Vegetarian cafe in East Oxford painted bright red. Hosts live music and art display. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, British, English, Organic

Mon-Sat 9:00am-6:00pm

First Review by tinkerbell
Nicci
Nicci

Would not say 'Vegan Friendly'.

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2014

We tried to visit this cafe today but left without eating anything. Asked what was vegan was told maybe soup. The staff member was quite rude and unhelpful - she didn't know what was vegan and was unwilling to ask in the kitchen. I don't really expect this from a vegetarian cafe. I would suggest vegans avoid this cafe due to the lack of knowledge of the staff and the availability of other restaurants/cafes in the area offering good vegan food (and being knowledgeable about what they sell!)

VeganFoodEnthusiast
VeganFoodEnthusiast

Underwhelming Vegan Options

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2014

I've been here a couple of times in the past, though I've only eaten once, because the pickings for vegans were rather slim. I had a slice of banana and date cakeas it was the only vegan thing on the menu they still had. It was very dry and rather boring, I wouldn't recommend it. I believe the 'soup of the day' was vegan (not sure if it always is) and also a big salad dish.

This would probably make a nice lunch stop for vegetarians, but for vegans it was a little dissapointing.

Pros: Fully vegetarian, Cool bookshop next door
Cons: Food wasn't that great, Few vegan options
spacehopper
spacehopper

Well worth a visit

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2014

We came twice while in Oxford both late afternoon and had a choice of dishes, a treat for veggies to have choices especially after lunchtime, loved the aubergine bake and the side salads, curries were a little hot for us. Very friendly and relaxed with mums and kids chatting over cofee.

Pros: Good food, Good price
Cons: Can be noisy kids

Zeki Min
Zeki Min

Great Food, Good Music, Very Nice Service!

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2014

We really had a wonderful time at the Magic Cafe. It has two new owners now. Deki was great to us and served us memorable food!
The cakes were also really good.
Would have loved it even more, if it was completely vegan. But that's just me.

Pros: Service, Food, Hot Chocolate
Cons: Not Completely Vegan
lucyday
lucyday

we need more veggie places in oxford

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

The food is not as magic as the name suggests, standard veggie options but the live music is nice and everyone is always friendly. They don't seem to mind kids which makes a nice change but definitely not a quiet romantic lunch kinda spot.

pisceschic
pisceschic

Decent

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

I was excited to find a shop with vegan food right next to a very cool bookstore called the Inner Bookshop. But the spiced fruit cake I had was disappointing. While the flavor was good, it was quite dry. I preferred the coconut chocolate flapjack I had at Uhuru Wholefoods. There were other vegan deserts on the menu that weren't available and a few vegan savory dishes that I didn't try. It's worth a visit.

tinkerbell
tinkerbell

dull food, dull place

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2007

Uninspiring food with the environment to match.
Always seems to be children running about whilst their parents ignore this behaviour. Really hard to finish food with all this going on. Left without finishing food, not that we missed out. Had chips on the way home!!

Cons: dull food, unhelpful staff

Dear Owner and Manager of The Magic Cafe: