Family-owned and operated since 1971. Stocks organic and some local produce, veggie sandwiches for lunch, natural beauty products, bulk dried herbs, bulk foods section, supplements, books, an assortment of vegetarian, vegan, raw food, gluten free, low salt products. Not all veg. Provides biodegradable bags and eating utensils. Oct 2013 moved from Towson. more-less

First Review by indigogirl
Hcherbs
Hcherbs
  • raw

New location means some changes

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2014

The health concern moved from Towson in October of 2013 and opened in its Fullerton location in Feb 2014. With the move the store lost it's kitchen and no longer offers sandwiches, salad bar, or produce.

When summer comes the plan is to begin carrying Local produce only.

Currently the store houses more than 450 bulk herbs, many bulk nuts seeds, and grains. The store also carries many supplements, glutenfree options, and unique items not carried elsewhere I. The Baltimore area.

The staff has been restructured and is much more attentive and knowledgable than in its previous location.

The store is trying to get county approval for a once a week farmers market and hopes to see one by spring.

Pros: Bulk herbs, best selection around, Knowledgable staff, Does not carry known GMO's
Cons: No more salad bar, soups, or sandwiches, 700 feet from nearest bus stop, Building is a house and easy to miss
shanbogen
shanbogen

Great store, but doesn't have everything

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

Bring your own bags! They won't give you plastic bags. If you forget to bring one, you can buy a reusable bag from them or carry your stuff out in a cardboard box. Lesson learned!

For certain things, the store has a superior selection. For others, it is weirdly lacking. There is a great honey section including local/raw honeys. The bulk sections are also reasonably priced and pretty extensive.

Beware: more common products, of the sort that you might find at any Whole Foods or even the natural section of a regular grocery store, tend to be more expensive here. It is not a one-stop shop for everything you eat/use in life, but I definitely come here somewhat frequently for certain deals and rarities (unsweetened nondairy yogurt, which I can't even seem to find at my local Whole Foods).

Pros: Good bulk sections, Great honey selection, Eco-friendly
Cons: Slightly overpriced, Lack of attention from staff, Small
veganmel
veganmel

Rare Find

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

I have been shopping at this store about 10 years and I must say their organic produce is unmatched for quality, price, value and variety. They also have a wide variety of products that you just can't find at other store of this type. The most unique aspect from my perspective is the wide selection of prepared food items: Hot soup daily, veg & vegan cold sandwiches of many kinds, as well as a organic salad bar. I have met some of the friendliest staff members that you could ask. This place is a vegetarian/vegan palace. If it is health conscious they have it. Please take the time to find it and visit soon.

NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Wish I Had Gone Here Sooner!

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2010

Silly me... I have worked a block away from this store for 2 1/2 years now, and I just got around to going in today! Well, the good thing is that it's a pretty good little place! The sad thing is I missed out on it all this time. So, let's go to it. What I like: wide variety of veggie and vegan options, herbal and natural medicines and body products, etc. I found some stuff I never find anywhere else, like boxed egg replacers, a brand of soy jerky I never heard of, a variety of vegan chocolate chips, chia seeds, vegan butter (which I only occasionally find in the regular market), and vegan cheeses (like Daiya and some other brand for Parm cheese, not just soy cheeses with casein). I liked the selection of packaged vegan products, like the Sunneen brand. I didn't pay attention to the salad bar, but they did have one. The staff was friendly and helpful. What I didn't like: small store overall, so not a whole lot. In other words, I don't see it becoming a place for me to do all of my shopping... just specific items. It was pricey, but not really when you compare it to other healthy stores like it (I still don't understand why healthy/organic/veggie/vegan things tend to be more expensive!).

Pros: Great variety of veggie and vegan items, Carries hard to find items, Helpful and friendly staff
Cons: Small=not a place for all shopping needs, Bit pricey, but not unreasonable
treefrog
treefrog

The Health Concern is a Great Health Food Store!

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2009

The Health Concern is in a great location in the heart of Towson, the largest city in Baltimore County. In fact, this small, charming store has many qualities lacking at Whole Foods. All of their excellent quality produce is organic, and some are local when available. Their bulk foods are of an excellent quality as well. If you want a quick lunch you can pick up a freshly made healthy vegetarian or vegan sandwich they make on the premises. They also have an organic salad bar and freshly made soups. Their bulk herbs section is stocked with numerous, hard to find herbs. Their supplement department is large. This store has foods for special diets including gluten free, low sodium, low glycemic, and Asian foods. And the staff and owners are very friendly, knowledgable, and eager to help you with any questions you have. They can special order just about anything for you if they do not sell it in the store. I highly recommend this store to everyone. We shop there every week since it fulfills most of our shopping needs.

Pros: friendly staff, organic, local food, great location
Cons: small sized store, restrictive hours, poor signage
indigogirl
indigogirl
  • raw

Terrible store

1 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2008

I checked it out the other day and not only do they have terrible selection and customer service, but a few things I saw were very disturbing. The broccoli sprouts were very moldy and I bought some zinc losenges that were actually expired. A few other items in the store seemed either old or were expired. The produce selection was very sad and there was nobody at the herbal counter to help either. The staff seemed to be preoccupied with eachother and not customer-oriented at all. As if that weren't enough, their prices were at least three times that of anyone else. Way too expensive for the selection and quality. I will not be returning to this store---ever.

Pros: good honey selection
Cons: overpriced, poor customer service, expired/outdated products

Dear Owner and Manager of The Health Concern: