The Hummingbird Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Veggie friendly cafe serving sandwiches, salads, soup, smoothies, juices, desserts, and more. Has soy and almond milk options for drinks, vegan pesto, and vegan mayo. Local art on the walls. Outdoor patio seating available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Non-veg

vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

absolutely wonderful

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

A beautiful cafe with lots of vegan options. We had delicious vegan pancakes, smoothie and great espresso. They have vegetable juices, tofu scrambles, vegan sandwiches and vegan baked goods. Great atmosphere and free wifi.

Pros: lots of vegan options, beautiful space
veganangel
veganangel

Great vegan food in the middle of nowhere :)

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Okay so we went out of our way to eat at the Hummingbird cafe (added an hour onto an already too long road trip) but it was worth it! The menu had several vegan options and they all sounded delicious. I got the veggie burger and my husband had the Slanted and Enchanted and they were both really, really good. We had hoped to make it for breakfast which looks even more amazing but missed it by an hour (DANG!). The service was not the greatest as our server seemed very inexperienced and new to the establishment. Overall though a very good and memorable meal.

Pros: Food, Good Beer, Decor
Cons: Slow wait staff, 700 miles form home
Gina Simmons
Gina Simmons

Fab and pet friendly!

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2011

I drive across country every summer and not only try to find vegan places but pet friendly as well! Hummingbird was fabuloso! Can't say enough about the fresh food that was packed with flavor, the lovely people that let me bring in my larger doggie on the indoor patio! (If it's summer you must try in indoor patio). The owners run the place and are super sweet and the cost very reasonable...thanks Happycow!

Pros: Vegan, Tasty
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Quaint cafe

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2010

The Hummingbird Cafe is a delightful little cafe tucked away in the enigmatic city of Butte, MT. They offer an adequate selection of fresh smoothies and juices, made on-site as well as loose leaf teas and beverages of other sorts. Their menu is very acocmodating for vegetarians and vegans alike. It is artistic, communal and very eco-friendly. Even thier washroom, with a plethora of family snapshots, framed and hanging on the wall, places you in a seemingly familiar environment.

In response to the lengthier - and most informative - of the reviews below, I must say that, having tasted their TLT (tempeh, lettuce & tomato) sandwich, I must argue that their tempeh is quite tasty. I found it to be delicious - complete with vegan mayo. Perhaps the Hummingbird Cafe has procured better tempeh since the aforementioned reviewer ate there.

In any case, the food, ambiance, value and staff are splendid and the Hummingbird is certainly worth a stop.

Pros: Dollar Value, Nice staff, Fresh juices & smoothies
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Great Cafe

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2009

As a vegan, I found plenty from which to choose. Several sandwich options, which were great. Several coffees and herbal teas by the cup or pot. Go for breakfast as the locals do.

Poppy Seed
Poppy Seed

Great food!

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2009

This is our second time at the Hummingbird and it takes us about an hour to drive there from Bozeman. For us, it is definitely worth the drive. It's the only veg place around these parts, too. We were told that the owners are vegan so it is definitely vegan-friendly! Half the sandwiches on the menu are vegan and their soups are always vegan, too. Their baked goods are always made sans animal products. The cupcakes are AMAZING (I believe recipes are from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)! Don't even think you'll want to share one with someone else. You'll want one for your own... maybe two. The sandwiches aren't the cheapest you'll find at $5.95-$7.95 each (with some tortilla chips and a pickle on the side), but they don't skimp on the toppings. Unfortunately, there are meat/cheese sandwiches on the menu as well, but you should check out "build your own sandwich" which is always fun. I don't recommend the tempeh though. For some reason stores in Montana can't get the "good" kind and the kind that is available sort of falls apart into little soybeans instead of holding together... but hey, maybe you like that or maybe that will change. The veg bacon (made from tempeh) is good stuff though. The cookies are all quite large and around $2.95 each, but the flavors both times I went were not quite what I fancied. I personally like my chocolate chip cookies without nuts or cranberries thankyouverymuch, but I was happy with my cupcake :) Really great atmosphere here and the staff was friendly. I also like that they are open on Saturdays. If you're in town or driving through, you need to check this place out!

Pros: cupcakes (and other baked goods), many sandwich choices, atmosphere
Cons: serves meat/cheese, sub-par tempeh, could be slightly cheaper

Dear Owner and Manager of The Hummingbird Cafe: