The Himalya

krissimi
krissimi

Good food

3 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

They serve good food but their restaurant area is nothing to brag about.

Pros: kind staff, good food, fast preparation time
Cons: poor atmosphere, location
S.S.Shawna
S.S.Shawna

Fast and Yummy!

3 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

My husband and I, both vegan, have been here once. I myself am an Indian food expert (self proclaimed). I like supporting this restaurant, which is small and family owned and operated. All of the staff are sweet (Of course!) and very helpful. Although this restaurant is vegetarian specific, which I greatly applaud, I'm afraid the food is unremarkable. It tastes good, and soothes cravings, but my experience was somewhat of a let-down. I ordered aloo gobi, channa masala (too much onion, not enough chickpeas!), and samosas.

Pros: Parking, Kind Staff, Prices
peace of her mind
peace of her mind

The Very Best

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2009

We have been frequenting this restaurant for a number of years. We used to drive from Burlington on a regular basis to pick up food from here but then we moved closer and eat here at least once a week. The family who owns it is very pleasant and the girls who work there are really sweet. The food is amazing. My sister lives in Vancouver and anytime she is home or if we meet her on vacation her only request is that we bring her Himalya samosas! Every party we go to where we need to take something, I always order from here. It is located in a small, starting to look run down plaza but it is clean and fresh and by far my favourite vegetarian restaurant. It's a MUST try. Ask for the Thali if you are unsure what to try first. You can order which spice level you prefer, mild, med, hot which is great because my vegetarian-since-birth kids can eat here ordering mild while I can get it as hot as I like. It's amazing. Love it love it love it! I've just made myself hungry writing about so I guess it's Himalya for lunch today!!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: plaza it's located in is a bit run down
Celeste1
Celeste1

Best Indian vegetarian food in town!

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2008

Himalya is a tiny restaurant with five or six formica tables grouped in an "L" shape around a glass showcase featuring delicious sweetmeats. These can be taken home in beautiful boxes if you choose. They would be wonderful hostess gifts.

Himalya is open 11a.m. - 9p.m. every day of the week except Tuesday. Enjoy the thali lunch of dal, rice, chapati, and two daily offerings for only $5.99 (!) or order a la carte from the separate dishes, e.g., paneer with peas, vegetables Jalfrezi, aloo gobi, etc. Takeout customers stream in to pick up their meals as I enjoy my thali platter. I like the 'small deli' size of the place and enjoy the hot food (temperature-wise) which the metal thali tray ensures. The pleasant counterperson/waitperson will ask if you wish your entrees mild, medium or hot. A large jug of water and glasses are provided at the beginning of the meal.

Take home some samosas, pakoras or sweets. Indian sweetmeats' ingredients often consist of milk, nuts, vegetables and LOTS of sugar. I particularly savour the pistachio-based varieties.

Do eat there. You'll enjoy the hot, delicious food, wonderful breads: puri, paratha, chapati and nan. Make sure you take some snacks home to tide you over till your nex visit. I order quantities of samosas and freeze them as do other members of my vegetarian family. Prices are extraordinarily low considering the excellent quantity and quality of the food served. A gem of a restaurant....

Pros: excellent food, excellent value, friendly, efficient staff

Dear Owner and Manager of The Himalya: