The Guru Fine Indian Cuisine

Serves meat, veg options available. Indian food menu, includes vegetarian or vegan appetizers and entrees. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Non-veg
5705 Victoria Ave (Clifton Hill)
Niagara Falls, Ontario ON L2G 3L5

RajS
  • non-vegetarian

Horrible Place

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

We went to this restaurant hungry on July 6th. We were not welcomed, may be because they did not care or we had an infant. They tried to push us to dark corner. The space was more than half empty but they did not put us on tables at the front even thought they were empty. The manager or owner whoever is that lady was very rude and don't care about customers. We left without eating and thank god for that. Now I hear from friends that the food was not good either. Just because they are at good location, please may have gone there for that horrible treatment. Avoid this place.

Pros: Location
Cons: Bad customer service, Bully behaviour, Not welcoming
am2414
am2414
  • non-vegetarian

Most pathetic service...arrgant staff and owner

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2012

What is the last thing you need when you are traveling? Anything that spoils the fun! yeah....[edit by staff - see ToS]

Here's why I say that. We went to this restaurant with high hopes as one of our friends suggested we try out this place. We didn't know that they only serve you when you order enough food so they are making money or they will tell you that they can't serve you. What a customer service!! I think the hygiene of a restaurant can be judged by its washrooms. Not only the washrooms here stink but I noticed roaches in there, I wonder how their kitchen would look like? But we found it the hard way, we found hair in the naan bread and a fly in the food. When we brought this to the notice of the staff, instead of acknowledging it, they found it funny and said "sorry, we are very busy and therefore, can't control these things". We argued and got the dish replaced but guess what later we looked at our bill and we were charged twice! We come from Toronto and have seen much higher standards for hygiene and customer service. I think located in a tourist area, they should have even higher standards for hygiene. This was intolerable, so we just left the scene, saying that we would never visit this place again and would never recommend anyone this place ever.

This restaurant spoiled our night and Christmas eve. I hope you don't have to go through what we went through. In 2013, if businesses are not concerned about providing good customer service, I think they don't have a right to operate. Moreover, I would plead CFIA or related authority to conduct an inspection of this restaurant so as to avoid tourist from getting sick after eating contaminated food.

Pros: Location, Location, Location
Cons: Service, Food, Expensive
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Bring a Gas Mask

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

The second I walked in I was struck by the most pungent incense I've ever encountered. I like some incense, but not this one. It stunk up the entire restaurant. There was no way that I could eat without the aroma of the food being overpowered by the smell of the incense. It had finished burning by the time I ordered take-out. I left for 25 minutes. When I came back, the smell was still way too strong.

I eat Indian food once or twice a week. I've eaten at Indian restaurants all over the U.S. and Canada. This is not a good Indian restaurant.

The crust of the samosas were extremely dry, as though they had been reheated several times. The aloo tikkis were very greasy. The behl puri was the worst that I ever had. I tried to cover the taste with some tamarind chutney, but it didn't help.

However, the waiter was very nice, except that he liked the incense and thought that the smell went away when it stopped burning.

voxam
voxam

Pretty Good and it does the Job

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2009

Went there for dinner with my girlfriend during a day in Niagara Falls. As we're both vegan, there were few options.

The menu has a small vegan section (5 entrees), as well as some breads and appetizers that are vegan; it's best to inquire with your server about those. I had a chickpea dish (chana massala I believe), which was quite good; it was slightly spicy but not overpowering. My girlfriend had a lentil dish which she enjoyed; unfortunately I didn't try it until my taste buds were corrupted by the spiciness of my meal so I can't give a good opinion. We also had some bread (I believe it was naan, only one of the bread options is vegan) which was pretty good, and some vegetables fried in lentil flour as an appetizer which were delicious. Overall I felt it was a good place, and in this day and age I think the prices were reasonable. It also seemed somewhat empty for a Saturday evening, probably because it's not on the main path.

A note to Americans; unlike most Indian/Asian restaurants in the U.S., rice is not included with entrees. This seems to be the norm in every other country I've been to.

thirdgreenham
thirdgreenham

Wow! The best Indian food I've ever had!!!

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2009

First off, the kind of vegetarian I am is known as "Asian vegetarian" or sometimes "Pure vegetarian". I don't eat onion, garlic, leeks, chives, or shallots. Usually people that abstain from these vegetables do it for religious purposes.

I love Indian food and most Indian restaurants have some vegetarian dishes, but you will rarely find one that has some dishes without onion or garlic. I always ask and there are some dishes that they can do this with and others they can't. I first called up "Guru" and asked if they had many vegetarian dishes. The lady said they did. I asked if the chef could prepare any of those dishes without onion or garlic. She explained that they have this request quite often and they can certainly accommodate me. I was very happy so I went right over.

We were a party of 4, including my little boy, less than a year old. I identified myself as the one who called about no onion and garlic. She was surprised and said that most of their customers that request that are almost always Indian, and sometimes Asian. My wife and her sister are Taiwanese and I'm a Canadian caucasian. Apparently there are many Indians from southern India who don't eat onion or garlic. Okay, I see I'm rambling now.

The place was nice and clean. The staff were very courteous and pleasant.

Here's what we had:

Saag Paneer
Begun Patiala
Yellow Dal
Basmati Steamed Rice
Plain Naan x2
Plain Prantha

I've eaten at many Indian restaurants before and this food was hands down the best I've ever had. Easily. Delicious and spicy dishes, and the naan bread was perfect. I will recommend this place to anyone interested in having fantastic authentic Indian food. Oh, I can't wait until I have more overseas friends or relatives come visit. This place will be remembered always.

As for the person that just gave a terrible review before me, it's too bad you didn't try the food. $11 or $12 for an entree is not too bad. I wondered about the size of portion and they told me that the food was served in 16 oz. bowls. I didn't know how big 16 oz. was, but for 3 people eating 3 dishes plus 3 breads and 1 rice, we were all stuffed. The total bill was under $50 before tip and I felt that was reasonable. Again, super-delicious!

Thank you, "Guru", and many compliments to the chef!

Andy

Pros: clean and nice decor, excellent service, great, great food
vegan.flora
vegan.flora

ok...

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2008

Considering the lack of choices for vegans in the Niagara Falls tourist area, I was satisfied with my meal at The Guru. We tried the yellow dal which was quite flavorless, and the chana masala which was pretty good. It was nice to see five meals listed in the "Vegan" section of the menu. Service was good, decor was a little too touristy (plastic wood, replicas of the same print throughout the restaurant) but certainly far better than the countless theme restaurants in the area.

Pros: location, vegan-friendly
Cons: bland food, decor
ElaineVigneault
ElaineVigneault

Great Niagara Falls Option

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2007

Wide vegetarian selection and five vegan entres. Staff is friendly and food is prepared quickly. Prices are reasonable and location is convenient and easy to find. Tried four of the five vegan options and all were delicious. Two thumbs up!

hclark
hclark

An OK option

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

The main thing The Guru has going for it is the location. It's also one of few veg options noted as such on sites like this.

We were one vegan, one vegetarian and one meat eater on vacation. Our first server got confused and left the table without explanation during the middle of our order. The second provided good service for the duration of our visit.

Overall the food was OK but certainly nothing to write home about. I found my food to be quite bland. They never asked about spice level (as I have come to expect from experience at other Indian restaurants) and must have assumed I wanted none. The other two in my party liked their food a bit better, but overall found it lacking.

This is a convenient option if you're in the area, but not one I'd highly recommend. Overall an OK dining experience.

Pros: convenient location
Cons: so so food
Guest
Guest

M.Patel

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2007

It was a very nice resturant with delicious food and fast service. We were 15 people and food came very fast. We were done eating in about 20 minutes. We would definatly go there again.

Pros: too small
LotusWombman
LotusWombman

Malai Kofta Anyone?

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2007

After tasting and enjoying Malai Kofta- an veggie meatball alternative- for years in various parts of North America... People, I found a winner! This restaurant is TOPS in my book so far!

Succulent and tasty, try their Malai Kofta with some Nan bread, a tall glass of Mango Lassi and a hot bowl of Gulab Jamun...YUMMI!

Clearly the next best thing to heaven and a great husband~ LOL!
Blessings!
Lotus!

Pros: health conscious menu, Ayurvedic Menu, Great Service
Cons: Not open 24 hours a day!

Dear Owner and Manager of The Guru Fine Indian Cuisine: