The Mustard Seed

Organic and natural food market. Stocks a range of foods, bulk staples, nutritional supplements, and more. Deli has mostly vegetarian and vegan food, including soups, sandwiches, wraps, salads, baked goods, and a changing daily special. more-less

First Review by bill
TexasChristy
TexasChristy

This place makes this town work for me

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

From the first time I stepped in to the Mustard Seed, I felt at home there. The staff is friendly and helpful, the store is clean, well laid out, and stocked as well as one could hope for in a small town. I feel very lucky that the Mustard Seed exists. I miss having much larger health food stores, but for a few years, the Mustard Seed will serve me well enough. I've enjoyed everything I've tried from their small cafe too.

bambi
bambi

Vegan and Vegetarian Heaven

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2011

My husband is stationed in Fort Drum, NY which is probably a vegan and vegetarian's worst nightmare considering the alarming amount of fast-food restautrants. When my husband told me about a little placed called The Mustard Seed I definitely had to check it out and I was thoroughly impressed. I'm from Los Angeles, CA so finding a health food store is as easy as finding a Starbucks; so when I found out about The Mustard Seed I felt at home. They have everything that a large health food store carries-but in a small and cute store. I haven't bought anything from the deli but I will definitely do so when I move to the Fort Drum/Watertown area.

Thank you Mustard Seed for exsisting! You will definitely make my stay in Upstate NY more pleasant.

Guest
Guest

Awesome Place

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2010

I just moved to the area from Denver, Colorado and was THRILLED to find The Mustard Seed. They are a lot smaller than many of the health food stores in Denver but they carry just as many awesome products as any of the other stores I have shopped at. The store is very clean and the Deli is wonderful. Their prices are a little higher but that is expected because they are a small, family owned business (I met the owner, Scott) in a town where people don't seem to live and breath the healthy lifestyle like they do in Denver. I am always willing to pay a little more to shop local and at a non-corporate/chain store anyways. Besides, you have to pay for quality. I really don't get the "attitude from staff" complaints. Everyone I came into contact with there was really cool and super nice.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, HEALTHY :)
Cons: I don't like to focus on the negative :)
Laura Pope
Laura Pope

Great Store!

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2010

This is one of the few places in the Watertown area to get vegeterian food and organic products. While some people may complain about employees attitudes what they fail to mention is that the Watertown area has only a small number of people who actually shop at these stores, so most of their customers are already well informed and know what they want. I have gone in there and told them I dont really know what I'm looking for and they have been more than helpful. Their deli is to die for!!! they have the best wraps. I would recommend this store to anyone.

Pros: Variety, Small store, deli
Pam_i_am
Pam_i_am

• non-vegetarian

disappointed

2 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2010

Im an army wife, and just moved into the area. My hubby and i eat healthy, so the mustard seed seemed like a 'natural' fit. I dont know, maybe it was just me but even though the store was lovely, i didnt feel like i belonged there like i thought i would. I think i might stick to the main supermarkets where i can get a lot of the same products with none of the attitude from the staff.

Pros: decent selection for the size, cute deli(i havent eaten there though), bulk spices
Cons: staff isnt very nice, high prices
KMorgan
KMorgan

• non-vegetarian

wonderful cafe, staff and large product selection

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2009

I have been shopping at the Mustard Seed for many years. I find their staff to be very knowledgeable and friendly. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cafe. I am a vegan but my boyfriend is not so it is great going to lunch there because I can choose from a huge variety of vegan dishes and he can get a sandwich or wrap with real meat in it and know that it is non-hormone/antibiotic filled meat from a free range animal and all of the veggies are organic. As far as the rest of the store goes, I think they have a wonderful product selection, if I have any questions about anything the staff is always there to help and if there isn't something in that I am looking for they never hesitate to special order it for me. I also live in the same town as the owners so if I need my supplements and I don't feel like driving to watertown they will drop them off for me on their way home!

Pros: wonderful cafe, helpful staff, very clean and well-stocked
happyvegan45
happyvegan45

Terrible Experience!

1 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2009

The selection here is wonderful and it could be an amazing addition to the area. I found that the staff left something to be desired. It was my first trip in and I was having trouble finding a supplement for myself(those sections are always a bit intimidating to me and things are pretty hard to find) so I waited until it seemed pretty dead to ask someone. I walked up to a man with a five o'clock shadow and a shiny bald head slumped behind the counter. I shyly asked him if he could please help me. He groaned slightly as if I were terribly inconveniencing him and grumpily asked me what I wanted. I needed a prenatal so he guided me back to the supplements and shoved an $80 bottle into my face. I started to ask why this brand? What was so great about it and why was it so much more than the others but before I could even get half of my sentence out he had spun around and returned to the counter to stare holes in anyone who dare spend money in that store. A bit discouraged, I walked up to someone who seemed a bit friendlier, a large woman with glasses and curly red hair casually talked to me about the prenatals, and I felt a lot better about the price. She then started talking about her own daughter and judgmentally compared hers to mine, including but not limited to telling me how wrong I was for deciding to vaccinate my child, giving her formula(even though at the time I couldn't produce enough breast milk), and cutting me off before I could respond. Every time she would insult my parenting she would laugh loudly, as though to let me know that I shouldn't take anything she says to heart. I thanked her for her time, even though I kind of felt like giving her the finger and proceeded to the deli area to grab something to eat. I picked up a tofurky sandwich and sat down. The first bite I noticed that that sandwich must have been sitting there a while. There was nothing left of the vegenaise except what had been absorbed into the bread. I continued to eat, I was very very hungry. I took two more bites, and on the third I tasted something very green, opening up my sandwich I saw quite a bit of mold on the meat substitute, I gagged a little and showed the counterboy. He looked at theyre color code system and saw that the sandwich had been there over a week. When I was ready to leave I waited at the counter for 15 minutes before I set my intended purchase on the counter and left while the staff talked and laughed amoungst themselves ten feet from me.

Pros: good selection
Cons: food in the deli is NOT FRESH, staff is very rude, high prices compared to green thyme
bill
bill

Oasis in Watertown

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2008

We found the Mustard Seed on Happy Cow and stopped in whilst travelling. It was a relief to visit this vegan-friendly establishment. It seemed an oasis to us, given that vegan places seem - especially to travellers - few and far between. There was an excellent selection of vegan groceries and household goods. The staff were friendly and informative. The restaurant had vegan options on the menu but staff made us vegan food to try that was off-menu.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Mustard Seed: