Long-time established vegetarian shop, turned all-vegan in late 2015. Sells a variety of health food and products, including chilled, frozen, shelf staples, snacks, chocolate, gluten-free foods; eco household products and toiletries; cards and gifts. more-less
31 Chesterfield Rd
Sheffield, England S8 ORL
Now Open

Mon-Tue 10:00am-6:30pm, Wed 10:00am-8:00pm, Thu 10:00am-6:30pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-5:30pm

First Review by the fox
Lemon Freckles
Lemon Freckles

The place to go

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2016

I've been meaning to go to the Nutshell for a while and I so wish I had gone sooner. They stock everything I have been looking for, as a vegan, which means instead of buying things online, I'm now able to support a beautiful small, local business. Hurray!

Libra77
Libra77

Excellent vegan shop

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2016

Stocked with my vegan favourites as well as products I've yet to try. There's something for every vegan here. Staff were knowledgable and helpful. I came away a very happy vegan!

Pros: excellent range of products, 100% vegan - no label reading needed! , helpful staff
orangensaft
orangensaft

A very nice surprise

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2016

I had known of the existence of the Incredible Nutshell for several years but until last month I hadn't visited (I guess the name makes it sound like it only sells nuts and I couldn't be bothered to walk all the way to Chesterfield Road for the kinds of things you can buy in any old health food shop). However, upon visiting I discovered that the Incredible Nutshell is most definitely the most vegan-centric food shop in Sheffield and a true must for anyone living here - they sell a wide variety of things I haven't seen before in shops in Sheffield (or I assumed you could only buy online).

I particularly liked the gift box section of the store - they have pre-made mini hampers for reasonable prices which I think are a brilliant idea as it often seems quite hard to think of a coherent food-related vegan gift (as in, a gift that looks like a gift and feels special). I'm not sure if that's just a Christmas-only thing though.

Anyway, I would highly recommend this store and I would imagine that most vegans (or people in general) will find something new to try in this little place!

Pros: very good for vegans, like the gift box section

Fattyted
Fattyted

Lovely little shop

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2015

Great friendly shop with a fantastic range of vegan products

rlittleford
rlittleford

AMAZING!!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2015

They have such a wide variety of specialties and favorites, it's so good to have store that cater for vegetarians and vegans!

AndreaMM
AndreaMM

Fantastic shop!

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2015

It's probably a good thing that I don't live close to this shop or I'd be in there every day, it's amazing! The variety is phenomenal, from food to cleaning items and everything in between. Don't even get me started on the mind blowing selection of vegan cheeses!

Pros: Variety , Fridge and freezer food, Helpful staff
Cons: A little expensive
rmjhh
rmjhh

Amazing treats

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2015

Lovely local shop with a good variety of extra nice vegan treats, and great customer service!

LittlePaws
LittlePaws

Great little shop

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2015

This a great little shop, lots of vegan products to try, well worth a trip!

Pros: Good selection, Late opening
ChristineBailey59
ChristineBailey59

Great shop

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2015

Well stocked shop. Helpful staff and always willing to order what you want if it is not in stock, (which is rare). Love browsing for new things to try.

Pros: plenty of choice , friendly staff
GeorgiaCook
GeorgiaCook

Great Shop!

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2015

Was so happy to come across this place, had so many things I'd been looking for. Great to find a friendly local place that has amazing vegan foods, household products and more.
Visited it after going to the little Heeley City Farm round the corner, which was an awesome vegan combo.
Will be going back!

Pros: Lots of choice, Speciality Items
Cons: No deals really
ShenaLouise
ShenaLouise

Aladdin's Cave

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2015

A brilliant place with a wide range of products, many vegan. They can also order things for you if you can't find what you're looking for. Well worth a visit!

Pros: Great choice, Great friendly staff
lizziepin1949
lizziepin1949

Fantastic

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2015

This is a brilliant shop for vegetarians, vegans (like me) or anyone who likes interesting food (also me!) - it has a great selection of food items (plant-based milks and cheeses, chocolate, staples like nuts, flours, pastas, soups etc) and non-food items (incense, bamboo socks, toiletries, vitamins, eco-friendly sanitary options, house cleaning products etc). They are always getting new things in, which keeps it interesting, and will stock things if you ask them to. Well worth a visit or several! :-)
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 27, 2015

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly owners, A wide range of choice
wonder wasp
wonder wasp

You can't please everyone, can you?

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2015

A decent enough place selling things that are difficult to find elsewhere in Sheffield but I do find the owners a tad unfriendly. Last time I was there the door was locked and there was a sign saying "Back in 2 Minutes" but it was over 5 before anyone came. I know there are times when you have got to go but don't say back in 2 minutes if it's going to be 10, folks. It's cold out there.

Prices are high which is probably not the owners' fault but it does tend to make the goods out of the price range of people on low pay or benefits, and I was surprised to see pills on display. I expect to see them at Holland & Barrett but not at an independent shop where space is tight. More food would be better.

Pros: Interesting foods on sale
Cons: Expensive, Not enough range
    cooking4vegans

Hi wonder wasp, this is Charley, the owner of The Incredible Nutshell. I'm sorry that you seem to have had a bad experience here. I try my best to be friendly and polite to everyone, so I'm sorry if you don't find this the case.

I take your point about the door sign - it was inherited from the previous owner, but I'll make a new one that states five or ten minutes! Sadly this is the one problem with running a shop with an outside loo when you're the only full-time member of staff and suffer from IBD…

All the stock we sell is priced at the manufacturer's RRP or in some cases slightly below, and I do my best to choose the best value varieties from our wholesalers when I can.

Since taking over the shop six months ago, I've doubled the number of different food products in stock (almost 1000 products on the inventory showing as currently in stock) and added a lot of new food products that are harder to find or aren't available in supermarkets. There are still two or three shelves of vitamin supplements as we have regular customers who are used to buying them from us and request them if we run out!

Best wishes,

Charley

Meaks
Meaks

Awesome shop

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2015

For a smallish shop the Incredible Nutshell packs a lot in, and since it changed hands earlier this year the range has improved. Probably the best vegan range in Sheffield including stuff I haven't seen elsewhere. It's a small independent and so not the cheapest and it's out of town, but well worth a visit. Sometimes there are even free samples to be had ;) They currently open 'til 8pm on Wednesday and you can stay up to date on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TheIncredibleNutshell)

Pros: Good range, Friendly and helpful, Later opening hours
Cons: Not the cheapest, Too far away from my house!
Jen W
Jen W

Great shop :)

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2015

Went in this shop for the first time and was really impressed with the range of stock. It's under new management and it now opens until 6.30 3 nights a week which is great as you can get there after work instead of having to wait until a Saturday. Would definitely recommend to friends :)

itsmeagain
itsmeagain

a good shop

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

Improved massively since the revamp and overhaul a year ago.they have a good range of vegan cheese by Sheffield standards which doesn't say much in itself given the city's abysmal standards for vegan scran. They sell pricy snacks like vegan marshmallows and other stuff too much trouble for Holland and barrattt to try out. One day staff gave me two free courgettes which was terrific.

Pros: vegan items, reasonable range
Cons: pricy, small shop
the fox
the fox

Fantastic Shop!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2012

Wow! This place has really been transformed to a really vibrant place! Great selection of mostly vegan food and non food items with a focus on fairtrade and organic products. Great range of Cat Lane bread and other very tasty take away treats. To make the store even better you have two people running it who know what they are selling and are passionate about healthy food. A joy to shop there.

Pros: Wide range of vegan food, Late night Thursday, very helpful staff

Dear Owner and Manager of The Incredible Nutshell: