The Health Shoppe

Good selection and prices: organic produce, juice bar, vitamins. Family owned and operated for over 30 years. more-less
41A Charles St W (Bloor & Yonge/South Central)
Toronto, Ontario M4Y1T4
416-923-5071

First Review by veggiewoman
TilakDutta
TilakDutta

• non-vegetarian

Bad experience

1 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2011

I had a bad experience at the Yonge Health Shoppe today. I paid for my purchase with a $20 bill and noticed that I only got change back for a 5. I said "I think I paid with a 20″. The cashier looked at me and said "No, I'm pretty sure I it was a 5." Having just come from the bank machine I was positive I only had 20′s in my wallet and so tried but failed to convince her. The cashier refused to give me the $15 I was owed explaining I would have to wait until the end of the day when they cashed out to determine whether or not I was telling the truth. I had no choice. I wrote down my name and number and left the store - after getting a refund for my purchase.

Is the 5-was-a-20 a common scam among the Health Shoppe's hippie-health-concious clientelle? It must be. I'm sure the owner/manager have calculated giving the benefit of doubt to their customers would cost them more in the long run (@ $15/scammer) than the value of the few long-time loyal customers they lose along with some negative word-of-mouth from their honest customers. I'm sure it's just good business.

Ken4057
Ken4057

Cheaper than Noah's, more $$ than Tutti Frutti

3 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2010

I stop by here sometimes b/c it's convenient, but it's hit and miss price-wise, and the vegan selection isn't so hot.

The staff can be frumpy sometimes, too.

Head to Panacea just three blocks west for all-vegan food action.

veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Solid health food store

4 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

I lived right by the Health Shoppe one summer and stopped in on an almost daily basis. It has the usual suspects in terms of brands, with friendly and helpful staff and good variety. Even though it is located in Yorkville, prices are no more expensive than most other health food stores. Nice grab and go selection.

Pros: decent prices, good variety

Dear Owner and Manager of The Health Shoppe: