The Land of Kush

All vegan soul food restaurant serving vegetarian vegan cuisine and vegan baked goods. Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Soul Food, American, Take-out, Catering
840 N Eutaw St (N Martin Luther King Jr Blvd)
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
410-225-5874

Open Mon-Sat 11am-9pm, Sun noon-8pm.

First Review by Nancy B
Jenthevegan13
Jenthevegan13

Out of this world! 100% VEGAN!

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

Don't be fooled by the subtitle of this restaurant, The Land of Kush is a completely vegan restaurant. Not a drop of animal product to be found there. We were visiting in Baltimore for 4 days and ate there THREE times.. That's how good it is.

I don't know how they do it, but they've managed to cram even more soul into soul food without all the nasty animal ingredients. It's a small spot, very casual, awesome music, friendly staff.. Most importantly- the food is unbelievably amazing. They offer down-home soul food-- ribs, chicken salad, greens, potato salad, chicken wings, mac and cheese, etc.. With a full juice bar. No mainstream soda, all homemade tea (the black tea is incredible!), housemade ginger lemonade, etc.. They also offer corn bread to go with your meal and carry a couple vegan desserts-- pineapple upside down cake and sweet potato cake (equally as good!).

The owner is amazing- working hard to bring the downtown Baltimore community healthy, nourishing, and affordable options. It's an inspiring breath of fresh air amongst all the grease and meat laden bodegas and fried chicken spots commonly found downtown. I admire their menu as much as there effort to help make Downtown Baltimore a healthier place. Yum!!!

Pros: 100% vegan, Delicious food, Good value
Cons: small dining area, could use more desserts, wish they served breakfast all week long
sisterorbit
sisterorbit

Love this place

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

I work next door and find that I frequent The Land of Kush far too often! 100% vegan. The raw kale is excellent (though garlicky)! Mac and cheese is also good.

sirhin
sirhin

Count me in for Soul Food!

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

I love myself some comfort food and I usually stick to cooking it myself when I crave some. However, it's always good to have it cooked and ready to go. I admit a part of me was amused to have southern comfort food in Baltimore, but it's all good.

I found myself in Baltimore for the first time and decided we needed some grub. This place was the closest one to where we were staying so it won out over the others. The place was small but cozy and the people were pretty helpful (we don't eat onion/garlic/leeks/chives) which lead to the fact that if you don't eat the aforementioned items, the fairly decent-sized menu shrunk significantly. We could only eat the Candied Yams, the Mac-N-Cheeze, the drummies, and the other "chick'n" protein (I forgot the name).

We ended up deciding on a medium portion of the Mac-N-"Cheeze" and the 3-pc drummies because the cashier said they were "fun" and I wanted to see how fun they were. I was a little sad I couldn't have any legit veggies, but that's what I get for eating out. It was FILLING. After all, it was carbs, faux cheese, and protein. My husband and I shared and we were "just right" full.

The Mac-N-Cheeze -- the pasta was good and tender, but not overcooked. The "cheeze" was also good - the perfect flavor. It would have been too much if it was just me eating it, but as it were, it was good. Especially since I had been wanting some Mac and Cheese. I was a little apprehensive because vegan cheese doesn't always taste the best, but this was pretty good!

The Drummies -- soy "meat" protein molded onto a stick in the shape of drumsticks and deep fried. Delicious! The "meat" was well-seasoned, tender and though they had bite, it wasn't tough or hard to eat. There was that awesome crispy shell as well.

I'd say this place is pretty good! I would have liked to try the yams as well, but we were full and didn't want to overdo it. Now only if they offered more items, sans onion and garlic!

Pros: helpful/friendly staff, good sized vegan menu, good food
Cons: tiny menu with no onion/garlic items
shanbogen
shanbogen

Not perfect, but a darn good vegan place

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

The service is not the best. The employees didn't seem to be too excited to be serving me, not really smiling or anything. Okay, I'm getting takeout, I don't mind a whole lot.

For my meal I got curry chick'un, mac n' cheese, and smoky collard greens. Liked the chick'un, loved the other too. The curry sauce needed acid and salt. The mac n' cheese was very impressively creamy and delicious and the smoke level on the collards was just right, plus it was served with juicy bell pepper strips.

For about $12 I got enough for a second meal of leftovers. I would go back, and maybe try the ribz.

I don't know if I like the health food claims. Obviously I think that vegan food is healthier in general, but you can eat vegan food and still have too many calories from fat, etc.

Pros: Vegan, Fast
Cons: Unenthusiastic service, Claims of being healthy
SezuKing
SezuKing

Most Excellent

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

I just had lunch from Land of Kush, it was most excellent!!! I got three sides, rice with beans, yams and the smoked greens. Really good and very filling. I could only eat half of the portions, so bonus I now have dinner too! Then of course I had dessert.. sweet potato cake, yummy!! I will be ordering lunch from there from now on!

supremeunlocks
supremeunlocks

Great Vegan/Raw Food!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

The food is awesome! If you're in B-more stop by. You'll be in for a treat. My favorite was the Kale since I'm mainly into raw food. Can't wait to go back!

Pros: Raw Food Selections, Vegan Selections, Great Drinks including (Alkaline Water)
veggieseal
veggieseal

Filling and Flavorful!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

This all-vegan restaurant has ready-made entrees and sides/salads etc. served at a counter. Despite the "fast" aspect of the place, the food was super high-quality and the staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

I had an entree special with two sides and a drink - and let me tell you, this is too much food for one person. It was a solid two-meal portion and only cost me $12. Everything I had was super yummy too - BBQ "ribs", mac & cheeze, and collards. I tried "Sorrel" to drink - it's sweetened hibiscus tea brewed with ginger...which I'd never heard of, but was delightful on a hot day.

All in all, I wish I'd tried this place sooner so I'd have time to go back while still in Baltimore!

Pros: HUGE portions/ good deal, All Vegan, Fast and Friendly service
shean.mccollin
shean.mccollin

amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

Walked in for the first time and let the cashier know that we saw this place on happy cow. She responded, "oh hey, well you tell Happy Cow what is up!"... so I am :).

This completely vegan restaurant is delicious with out qualifiers. My omnivorous boyfriend and I enjoyed their Kush bbq ribs, vegetable medley rice,chickun salad wrap, and potato salad made with Veganaise. The bottled water isn't $14 and the place is nicely located. We will definitely be coming back! This place left a good first impression for Baltimore vegan food. Look out veg restaurants, you have big shoes to fill!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 02, 2013

KellyHull
KellyHull

Awesome!

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

My family went here today, before the O's game, and are so glad we did! The food was all even better than expected, and the service and general friendliness of the staff was awesome! We got the ribs, with mac and cheese and cabbage as the sides, and Eggplant parm, as well as lemonade and ginger drinks. Can't wait to go back!! Huge portions!

Pros: freindly, amazing food, easy to find
Cons: not a huge number of choices
donutyum
donutyum

Highly recommended!

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2013

My husband & I went with my parents and our two children (ages 9 mo and 3 years). Even though the dining room is small the staff were warm and very accommodating of our group- letting us rearrange tables to fit us more comfortably.

We tried most of the entrees & all the sides. Everything was delicious! Even our 3 year old ate his dinner. We all agreed that the "chicken" salad was the best but other popular dishes were the kale, lasagna and sweet potatoes. My mom had a smoothie that she also really enjoyed.

We will definitely go back.

Pros: excellent food, good value , friendly staff
Cons: small dining room
greenchild
greenchild

in time they'll get it right

2 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

My first time here was not that great.The young lady that took my order was very slow,considering the fact that the food is already done and sitting on a steam table.The ribs were good,but i don't like the fact that they use agave as their choice of sweetner in the bbq sauce and the smoothies. The mac n cheese is delicious,but too oily. They only had one desert, a sweet potato (bread) cake,that they only get delivered on fri and run out by sunday.The owner seems to lack knowledge on how to run a resteraunt since I was told he never professionally cooked or work in food service before. The employee never stay long, so I think they know more.

Pros: large portions, mac n cheese, ribs
Cons: slow service, agave, owner needs to do his homework
MeowAllieCat
MeowAllieCat

Best vegan mac & cheese in Baltimore!

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2012

I haven't been here in month or two, but as long as nothing has changed my opinion holds. :)

This is my go-to place for out of town friends and non-vegan family members. My mom loved our visit and couldn't believe everything was vegan. My bf's parents both enjoyed our meal when they were in town and even went back without us! The ribs are fantastic, the collards are smoky and delicious, the mac & cheese is saucy and comfort-y (not healthy, though, as it's a little heavy on the oil), and the yams are fab. I'm not crazy about the lentil loaf, and I stay clear of potato salad since that's a dish I can make "my way" at home. But just about everything on the menu is fantastic.

The space is small, but Greg & Naijha have done a great job with fitting booths, window seating, and cafe tables into the restaurant. The atmosphere is very inviting.

Try out the in-house lemonade and ginger drink. They're so good! Custom-made smoothies are available, too. They have raw dishes and desserts in addition to the soul food. This is definitely one of my favorite restaurants.

Pros: Mac & cheese, Nice big platters, Good service
Cons: Bland-ish potato salad, Plastic cutlery
ohemgee
ohemgee

A favorite.

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

This is one of my favorite vegan spots! Great food, great staff. Mac n cheese & Eggplant Parmesan are amazing!

Pros: vegan, delicious, free samples of food ( just ask!)
Cons: sometimes hard to find seating
Creepyvegan
Creepyvegan

Mac n cheese is a must

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

I did not understand about how real the mock meats were could be a negative but I understand now but I did still like it. It was just at times I looked at the drumstick and did a double take to make sure. I also had the crab cakes, there were good but didn't still together too well and were seasoned highly but good. If it were in a sandwich then it would have been perfect. If for nothing else go for this Mac n cheese it is amazing! It is creamy and gooey just perfect. The staff was nice and here was a steady flow of people even though the weather was bad. The music was good but the chairs felt a little unstable.

Pros: Large portions, Vegansoul food
Cons: Small amount of seating
MichaelTaylor
MichaelTaylor

enjoyable and unique vegan food

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

A vegan take on soul food which is really quite good. They make use of seitan and tofu quite nicely though my only complaint is the use of highly processed agave. Very casual and usually plenty of street parking. This place is a must for vegans.

Pros: tasty, unique, affordable
Cons: agave
Beegan
Beegan

Pleasantly Pleased

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2012

Visiting the Glen Burnie/ Baltimore area for the weekend my vegan husband, omni mother in law, and I (vegan) stopped in to The Land of Kush for lunch and were all pleasantly pleased. I ordered the combo ($10.99-- one entree + 2 sides) of seitan ribs, mac n cheese, and collard greens (really liked my entire plate). my husband and mom in law had the rice and beans which they said was yummy, my husband liked the yams (I and my mom in law thought they were ok, not great), and my husband also got the friday special (spinach lasagna---yummy!). My omni mom in law also had the sweet potato cake and loved it (this was her very first vegan meal ever and she was surprised by how much she liked it--and couldnt get over the seitan ribs texture lol). I definitely recommend this restaurant, being soul food it was an added bonus.

ps- they are NOT STINGY with their portions, we all had leftovers for another substantial meal

Pros: fast, good menu, large portions
Cons: needs more drink choices
NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Really wanted to love it, but only liked it

3 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2012

I've been dying to go to Land of Kush for a while but am never really in that neighborhood. I was nearby yesterday so decided to finally give it a try. Well, sad to say, I was sort of disappointed.

Food: 7. I choose the platter (which was $10.99, so it seems they raised it a dollar from when I read reviews about it). They did not have the sweet and sour seitan, which is what I wanted to try, so I decided to try the special: "turkey" and gravy. It was more like a turkey stew than a Thanksgiving style turkey. I found it TOO realistic, meat-wise. I did not like it much. I choose candied yams and mac and "cheese" as my sides. The candied yams were average. The only thing I actually really did LOVE about my meal was the mac and cheese... it was very realistic in terms of taste and texture.

Price: 7. While $10.99 is a lot to spend on lunch, I have to say that they gave me a FULL plate of food. In general, prices seemed a bit high but not super high compared to other veg*n places.

Atmosphere: 7. Kind of plain. Cozy enough, though. I don't like the neighborhood very much, though (e.g. I wouldn't feel too safe walking by myself a few blocks away from it at night... even during the day when I was there I felt like I was stared at in strange ways by passers-by).

Service: 8. Not sure what to say since really all the staff person at the register did was scoop my food onto a plate, hand it to me, and have a monetary exchange. Not particularly friendly but not particularly unfriendly.

Updated from previous review on Sunday October 09, 2011: I have been back to Land of Kush once since this review, and I had the same experience of the mock meat being TOO realistic for me. So I recommend the mock meats only to people who like realistic mock meats.

Pros: All vegan, Realistic mock meat and dairy
Cons: Pricey, Not the best neighborhood
Took
Took

Vegan Soul Food

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

I give Land of Kush 4 stars and myself 1 star (for lack of self-control).

Heads up: ribs are heavy, portions are huge, collards are truly...collards (not oily is what I mean), sweet & sour seitan was perfect (i.e. you'll want to order a medium)

I deducted 1 star, b/c there is SO MUCH PLASTIC AND WASTE. This is 2011 -- shouldn't we be a bit more concious a/b our environment?
Updated from previous review on Friday August 26, 2011

**NEW REVIEW 10/24/11

They have down-sized on the plastic. Now, if you eat in, you can dine using their plates and bowls. Awesome! Still hoping for silverware instead of plastic, but I'm happy they've made changes. Also, I just highly recommend mixing the bbq with rice, because it's heavy. Wonderful, but heavy nonetheless.

Pros: Good portions (size medium), Healthy options (smoky collards, raw kale), Extra saucy (great to mix w/ rice)
Cons: Plastic Usage
kwanza
kwanza

Great range of fast food

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2011

The Land of Kush is a sort of fast food restaurant in the sense that all of the dishes are pre-prepared (as far as I could tell, none of the food is made to order). The main dishes (entrees) consist of mock meat dishes made from soya and/or seitan, and are very filling. There is also a decent range of sides (e.g. rice and beans, candied yams, various vegetables) as well as healthy salads and wraps. The drinks are fresh, homemade and tasty.

I had a platter (one entree and two sides) which was excellent value at $9.99. The lady who served me was very friendly and I am really glad that I found this restaurant.

Note that it is actually open until 9pm, not 7pm as listed above.

Pros: great value for money, excellent range of dishes, friendly staff
Cons: not great for sit down meals
nardanddee
nardanddee

Happy to have them in town!

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2011

I love having a choice of vegan local restaurants. The prices are a bit better here than the other Bmore spot and you get more food. However, I found that the food could have used a bit more seasoning. I did want to attend the Vegan Drinks that they hosted, but never received word back from the restaurant as to whether or not there was still space available. Staff is friendly, but a tad bit unresponsive.

Pros: great prices, good food, friendly staff
Cons: no parking, lite seasoning, unresponsive staff
Nancy B
Nancy B

Loved the food!

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2011

What a delight to discover The Land of Kush! The food is healthy,excellent and completely vegan! We were pleased with every item we ordered. We've declared it our new pre-baseball game eatery! wu

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Good Value

Dear Owner and Manager of The Land of Kush: