CLOSED: The Jasmine Garden

Fine dining vegetarian cuisine. Gluten free choices marked on menu. Prices moderate to expensive with each main entrees at $14. Reported closed/shut down to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Asian, Beer/Wine, Take-out
10 Meadowglen Drive (Taunton Rd)
Whitby, Ontario L1R 3P8
905-493-1967

Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-9pm, Sat 3-9pm, Sun closed.

First Review by Ken4057
MarjorieDarby
MarjorieDarby

I love The Jasmine Garden for several reasons!

4 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2012

I am so thrilled I stumbled upon this restaurant! It's vegan (with some vegetarian options). The owner is exceedingly friendly and helpful. It's vegan. I like the food. And did I mention it's vegan?! ;)

I've been there a few times. I like the spinach & strawberry salad, and the mango salad. The lentil soup is great. I'm still searching for an entree I really love, but liked both the Jumbaaya & Chunky Tofu dishes I tried. (The latter tasted so familiar to me...like Tofu Goreng.) My husband (a meat eater) said he really liked the spring rolls. For dessert, I've only had the chocolate cake, served with warmed ganache...which I like. My husband had the waffle a la mode, with chocolate syrup, this past visit, and said it was excellent.

I also really feel at-home, when I'm there. It's a basic plaza restaurant. Nothing fancy. But it's nice enough. I really should make a mental note to visit more often.

Pros: Vegan!, Friendly, Quality food
Cons: Modest decor, Somewhat limited menu
pickles17
pickles17

Embarrassing...

2 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2012

Unfortunately, I am going to have to agree with Ken.

I was extremely excited to go to a restaurant that would have a menu just for me but was them extremely disappointed when I seen the menu. I was expecting creative vegetarian food, things that I can't make at home or get anywhere else, but instead I found a mish mash of popular vegetarian dishes from different cultures (chinese, thai, indian, italian). One of their menu items is noodles and sauce...I can make this at home. And if I do go out for noodles and sauce...I'm going to an Italian restaurant that can make it the best it can be.

Anyway I ordered the jambalaya, which was fairly expensive, when it came it looked like total slop. There was hordes and hordes and hordes of wet, soggy tofu that lacked any type of flavour and the overall dish itself was unappealing and I found myself forcing myself to eat it. My bf ordered Indian curry which was edible, but still could have gotten more authentic and tastier Indian from an Indian restaurant.

While I was there two people also sent their dishes back.

This restaurant is a huge disappointment. Don't waste your money.

Cons: not creative, poorly prepared food, expensive for what you get
janeh
janeh

Great food

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2010

Want to put my 2 cents in - I am a member of Durham Veg Group and we have had several dinners there - the food is very good, cooked fresh and very tasty - even non-veggies who eat there love the food. So happy to be able to eat a meal without looking at someone eating a dead animal.

happyjo
happyjo

Jasmine Garden

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2010

My mother, son and I went to the Jasmine garden for lunch recently, and I enjoyed it. Anything negative I could say would be minor, and I would never discourage a vegetarian restaurant!! We had the vegan chocolate cake for dessert and we all loved it! The restaurant decor is simple, but I enjoyed the food!

Pros: Friendly staff
  • Ken4057 Ken4057

When meat-eaters eat terrible veg cooking it discourages them from becoming vegetarian and then more animals suffer, yes? So if one truly cared about animals they would do well to encourage good veg food and discourage terrible veg food, natch. I would never lie to another veg*n in any case, nor would I wish to be lied to.

Ken4057
Ken4057

How I wish I could say good things

2 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2009

It was a complete shock when Durham County's first veggie restaurant opened up a stone's throw from my family home. First shock, then pure joy! So imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be the worst veg restaurant I've ever experienced.

Please note that this happened shortly after the place opened. Perhaps the chef has developed rapidly since then. But judging by the lack of reviews, I'm not so sure.

My gf and I ordered what had been labelled spring rolls, a cajun special, and mock chicken.

The spring rolls were limp and flavourless. It was like they'd been stripped of interest and then microwaved.

The "cajun" dish turned out to be cooked onion, kidney beans and white rice. NOTHING cajun about it in the least. It looked like something a poor college veggie would eat, and tasted like they couldn't even afford salt or spices.

It was $10.

The mock chicken - I kid you not - was so soya slices, boiled in vegetable stock.

It was $10.

I met the chef - the matriarch of the Indian family who worked there - and suggested she might try sourcing mock meats from around Toronto. She declined, saying that she preferred to make everything from scratch. I was too polite to point out that boiled So Soya slices was hardly scratch.

Sooo deeply disappointed I cannot even describe it. I'm not going back until I've heard that things have changed drastically.

If you're in Whitby and in need of veg food, try the Durham Lakeside Vegetarian Group's list of restaurants in the region. There are others, though no strictly veg ones.

Zero sad cows (though two is the minimum I can rate it).

Pros: friendly, unique in area
Cons: awful in every other way

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Jasmine Garden: