Serves meat, veg options available. Also known as The Hungry Tiger Too, this is a bar and restaurant that offers a separate vegan menu alongside its regular menu. Fast food and bar food. Vegan corn dogs. Very casual, operating since 2006. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Fast food, Non-veg
207 SE 12th Ave (Belmont District)
Portland, Oregon 97214

shaine0
shaine0

Service Disaster

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2014

Wanted to stop by for a quick eat after an eight hour drive. Tired and hungry we walk to this cool vegan bar we've heard of with high hopes. Once we walk in it was immediately I mood turn around. The service was automatically rude and wouldn't allow us to eat because we are not 21 yet. We asked if we could at least order and eat outside. He refused us service completely. I felt so insulted.

Cons: Bad Service
heywood100
heywood100

Decent Vegan Fast Food

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

Not quite sure where some of the complaints about bad service are coming from, as it appeared to be a bar rather than a sit-down restaurant, at least when we visited. You go to the bar, you order your food and a beer, you sit down and watch the hockey - simple.

Not all of the food is veggie, but most things have a vegan alternative, and there are a lot of cheap happy hour deals. We had the buffalo wings (very spicy, which was good for me, although perhaps a bit too much for my girlfriend), fries, and corn dogs. I've never had a corn dog before in my life, so I have no idea if these were good corn dogs - they seemed a bit...overly breadcrumbed? But maybe that's the way it goes, I'll leave the Americans to judge.

All round, it was a decent place - cheap food, fairly good selection of beer, kind of grungy character. If you're looking for some laid back bar food, you could do worse.

cattyshedevil
cattyshedevil

OK Food Horrible Service

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

I went in the last part of August and ordered dinner. If took forever! There was only one waitress and she kept going into the bar and talking to her friend and could care less about the customers. The restaurant kept filling up and everyone kept waiting. I finally was done and gave her a big tip that hopefully she would change her attitude. I went to the bathroom and checked to see if she took the tip. She took $2 out of $5.

Pros: vegan food , nice cook , open late
Cons: bad service , rude waitress

laurawrld
laurawrld

Excellent Nachos

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

It's a bar, I wasn't expecting some kind of fancy service, and it's not that nice looking. Trendy eclectic Portland, it's a bar...with FABULOUS Nachos. I was craving cheese, of course didn't want to eat cheese, but none the less was craving it. Back when I did eat cheese I had some pretty bad nachos at restaurants. These were fabulous, not just the cheese sauce, but the whole pile of them with black beans, pico de gallo, sour cream, jalapenos. They were just yum!! Will definitely be going back again and trying some of their other things.

Pros: Excellent Nachos, Low Price, Casual atmosphere
Cons: It's a bar, Serve meat dishes (could be pro too), Cheap looking
vasilichia
vasilichia

Good Food, Bad Help.

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

We went here for a quick dinner right after we got into town. While the food was good the service was not. We were never greeted, we were sitting for over 10 minutes until we got up to go to the counter to order only to be rudely told she would be right with us. It took a long time to get sandwiches and when we were finished we had to wait for our check because our waitress was off sitting and eating. I'm not sure if slow service is normal in Portland but being from the East coast I felt like we were basically ignored while she helped other tables. All in all it was odd..

Pros: Food
Cons: Servicw
bluefooted
bluefooted

Amazing!

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2011

It sucks that they serve meat, as this will easily be 5 starts. The menu is divided into "classic" meaning meat eaters and vegan, but both menus have almost the exact same food type items. So instead of an egg scramble, they have a tofu scramble.

My wife had the tofu scramble with the biscuit and gravy (all vegan of course) and it was amazingly good. The only downside was the amount of gravy was not enough for the biscuits.

I personally had the "southeast sandwich" which was actually a club sandwich. It tasted amazing! I was a huge fan of club sandwiches back when I ate meat and although it has been 3 years since I had one, this tasted like the real deal, only all vegan. It was vegan tofukey and some tempeh bacon, and it tasted so good. I had a side order of vegan ranch for my fries, and that is perhaps the best vegan ranch I have ever had.

As a hint, I am from the east bay area, where we have Berkley and some good vegan restaurants, and this place was amazing. I bought a gift card for the people we were staying with, which I rarely do. Plus they had cherry 7up, which I haven't had in years.

Total cost for scramble, clubhouse sandwich, soda and coffee cost about 20 bucks.

As a last comment, my waitress was really friendly. He complimented me on my choices, and sounded excited about my random "hold this, add this" to make it a guilt free order. I hope you get her as well.

Pros: Taste, Price
mjp599
mjp599

Breakfast best

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2011

Best vegan pancakes in Portland. Many other vegan options on their menu that are also good.

Pros: Great value
nonyabusnus
nonyabusnus

half vegan

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

Menu is half vegan half meat w/ beginning pages on both ends of the menu reversed. No minors after 9pm. (One person forgot their id so we all had to sit outside). Biscuts & gravy were amazing.....so was mac n cheeze. Basil tomato soup cup was good but tiny. Side tiger salad w/ v ranch was awesome. BLTeaser was a bit dry bread & not the dankest possible. Drinks were a porter, madana, & lebowski.

Cons: small portions, no under 21 after 9pm
kindlizard
kindlizard

split decision

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

We had mixed reviews from our group. I personally don't think a place that dresses up Bocas and Tofurkey is really exciting. 2 of the people I was with did. Their thoughts are that you might as well as it is available. My belief is that I can get that at a store easily and do the same for less. They think while that is true most mainstream places do just that so why not a vegan place doing it w vegan offerings, albeit processed. I suppose I just seek out processed foods in general. The menu does offer other things, like scrambles, which I thought was just ok, as did my partner.

I love the idea, and they had Sunday NFL ticket rockin in the bar, which would appeal greatly to me if I were local. I would go here if I was local to it, but I don't think I would seek it out when in from out of town unless w an omni Football watching crowd on a weekend day. The place could use a scrubbing. Other than that... pretty good. The shared app was crispy butternut wontons which were pretty good.

I think it has a place and purpose, but not top on my list.

Pros: football, fun items on menu
Cons: needs cleaning, could be better
Tigra220
Tigra220

Vegan Panqueues!!

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2009

After more than 15 hours of driving, I returned to Portland very hungry. I'd been craving vegan pancakes for 2 years, but it was after midnight, so I didn't know what to do. Thanks to The Hungry Tiger Too, problem solved.

I ordered vegan pancakes with tempeh bacon, vegan sausage, and hash browns. The vegan pancakes were great. I personally was not a big fan of the tempeh bacon, but the vegan sausage was good. It was nice to have somewhere decent to grab a bite in the middle of the night. It was like a vegan Denny's.

Space seemed to be limited (understandably) that late at night, as the main dining room area was closed off. Everyone was seated at the bar. (I made my order to go.) If you plan eat late with a bunch of friends, you may want to call them to see if they will open the main dining area for your group.

Pros: Vegan pancakes!, open late
  • Tigra220 Tigra220

I forgot to mention that the portions were humongous!

happyherbivore
happyherbivore

excellent

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2009

the best vegan food we had in portland! The wontons are life changing good, then of course you can't beat vegan corndogs. We also had the daily special, eggplant chimichanga, which I highly recommend!

Pros: delicious
Cons: not 100% vegan
sandy
sandy

New Vegan Menu

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2008

We went to check out their new vegan menu. Favorites are the spanish scramble with hash browns and toast, taco salad and the BLT with Tempeh.

Pros: Good vegan selection, good vegan food, location
Cons: TV in bar, not completely veg
desnudo1
desnudo1

good breakfast

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

man they have vegetarian biscuits and gravy!!! fantastic! and booze

Dear Owner and Manager of Hungry Tiger: