitute a "vegetarian steak" to me.

This is just a small thing. No margarine? We asked the waitress about this and were told that they didn't use it because there was "too much oil" in it. Don't look at me with a straight face and say that while you serve eggs, butter and milk to half the other customers in the place. Spectrum is a perfectly healthy, non-gmo, non-hydrogenated spread. If the management isn't willing to shell out for it, just say it.

That's pretty much all I have to say on that subject. There are many good places to eat in Vancouver. However, if you're not ovo-lacto, I would probably avoid this one.

Cons: food quality, long wait time
Veganryche
Veganryche

24 hour Vegan Food!!! :-)

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2010

The best thing about The Naam, it's open 24 hours! Can I say that again? 24 hours, 7 days a week! How can you get better than that? I wish there was one in my neighborhood or even in my city! I've been to The Naam a few times and I even went there once twice in one day--many hours apart of course. I remember the vegan dessert, a blueberry/apply cobbler with vegan ice cream I believe it was, was awesome! I will definitely be back for more, hopefully, soon. It's quite a drive up there from the Seattle area but it's definitely worth stopping by, even on a day trip. Like said before, try to go during off times and you won't have to wait in line as long, or at all and you'll be waited on quicker.

Pros: 24 hour vegan foood!!!, Yummy desserts, Large portions, not too expensive
Cons: Long lines during busy times, Service can be a bit slow when busy, More vegan options would be great
kimward8
kimward8

Second Chance

3 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2010

After going to the naam when I first moved here 5 years ago, and being put off by the lack of vegan options, dirty cutlery and rude staff, I decided to give it a second chance.

This time, the server was nice, and the vegan options have improved, as they are now offering daiya vegan cheese (a great new vegan cheese made in North Van) to be substituted for anything on their menu. So I will probably be giving them a third chance...

sXe_22
sXe_22

Very Good!

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

I had a quite long walk to arrive, my hostel was distant but the expectation was respected. I ate very well (a big tempeh burger plate) with quite big portions for a reasonable price. there was acoustic live music and art exposition too: good environment! finally it is not the best restaurant in the world, but it is okay to have good time and eat healthy food!

Pros: good value for money, environment, live music
thelink
thelink

Great place

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2009

We had dinner at the Naam 3 years ago while visiting Vancouver and we couldn't wait to go there again when we were in Vancouver this June.

Both nights the restaurant was busy but we didn't wait too long to get a table. And we enjoyed listening to the live music while waiting. The staff was very friendly.

3 years ago we had dragon bowls and realy liked them. This time we had the Teriyaki Stir Fry and the Naam Burger and were equally happy.

This time we also had dessert. We ordered the Shakti cake and the Raspberry Chocolate cake and they were both soooooooo delicious. The pieces were very generous, we actually shared one piece and took the second one home.

We also couldn't resist trying the Pear cider and loved it.

If we ever go back to Vancouver I really want to go back the Naam. I'd love to try their breakfast.

celestialstar2004
celestialstar2004

It was a typical vegetarian hippie restaurant

3 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2009

I would say that Naam was OK. They did not get my breaakfast order correct 3X and it was just simple scrambled tofu. Could have put a little effort in presentation.

dagny70
dagny70

Oh my dog, Miso Gravy!

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2009

Miso gravy is my new favourite thing, and it's all thanks to The Naam. We ate here twice on a recent visit to Vancouver (breakfast & dinner), and it was fantastic. Massive portions, varied menu, lots of new & exciting things to try. We had seitan steak, veggie burger, homefries the wonderful miso gravy for dinner, and big pancake breakfasts with delicious veggie sausage and Sam Strips. Decor is very bo-ho and funky, and although we were warned about slow service, I can't say we noticed this. I cannot rate this place highly enough, the food was amazing and inexpensive, and the choice was great.

Pros: Tasty food, Large choice, Big portions
LadyVolsFreakDeb
LadyVolsFreakDeb

Worth the wait!

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2009

Please don't go here for lunch if you are in a hurry. Do go here for lunch if you have a big appetite and a little extra time. The staff was a bit slow in acknowledging us at the door, slow seating us, slow taking our order, and slow to get us our food, but it was all worth the wait. I had the Cashew & Avocado Enchiladas. Who would have thought to put all of these flavors together into one dish? It was amazing. My spouse had the special which was curried lentils, chickpeas, and potatoes. It was the best curry dish she's had in a very long time. The place was packed and it was understandable why. This place knows good food and they know how to prepare it (even if it's a little slow).

Pros: Large portions, Excellent food, Creative
Cons: Service was slow, Place was a little dirty
Lisa G
Lisa G

Wish we had one in Orlando

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2009

This was by far the best place we ate while visiting the Northwest. We didn't find anyone rude. Our order was taken in a reasonable time, we were seating upon walking into the building and our food came shortly after we arrived. My picky son ate a soy burger and had no negative comments (this is a good thing). I ate the Naam bowl which was huge and the peanut sauce was very tasty. Daughter had a pizza and ate it all. Husband had a similar meal, but in a sandwich. Dessert was also really good and selection was enormous.

Pros: Selection, Portions, Dessert
Cons: busy
  • Celestialvegan Celestialvegan

Wish we had one in Ontario...nothing comes close!

cpk
cpk

Really cool mix of choices

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2009

We had a great dinner at the Naam while visiting Vancouver. I enjoyed a delicious Thai peanut noodle dish with veggies (sort of like Pad Thai, but completely vegan) and my husband ordered a vegan "steak" with miso gravy that was also fantastic. We also shared a vegan chai milkshake, which you could never go wrong with! This place is really cute, open 24hrs, good pricing (affordable). It stays busy, so beware a slow kitchen from the crowds. Overall, a great experience, and great leftovers!

Pros: good value, cute environment, delicious food
Cons: a little sluggish when busy
christine_bean
christine_bean

Good Food, Rude Service

2 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2009

As a visitor in Vancouver I tried the Naam twice in 3 days. The food was good each time however the service was awful and slow. The first visit I explained the bad service away to being a busy mothers day brunch, however the Second visit was during a part empty dinner service. The staff did not smile, make pleasantries or even acknowledge us for upwards of over 10 minutes each time, and then took approximately 20 minutes each time to take our drink orders, let alone food. The portions were large, the food was good, and the prices were reasonable however i would not return to such a snobby environment.

Pros: good price, good food, large portions
Cons: rude staff, long wait
minchoudhary0827
minchoudhary0827

slow and slow

3 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2009

after seeing so much about naam, we decided to go there for our sunday lunch,we were waiting for 20 mins before seat,then another 15 mins before someone realising us,then she came to take order also placing forks and nephkins,i am not sure they are polished or not,then after 25 mins for my asain bowl and my husband's pissza, food was ok ok,not really special,i think the reason it is famous is because it has large menu and vegan food.
it is not good for busy office people who looking for fast lunch.

marla
marla

Naam

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2009

My favorite restaurant. I have never had anything bad to eat here. This place is always busy. Service is slow but so worth the wait. The portions are huge. Very vegan friendly.

Pros: excellent food, huge portions, good value
Cons: small,busy, slow service
maryb
maryb

disappointing

3 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

i've only been there once, and i was really disappointed. the food was pretty poor, and the service sucked. but the menu was huge, so maybe we just didn't choose good dishes. i will give it another try!

Pros: selection
Cons: service
Maddymac
Maddymac

Noh Pie is amazing!

4 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2008

The Naam is a good place to go if your hungry and want a huge hearty meal, However i would go their more for the atmosphere than the food, It's kind of like the Denny's for vegetarians sinch it's open 24/7. I would recomend going just for the desert. There are tons of vegan options. Try th Noh pie, it is to die fore, it's sugar free, gluten free and vegan but it just taists amazing, just like a bannana cream pie!!

gisaster25
gisaster25

Classic weekend brunch

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

I had a delicious brunch platter with all the classics: scrambled eggs, toast, home fries. Very reasonably priced. Worth the out-the-door wait to get a table and slowish service (obviously the kitchen was swamped). I'd read glowing reviews of the miso sauce, so I ordered it as a side for my home fries - salty and kind of gross, though.

Pros: Yummy brunch, Convivial atmosphere
Cons: Wait for tables and food

Excellent & HEALTHY food

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2008

Perfect to veg-heads and vegans alike. Yummy stuff and the coolest, chilled out atmosphere ever. Love the patio, so lusciously green and plain cool. Servers are cool, casual. LOVE THIS PLACE.

fuchsiaunicorn
fuchsiaunicorn

is it ok to fall in love with your teacher?

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

hello,just a funny fact after visiting the naan for the first time I became kind of addicted specially the desserts but not only,it took me a few more years to completely switch to vegetarian not that easy when you cook for your own and there is no naam to make it all sweet and good.But somehow the concoction of flavors,rythms and vibes that are very carachteristic of the place made me realise the valuable adventure of surviving without hurting and killing the innocent when nature is all we really need to keep us alive when it comes to fueling up our bodies.

Pros: hip neighborhood, 24 hours of flavor, healthy in great manner
Cons: crunchy floors
loving_veggies
loving_veggies

YES!!! VEGGIE BRUNCH!!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2008

THIS is my favorite comfort-food restaurant! The Sam burger is my favorite...I get it everytime!! The veggie sausage is sooo yummy too, pancakes and waffles! YUM! ENJOY!!!

Pros: Amazing, Fun place, Cheap
villageidiot
villageidiot

Totally not worth the hype

2 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2008

Everyone said to go here when we visited and I honestly can't figure out why. The dragon bowl was totally blah and the other food we got was not memorable either. We were totally disappointed. :(

Pros: none
Cons: dragon bowl, blah atmosphere

I eat here a lot

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2008

I live in Vancouver and go there quite a bit. They have really awesome home made type food. Some good vegan eats there are: The NAAM burger, The Naam Steak platter, asian noodle soup (for cold days), Buddha's Feast, Naam dragon bowl, deep fried tofu, Hummous and pita, Scrambled tofu (for breakfast), Apple cranberry pie, shakti cake, apple crisp and the smoothies are really good too. Eat here for good food, nice atmoshpere and feeling good when you leave!

Pros: good prices, great homemade type food, nice outdoor patio for summer
Cons: very busy, patio not always open
Mimi123
Mimi123

Disappointing

2 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2008

After reading a number of good reviews of The Naam, I went here for brunch with my husband. The food was okay, but as vegans the odour of eggs was quite bothersome. They might benefit from some better ventilation or maybe having a vegan/non-vegan section.

Pros: okay food
Cons: Unfriendly service, Bad ventilation
marymac
marymac

Good spot

3 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2008

It seems they're renown for their terrible service, so don't go if you're starved or in a rush. But if you're feeling tolerant, the food is excellent. Selection could use to be improved... atmosphere is quirky.

Pros: yummy
Cons: slow service, limited selection
NicoleV
NicoleV

Decent comfort food

4 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2007

The hugely popular Naam has been around for a long time. It's almost always packed, especially after 5 p.m. on weekdays when there are often lineups more than a dozen people deep and going out both front doors. Be prepared to stand in line for a while if you want to eat here.

The inside of the restaurant can be a bit grungy, owing to the fact they are often busy and are open 24-hours (except for Christmas day). It also has quite intimate seating (read: most of the time you are sitting very close to other patrons). There are sometimes musicians that play music in the evenings. In the summer, there is a very pleasant, shaded pattio off to the side of the restaurant.

The menu is large and ecclectic and is very vegan-friendly (the Naam is a vegetarian resto). They offer very homey comfort food and is the place to go if you're looking for a laid-back atmosphere and not too much fuss. Somtimes the service can be a bit slow, but that's usually due to a packed restaurant and not enough servers. The prices and generous servings are suitable to most people's budgets and appetites.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good location, Very vegan-friendly
Cons: A little grungy, Can get very busy, Intimate seating
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

24hrs vegan comfort food!

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

I fondly don't remember my first trip to Naam. I was in town on business and got smashed with my colleagues and remember flashes of ordering a vegan hot dog at 4 in the morning??? Luckily I've been able to make it back there sober many times :) The sesame fries are must gets. The line gets super long at peak times, just tough it up and enjoy the company or come back at odd hours. 24x7 vegan food is not something you want to miss. Naam is a stand out worldwide for vegans!

Pros: 24x7, fries
Cons: long lines
nephaline
nephaline

Pleasant

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2007

The only thing I didn't like about the Naam, was the 20 minutes we spent standing in line to get in. My friend used to work there and said that it is usual to wait, and the Naam doesn't take reservations. I very much enjoyed my Naam burger with salad and Miso dressing, it was so filling that I had no room for dessert. My companion had an enchillada and salad and was also pleased. Once we were seated, service was quick and very friendly, we didn't wait long for our meals. The main dining room was very noisy, but we were lucky to be seated in a narrow room attached to the main, where we could speak and hear each other without distraction. Would definately go again and try some of their stir frys when I'm next in Vancouver.

Pros: good food, fair prices, good service
Cons: Long wait, noisy
wendystrebe
wendystrebe

Crazy Cool

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2007

Our visit to the Naam was very enjoyable. Not so many vegan choices, but the food was outstanding when it arrived. It was busy and fast paced, but there was some great live music and friendly, happy people.

Pros: good value, large portions, good variety
Cons: noisy, long waiting line
little_bit
little_bit

This is the best Vancouver has to offer?

2 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2007

I was completely let down by the Naam. The highlight of the meal was cracking up about how awful the food was. We ordered three dishes and every single one was disappointing, one of them was not even what we had ordered in the first place. Beets and carrots come as a garnish whether it is asian, mexican, or italian food that you order. The only thing this restaurant did for me was make me feel 10x luckier to live in Seattle.

Pros: Good blueberry pie
Cons: Tasteless, bland, Poor service, Ridiculous prices
philjdomm
philjdomm

it's my hang out=24 hrs a day

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2007

hey...do u know any 24 hrs diner that serve healthy? so go to NAAM!! i dont like the owner's "fast-pace" serving. it's like he's high on speed or something trying to get your order in and get you out. otherwise, i luv everybody else. they r my bud's man! awesome, awesome place and to hang out!

Pros: late nite healthy food, good people, worth it
Cons: dont like the speedyowner
CherryCritter
CherryCritter

Simply LOVE IT.

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2007

I love this place. It has exactly the kind of comfort food I crave. I had a spinach and feta pie with salad and THOSE FREAKING YUMMY SESAME FRIES! I'm not a huge miso fan to begin with so I don't love the miso gravy but it is tasty and I do dip into it a little. There are alot of choices so even if I bring an Omni friend there, they have tons to choose from and can even find a dish to eat if they're particularly picky. The Veg food isn't scary for Omni's and it's excellent for Veg's and Vegans (be sure to ask what is Vegan and they can sub soy "dairy" choices etc for certain, not all, dishes). It's easy to see why it's been around so long!

Pros: awesome selection, good for Omnivore friends, funky
Cons: can be slow

Dear Owner and Manager of The Naam: