CLOSED: The Jones Eastside

Serves meat, veg options available. Makes breakfast, sandwiches, panini, and beverages. Each day maybe a couple vegan suitable selections - ask. Emphasis on locally produced ingredients. Casual atmosphere. JULY 2014 REPORTED Closed due to "infrastructure" issues. Moved Eastside menu to B-side location- so B-side will now do breakfast too. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Mark Davis
JETaddeo60
JETaddeo60

Closes at 2:00 on Sunday

1 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Did not have the opportunity to check out this restaurant. Traveling through and needed dinner on Sunday. Website says open until 10:00, but sign on door says closes at 2:00.

Leahyay
Leahyay

Awesome!

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

Unique, delicious, fresh food. The quin-what is amazing.

Pros: friendly staff, veg friendly, nice atmosphere
phaedraford
phaedraford

Mixed emotions

2 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

I went here twice, once for breakfast and the second time for lunch. The first time my table ordered(to share) the vegan flax seed pancakes, the tree hugger but on sourdough instead of a bagel(they're not vegan), and another sandwich. The pancakes are pretty yummy and have an interesting eggy texture compared to a bread-ier pancake. The sandwiches are pretty good and very healthy filling. The vegan pesto is so yummmy. I highly recommend the black beans and rice side.
The second time, I split the Thai peanut tempeh wrap with my boyfriend. It was all right, especially after we added Siracha. We both agreed that it tasted like boiled tempeh with some melted peanut butter in a wrap, kinda lackluster unfortunately. I do like the atmosphere of the restaurant - it is very homey. I think if you eat eggs and cheese the menu would be much more interesting, but I still recommend it for vegans. Just choose wisely. Awwwesome OJ, too.

Pros: comfortable atmosphere, accommodating kitchen
Cons: kinda boring vegan food, limited vegan breakfast foods
ashfnm
ashfnm

Wonderful, Cozy, Charming with Good Local Cuisine

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2012

The Jones serves consistently good, simple, yummy, healthy food in a small charming restaurant. They try to serve only organic and local foods. They always have a large selection of vegan items and often have vegan specials. The Thai tempeh wraps, the Stir-it-up, the Quin-what, the tofu scramble and the Tree Hugger bagel sandwich are all great options.

They seem to always be open! Breakfast, lunch, dinner. 7 days/ week.

Cash only.

Pros: fresh, local ingredients, always open, nice atmosphere
Cons: cash only

aadams1217
aadams1217

• non-vegetarian

Gem

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2010

Really nice, cozy restaurant that's very friendly to vegans and vegetarians. I ordered a tofu sandwich with homefries. Tasty potatoes. Sandwich could've been better if they had some vegan cheeze, but still tasty.

Local artwork decorates the place. Service is friendly.

Pros: tasty
heathmacnelson
heathmacnelson

Door was locked when we tried to eat lunch here

2 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2010

Not sure what's up, but pulled up on a Monday at noon, another couple pulled up at the same time. It seemed closed, and indeed, we watched them try to enter but it was locked. All four of us went away disapointed. We went to Chopstix Cafe instead, and had an AWESOME time, so it ended up being a great day. Hope they are still open, and not out of business. Thanks,

ascwing
ascwing

Great food!

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

I ate here with my omni husband and three-year-old son who is allergic to dairy and eggs. The food is outstanding! Mint lemonade, sweet herbal tea, and fair trade coffee were the beverages we had. My son had housemade granola with soymilk and fruit; my husband had a tempeh and cheese sandwich with a cup of beer and broccoli soup; and I had biscuits with soy merguez (The Jones' housemade soy sausage), tofu scramble, and vegan gravy, with a side of house fries. Service was ok-- a bit slow because there appeared to be just one server, but the place itself is rather small so I can imagine having two servers would get crowded. I can't wait for an excuse to head to Gainesville again, just to eat here!

Pros: variety of options, friendly and knowledgeable staff, ample portions
Cons: small space, somewhat stuffy inside
Mark Davis
Mark Davis

First choice for the vegatarian/vegan/locavore

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2010

I recently made my fourth visit to The Jones, and have enjoyed every meal. The friendly owner and wait staff make you feel right at home. All the menu offerings are creative and lovingly prepared from fresh locally grown ingredients. Breakfast is a treat with choices of homemade pancakes, design your own omelets and tofu or tempeh dishes served with artisan breads. The tempeh ruben and homemade soup make for a yummy lunch choice from the many salads, sandwiches and wraps. At night the Jones offers tempting original vegan entrees in a romantic candlelight setting with music and organic wines.Though there are a few grassfed organic beef and free range chicken offerings for your carnivore friends, The Jones is primarily a vegetarian/vegan cafe with a 50's feel.

Pros: Great food, Friendly owner and staff, Creative dishes
Cons: Small, uninspiring location, distant from entertainment areas

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Jones Eastside: