CLOSED: The Hutch

Housed in a 16th Century building in this historic cathedral town of Canterbury, the exposed beams and bare tudor bricks are in keeping with a bygone age. The foods are made from locally sourced fresh produce straight from the Garden of England to the table. Extensive drinks and food menu. Offers a wide range of gluten free dishes. JAN 2013 SHUT DOWN PER OWNER. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, English, International, Beer/Wine
13 Palace Street (St Alphege Lane)
Canterbury, England CT1 2DZ
+44-0-01227-766700

Open Tue-Sun 12pm-4pm, Tue-Sat 6pm-9pm, closed Mon and Sun evening.

First Review by gra26264
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

Delicious food

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

Tasteful decor, linen-feel napkins, light-coloured wood tables, dark wooden ceiling beams. Fresh flower on each table.
Parsnip-apple soup and hot roll: nice sweet-ish soup. Meal deal during Festival was GBP10 for two courses: I had the tapas plate and garden pie and a Fentiman's Rose Lemonade. Tapas were: aubergine caviar and a few slices of pickled aubergine (yum), butterbean puree (excellent), mango-tomato salsa, homemade foccacia, marinated tri-colour peppers, black olives. Garden pie came with a roll and salad of mixed greens with a nice dressing. Pie was steaming hot, with mashed potato topping (spinach making it green), tomatoes, carrots, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, zucchini. Tasty.
Special lunch one day: small pastry pie of mushrooms with red-wine gravy, served with roasted potatoes and carrots/cauliflower/broccoli, 7.95. Another visit I had the burger: nice patty of lentils, vegetables, sunflower seeds, good size (not too big) - the vegan option meant nothing was on the bun, so I put the lettuce leaves on top and the provided condiment (caraway seeds and shredded carrot) on it. Served with a bunch of tomato wedges, small salad, four "chunky chips." I had the pineapple-sorbet dessert: thinly sliced pineapple, raspberry halves and good, creamy raspberry sorbet.
Christmas menu sounded great.

Pros: tasty food, good selection, vegan options
Cons: closed Mondays
Tara HD
Tara HD

Excellent

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

I had dinner there in August 2011. It's a great place with a nice atmopshere, friendly staff and excellent food (I had a Tajine) for a fair price.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
Lilimedusa
Lilimedusa

Great food and nice staff

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2011

The restaurant has a lot of vegan dishes that are all absolutely delicious! The chocolate mousse was amazing!

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice staff

rachaelcamp
rachaelcamp

An absolute gem!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

My mum took me here on a Friday evening, as we were celebrating my university results. There aren't many vegan friendly places in Folkstone to eat, so we went to this restuarant.

On first impression, it's a cute well restored 16th century building, with a clean and welcoming interior. The menu looked delicious and has plenty of vegan options. The food arrived fairly quickly, but not too quick. It was absolutely delicious, I would definitely recommend the tapas, especially the aubergine "caviar".

The restaurant had a very relaxed atmosphere, and along with a very friendly waitress we really enjoyed our meal.

Would recommend to anybody visiting Canterbury, we will definitely be back.

Pros: Excellent Food, Attentive and friendly service, Seasonal and fresh menu
Cons: Can't think of any
Cindy Edwards
Cindy Edwards

Highly Recommended

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2011

What a wonderful restaurant. The staff were friendly, cheerful and obliging. We had booked a table and they greeted us by name on arrival. The restaurant is clean, bright and welcoming. It was a busy Saturday lunchtime and there was a lovely, buzzy atmosphere. Vegan options are shown on the menu and the drinks menu was varied, with wine, beer and cider. We shared the generous mixed tapas platter for two as a starter - light homemade bread served with plump and succulent red and black olives and various dips/salads - fresh, tasty, delicious. My husband had the detox wrap but was very envious of my vegetable crumble - the cuman and paprika topping was wonderful - the balance of spices was spot on. We shared the hot apple crumble (they had run out of vegan vanilla ice-cream but were able to offer vegan cream instead) and a yummy chocolate mousse topped with nuts and blueberries. Every bite was heavenly and thoroughly enjoyed. All washed down with a decent bottle of wine. Portion sizes were medium - not too small or large. Service was good, considering the restarant was full. We did have to wait a little while for the food, but we were in no hurry and I prefer to wait for food this good. The prices were reasonable and on the way to the restaurant we were given a 10% off voucher by a brave chap dressed as a carrot(!). Loved it and can't recommend enough.

Pros: Vegan options, Excellent food, Lovely staff
gra26264
gra26264

the hutch,rabbit food of the highest quality,lol

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2010

recently refurbished,good atmosphere,vegetarian restaurant that is mostly vegan,excellent food,very friendly service,a must for any vegetarian or vegan visitors to canterbury

Pros: excellent food, mostly vegan, friendly owner and staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Hutch: