Vegan restaurant in Kerrytown; re-opened summer 2013 after move from W Washington St. Offers vegan food, cakes, nightly changing specials, and more. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, International, Fusion, Pizza, Bakery, Take-out
407 N 5th Ave (Kerrytown Market and Shops)
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
734-224-8859

Open Mon-Thur 11am-8pm, Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 8am-10pm, Sun 10am-3pm.

First Review by Satya

Good food Good People

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

Ok first off its been awhile since I've had a chance to just goto an all vegan restaurant so I might be overly generous simply for that. But all and all the food was very good less the pad thai. The waiters warned us it tastes different if your not use to vegan pad thai. Been vegan for years use to vegan pad thai this doesn't really taste like pad thai. The special Beet Burger was to die for good if its an option choose it. The Mac and Cheese is well seasoned and on par with most vegan mac and cheese. Went back for Sunday Brunch not a bad thing to say everything tasted great. Service was good. All the people where friendly not just the staff but the people around us. Great options well worth a stop if your in Ann Arbor or if you with in a few hours of it. Even the 6 year old was loving the options.

Pros: Value, People, All Vegan
Cons: the Pad Thai (Sorry)

doesn't live up to the hype

2 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

I have tried a ton of meals here - and everything is just so bland. I've had the pad Thai, Mac and cheese, chili mac and cheese, banh mi, TLT, and Reuben, and none of it really impressed me. There is a lot better food in AA than lunch room. I want so much to like it because the presentation of food is beautiful and it's a cute space, but the food just doesn't have any complexity of flavor. It's also not very healthy. I like unhealthy vegan food as much as the next person, but the food here is pretty heavy. I hope they can transform their food into something amazing, but for now it's just not really worth it when I could go to Jerusalem Garden instead. :)

Pros: presentation of food, clean, bright space, friendly service
Cons: flavors of food (or lack thereof), health quotient

It's all good

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

I had half of 2 different sandwiches, cole slaw, curry roasted potatoes, and 3 different cookies. All were the best. I will be going back for more and more and more.....
Updated from previous review on Friday November 01, 2013

I have been back for more and more and I'll continue.

It was good

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2013

I had the burrito and my daughter had the gingersnap ice cream cookie sandwich. After one bite, she would not eat anymore, so I tried it. Full of fresh ginger! The cookies were pretty hard, but the whole sandwich together was very flavorful. The burrito was good. Pretty large. I was not aware of the tiny purple onions in the mix and I am allergic to purple onion, so to my surprise my mouth started burning and blistering so I had to investigate to find the culprit. They are diced very small, but they are in there. I couldn't eat the rest after that. Otherwise flavor was good.

Pros: Healthy food, strong flavors
Cons: small, tight seating area, hard cookies, a bit pricey

New location!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

Our family enjoys coming to the Lunch Room each year when we visit Ann Arbor. This year we got to experience the Lunch Room in their new indoor restaurant location in Kerry Town.
There were ten of us altogether, but we came at the tail end of the lunch crowd on a Saturday, so we were able to get a place to sit.
The little ones in our group enjoyed the pb&j, carrot sticks and apple sauce.
The Reuben was excellent, and I liked their nachos.
We will continue making the Lunch Room a regular part of our Ann Arbor visits.

Pros: friendly staff, Reuben
Cons: parking can be tricky

I love the Lunch Room!

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

Having lived in the Ann Arbor area for the last 25 years I am absolutely THRILLED to have the Lunch Room as an option and CAN'T wait until the new full size restaurant opens!

Phyllis and Joel clearly love creating vegan delights for their patrons and go out of their way to support different dietary desires/needs and or lifestyle choices.

The cheeze nachos are to die for (just ask my 12 year old neice ;-)). and the ice cream sandwiches in the middle of a hot day are scrumptious!

We have been lacking for vegan food in this area and these folks not only fill that niche - they excel at it!!

thank you Phyllis & Joel & The Lunch Room!

Pros: reasonably priced food, definitely ALL vegan, TASTY creations!

Hmmm.....

3 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

Not at all sure what the fuss is about. We stopped in for lunch and were underwhelmed. I had the BBQ sliders, and they were pretty average, drowning in BBQ sauce. The slaw was just OK, and the other things we ate, including the cookies, were nothing out of the ordinary. I enjoyed the Indian food from a cart in the vicinity that offered vegan options (not on Happy Cow sadly) much more. Nothing wrong here, but I did not share the opinion of the glowing reviews below. Friendly staff though...

• candacebpinaud candacebpinaud

I am disappointed in your comments. It must be wonderful to have so many vegan restaurants wherever you are from that you feel you can speak so poorly of the lunch room. you are a lucky person I guess.

Great food and People

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2011

Have been here many times, and loved everything that I have tried. The staff is very nice and friendly. Our favorite treat is the mexican hot chocolate cookie!!!

Pros: amazing food, Mostly local ingredients, great staff

sun is shining

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2011

our first time at the lunch room was a pause in the weather on a rainy spring day, and after sampling the food, we had to get one of each on the menu! it was the perfect evening meal--sitting under an umbrella with light rain sprinkling around us after a busy day. the staff are very friendly, patient, and helpful to explain their menu items, which are all masterfully flavored, fresh-tasting, and creative. the lunch room's little sunny yellow street cart, as a previous reviewer also mentioned, clearly holds its own in a city with numerous vegan/vegetarian options, easily climbing its spot to number one in many local vegans' hearts, we're sure. not overly reliant on faux-meats or transfiguring "traditional foods" into a bland vegan version, the lunch room offers ample vegetables with a delicate and nuanced palette for seasoning. (typically left feeling a little low on the veggie count with other vegan options, we're grateful for the lunch room's incorporation of greens hidden under perfect flavors.) we'd be more than happy to try anything from the lunch room...any possibility of expansion?? do stop by, rain or shine, for this winning cart!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, compostable eco-ware

I recommend The Lunch Room

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2011

Our first visit to The Lunch Room was wonderful! Joel and Phyllis were very busy keeping up with the demand. Fast service, very nice selection of food served with big smiles. We ordered 5 different items and all were well prepared and delicious. Fresh, quality ingredients. We looking forward to watching them grow and expand their menu. I would trust anything that they have a hand in. Thank you, Lunch Room, for bringing your vision close to home.

Best Veg Food in Ann Arbor!

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2011

It may be hard to imagine that food delivered out of a food cart out-tastes the few dine-in veg options surrounding Ann Arbor..but it does!

I had the tofu barbecue sandwich; the sauce was delicious and the tofu was not noticeable as "tofu." The soup was also delightful; full of flavors with a very light coconut base, creamy and with some mild spicing and fresh vegetables. I'm not usually a fan of coconut milk but this soup was so delicious that I ordered seconds! The cookies were also fresh-tasting and good.

The packaging for the food was all recycleable and the utensils compostable. These folks are paying attention to making their business as green as possible, which I value. The price...beats out ALL other Ann Arbor veg menus..cookies only $1 and the soup and sandwich only $4/ea! The sandwich was huge.

I'll go here anyday over Seva where the food is over-priced, terrible and the wait-staff snobby! Likewise, the food here is not dripping in grease, which is a hallmark of some of the other veg options around town.

Pros: excellent food, diverse menu, great prices
Cons: soup small portions

Dear Owner and Manager of The Lunch Room: