CLOSED: The Greens Cafe

Vegan restaurant offering a variety of healthy meals from veggie burgers and wraps to pasta, rice bowls, salads, kids menu, fruit smoothies, and more. Soy protein featured in many dishes. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Chinese, Juice bar, Take-out
15435 Jeffrey Rd Ste 110 (Irvine Center Dr)
Irvine, California 92618
n/a

First Review by Demiseborn
jamber79
jamber79

great service

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2009

This is a cute little restaurant. The service was very good and friendly. Went on a Sunday and had the buffet which was a good way to try different menu items. Some things were ok, some things were great. Some of the fried items would have been better if they were fresher. Now I know what I'll get next time, like the bbq sandwich, the eggrolls, and some of the wraps. The iced green tea was good, and the mocha chocolate cake was delicious. Would definitely go back.

Pros: service
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Now they have vegan buffet on Sundays

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2009

I wrote a review in the past (see below). I just found out that they came up with Sunday Vegan Buffet! Great idea! We don't have that around here. For $11.95, you can try their vegan dishes (some in the menu and some are not). We enjoyed it. The Joy Fried Rice was in the buffet. Also, their soy chicken fingers were there. Yummy! They have salad, crystal wrap, all kind of fruits, flan (for dessert), and all other tasty morsels. The only thing is that they are still learning about serving buffet. I found that the food is not that warm. I think they need to turn on the chaffing dishes higher. But fresh food keeps coming out. I think if you come during dinner or lunch time, there will be no problem.

My past review:
I have been to this new restaurant twice. Both times my experience have been excellent. I had the Crystal Wrap, Jumping with Joy Fried Rice, and Roof Top Spaghetti. They were all great. The food is not greasy and healthy. The fried rice is made of a mixed grain rice instead of white rice. Spaghetti was whole wheat spaghetti. Everything in this restaurant is organic, too. Wow! The taste was very good. The restaurant is clean, bright, and pleasant. I saw lots of vegan dessert in a glass case but didn't order any. One major plus is that their portions are large.
The second time I visited, I ordered Fragrant Soup and Joy Burger. Our friend ordered Crystal Wrap and Fragrant Soup. The soup is actually like a stew and is hearty with soy protein chunks and lots of veggies. Yum! The Joy Burger was popular in yelp.com review of this restaurant. Right, it was delicious! I really don't have any qualm about this restaurant other than that it is kind of hiding from the street. However, once you know where it is, you'll come back again and again. I still want to come back to try other vegan dishes and desserts they have. Almost forgot, I tried their Iced Roselle Plum Tea and it was refreshing.

Pros: Clean, Bright atmosphere
Cons: place is hidden, food in buffet needs to be warmer
Chia
Chia

Good start - has potential to be better

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2009

Was here in July 09. I'm please to write a review about my trip on HappyCow.net. The Greens Cafe is located in a shopping plaza with many other small businesses and restaurants. The interior is bright and clean, small but enough space for walking about. Diners order their food at the counter and the owner/server brings it to you.

I got to try a western style veg burger that came with a side of fries (burger so-so, fries soggy), the wonton soup (delicious), and the spicy tofu entree served with brown/rice rice (yummy tofu and nice spice but very oily, excellent rice).

The whole set up is very casual and easy going. The food prices ranged from inexpensive to moderate/affordable. Was happy to see that there were other customers enjoying their meals.

I would return again to try the other menu offerings when in the area and craving Chinese food. Check it out.

Pros: friendly people, good concept, clean and inviting space

Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Unbelievably imaginative and delicious

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2009

A great area for vegan restaurants and this is one of the best anywhere. Great from appetizers to desert to smoothies.

Dismantlethemoon
Dismantlethemoon

Go Greens!

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2009

My boyfriend and I visited Greens last night for the first time, and Wow! Where do I start. Before our food came out, we were presented with a sample of a new item that they were experimenting with, a sort of cream cheese vegetable wrap. It was delicious! We ordered the crispy sticks (a sort of panko breaded fish stick) and it came with a side of tartar sauce. They were perfect, firm and flavorful and the tartar sauce was the perfect compliment. My boyfriend had the BBQ sandwich and I had the Happy burger. My burger was juicy and flavorful, the marinated mushrooms and onions really rounded out the flavors and the sweet potato fries that came with it were phenomenal. His BBQ sandwich had the perfect smoky sauce taste, not too sweet like you experience with some vegan bbq sauces. The organic greens side salad that accompanied it had a very flavorful lemon maple vinaigrette that complimented his dish very nicely. He enjoyed his food so much that he also ordered an Ocean Beauty wrap to go, sort of a mock tuna with onions, cucumber and apples on the side. Of course that was as delicious as everything else we tried. The food is quite filling, he usually eats every couple of hours but he commented on how long he stayed full after the meal. We will be going back to Greens as soon as possible!

Pros: Amazing service, Organic everything, delicious food!

Dear Dismantlethemoon:

thank you very much for your great review and your love of our organic vegan food. Yes, we always try out best to make delicious and awesome vegan foods to show people the vegan life style is the right way to go.

Hope to see you again soon

luxperpetua
luxperpetua

I Heart Greens

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2009

The Greens Cafe is an absolute delight. The atmosphere is pleasant, the owners and staff are very friendly, and most importantly, the food is vegan and tasty. Plus the food is organic and the portion sizes are generous (trust me, I'm a "good eater" as my family puts it). Pretty much everything I've tried here has been top-notch, and I am particularly obsessed with the Half Moon Wraps and the ice cream sundaes. The owners are enthusiastic and positive, and have even let us try samples of possible future menu items (the pita wraps were delicious; I hope they're added to the menu). All in all, I love this place!

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff

Dear Luxperpetu:

Thank you very much for your great review and your love to our half moon dish. If you try some other dishes next time you may alos be amazed that all our food are delicious and awsome. We will always try our best to serve customers with good quality foods.

See you soon

pockymonster
pockymonster

I can't believe it's vegan!

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2009

The alfredo/white sauce pasta was amazing!!! You can't leave without trying the carrot cake. It's just right. Not too sweet, just enough to be amazing!

Dear Pocky Monster:

Thank you very much for your great review and we glad you like our food so much. We are developing new dishes and you will have new surprises next time you come to enjoy our food.

See you soon

dinakourda
dinakourda

Great Energy

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

Love the food, esp. the Ocean Wrap and Crystal Wraps. The management/owners have such great energy and really care about animals. I went crazy for the green tea ice cream and their carrot cake is just as good as Veggie Grill's.

Pros: Great Service, Yummy Food, Clean Bathroom

Dear Dinakourda:
    Thank you very much for your encouragement and we will keep working better and better to satisfy our customers. Glad you enjoyed our Ice creame.

Hope to chat with you again at Greens Cafe.

Grugular
Grugular

Great food, Reasonable pricing

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2009

I found out about this place only a couple of weeks ago and have already been there four times. I've been good about trying something new every time I went and never walked away in regret. The portions are generous and at a good price. The club sandwich and crispy sticks are my favorites. Make sure you try their peach cobbler ice cream and carrot cake.

Pros: tasty, excellent portions, pricing
Cons: hard to spot

Dear Grugular:

I am so glad that you like our food so much and have become one of our satisfied customers. We will work harder to keep our customer happy all the time.

See you soon at Greens Cafe

lindatran
lindatran

Happy atmosphere and delicious food

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2009

One of my new favorites in SoCal! :) The restaurant is bright and airy which makes you feel immediately welcomed when you sit down. If you're not happy when you walk in, then you will be when you take a look at the menu...all the titles include something positive, like happy, delight, and love. I enjoyed the crispy stix, especially the chipotle sauce. I hope to venture outside of my comfort zone, but I find myself always stuck with these dishes: happy bbq sandwich, join-the-club sandwich, embrace by light spaghetti, and jumping for joy fried rice. I just love them too much to try anything else! One of my favorite things about the place is the roselle plum tea...soooo different and delicious!! I particularly don't like to eat salted dry plums (candyish stuff sold in clear plastic containers found in Asian supermarkets), but this drink totally changed my mind...now I can't help but stop in for a drink if I'm nearby!

Pros: spacious parking, friendly staff, good portions

Dear Lindatran:

Thank you very much for your great review and your likeness to our vegan foods, such as our Roselle plum tea and all you other favourates.

Hope you can enjoy more and more of our organic vegan foods

lAWRENCE

Demiseborn
Demiseborn

Amazing

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2009

This is a pretty new restaurant but they are definitely going to make a name for themselves. I couldn't believe the variety of food available and the incredible presentation. The prices are very reasonable too. I tried the Friendship Sandwich and it was absolutely delicious. They also have awesome Flan and Crispy Sticks appetizers. I am going to recommend it to all my friends and will be back soon. You should definitely go soon. You will not regret it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, amazing presentation
Cons: none, none, and none

Dear Demiseborn:
    Thank you very much for your great review and glad you enjoyed our food and our presentation. We will keep improve ourselves to satisfy more customers like you.

See you soon at Greens Cafe