CLOSED: The Local Beet Co-op

Co-op market established since 2009. Stocks a varied range of organic and natural food, products, and groceries. The organic juice bar JustFOOD is located inside. LAST DAY MAR 30, 2014 PER ITS FB PAGE. more-less
1 Main St
Chester, Connecticut 06412
860-526-2667

Open Mon-Fri 9am-7pm, Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 9am-2pm.

First Review by KimMamaLove
KimMamaLove
KimMamaLove
  • herbivore

Fun, funky, friendly and community-driven

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

I've been a member of the co-op since it opened, and I absolutely love the fun, funky and friendly vibe at the co-op. As a local, I run into at least one friend every time I'm there & I love that. Transitioning to a co-op mindset personally took a little time for me, but it went hand-in-hand with my belief to support local businesses. I avoid big box & chain stores as much as possible. I prefer my money to be invested back into my community. The co-op carries all sorts of foods from local farmers/artisans/bakers/etc. If I need something they don't have, they will order it for me. The buying club is great for the foods I go through fast. The variety is ever-changing and includes: organic (and mostly local) produce, bulk foods, fresh breads/baked goods, sweets/snacks/bars, health & beauty, vitamins/supplements, baby & pet items, cleaning supplies, frozen foods, dairy-free milks & cheese, coffee/tea/juices, cold single-serve beverages, local eggs/milk/cheese/seafood/meats, cereal/oatmeal, nut butters, baking foods, gluten-free foods, reusable beverage & food containers, t-shirts, local artist CDs and more. They have pretend food & a shopping cart for kids to play with while you shop. It's tight inside, but a (single) jogging or umbrella stroller can navigate fine. The street parking is tough during lunch times (11:30am to about 2pm), but the public parking on Water St is roughly 2 "blocks" away. I've learned to shop outside of the lunch times, so parking doesn't take away from my overall rating. Produce that is on it's way out gets greatly discounted -- sometime you can get lucky and score big on organic fruit or veggies that you're willing to use or freeze that day :-)

Pros: friendly service, wide selection for such a small space, funky atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Local Beet Co-op: