CLOSED: The Greenhouse -...

Licensed vegetarian restaurant serving Manchester since 1983. Extensive menu with about 50% vegan choices. Not connected with the Greenhouse, Altrincham. Closed on Boxing Day. AUGUST 2012 REPORTED CLOSED/SHUT DOWN, OWNERS MOVED TO AUSTRALIA. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-Friendly, Lacto, International
331 Great Western Street, Rusholme (170 yards from Wilmslow Road at junction with Heald Grove)
Manchester, England
+44-0161-2240730, +44-161-2240730

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Stevie
J-Veg
J-Veg

A unique dining experience

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

I've been here a few times and I have to say I've never quite experienced anything like it before!

A little hard to find but once you're inside, it's like stepping into someone's living room. The owner (Robin) is lovely and he will really make you feel at home. They have an unbelievable range of dishes and they also have a wide range of drinks, such as guest beers/ales/ciders.

The food itself is simple, honest food and is prepared with love. There are both vegetarian and vegan meals.

Don't come here expecting a posh, swanky restaurant. You will feel more like going to a friend's for dinner... except he isn't your friend (yet) and he isn't joining you for dinner!

Constructive criticism: On the occasions where I've been, the menu has been a little difficult to navigate and sometimes my first (or even second) choice hasn't been available. I'd personally prefer quality over quantity.

Pros: Cosy, friendly atmosphere, Good, honest food
booklover84
booklover84

Average food, a bit ramshackle.

2 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

The first time we visited The Greenhouse we thought it had shut down as it looked like it was falling apart! My partner then phoned and spoke to the owner, and he kindly said he would open for us if we let him know when we were coming. When we arrived, there was no-one in sight, and we seated ourselves before the owner appeared from somewhere. he was very kind, and I really would like to give a good review, but I wasn't really impressed. The decor was very dated, a bit grimy, and odd (kitsch?!), and there were several large flies buzzing around us for the whole meal. The toilets were also a bit grotty and old. Our meal was ok, with great portion sizes, but I didn't feel it was any different to a packet you might get from the supermarket. There was a huge amount of vegetables served with the meal, but they were a bit over cooked. The food also took an eternity to arrive, and so we had no time for dessert, as we were going to a show after. We were the only two customers for the whole time there. I am a bit confused by all the really good reviews of this place - maybe we caught it on an off day, or maybe they are due to the very friendly nature of the owner?

Pros: Good portions, Easily located, Friendly owner
Cons: A bit grimy, Average food, Slow service
preppyvegan
preppyvegan

Great Food!

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

One of my favourite veggie places in Manchester! The menu is extensive, the portions are large and the desserts are amazing! I enjoy the atmosphere and the owner is so friendly and interesting to talk to. It is true that sometimes not everything listed on the menu is available but the owner has always been very good about listing what is not available when you are seated. The salad that comes with the main course is always fresh and the homemade dressing is very good as well. My favourite item by far has to be the vegan cheesecake with lingonberries. The vegan wine and beer options are also excellent with some options that are hard to find elsewhere including hemp beer.

Weird but good

2 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

Strangest crowded decor I have ever seen in restaurant but kinda cool.

The owner is also the chef. Both my boyfriend and I only got our 3rd choice of dishes as what we wanted wasn't on that night.

We had come for a romantic meal as we were a fairly new couple. The owner stayed at our table talking for so long as we ate, that we felt awkward trying to have our own private conversation.

The salad was well past it's best but the rest of the food was v tasty.
Couldn't make any sense of the hand written bill.

It felt like we had gone to an enthusiastic strangers house for dinner!

Pros: Vegan friendly, Quick service, Quirky decor
Cons: Food not all fresh, Limited menu as it turned out, No privacy
Scottish Clare
Scottish Clare

Amazing choice and amazing food

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

The Greenhouse
We happened to be in Manchester on Valentine's day and booked a table for the Greenhouse as we were looking for somewhere veggie/vegan. We didn't have any problems finding the restaurant and we had no concerns about the location - it's just off a busy main road with lots of people around and lots of buses serve the area if you don't want to walk (the restaurant website has details of all the buses). The restaurant is a converted house and that's just what it feels like - the decor is dated and a bit odd but the overall effect is that it's cosy and unique - we've certainly never been anywhere quite like it. The full menu (which is huge) wasn't available but we still had an amazing choice of 13 starters, 13 main courses and 13 desserts most of which were vegan. The drinks menu was extensive too with lots of interesting soft drinks as well as plenty of veggie and vegan wines and beers. Luckily the service was relaxed and we had plenty of time to choose. It's very rarely that you find such a huge choice of vegan dishes so there was a lot of debate over what to have. We were both really pleased with what we chose - the food was freshly made, tasty and there was plenty of it. We'll definitely go back here next time we're in Manchester as it really was a great experience. Only very small complaint was that the toilets could have done with a bit of a clean but this didn't spoil our evening in any way.

Gijs
Gijs

a hidden gem!

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

When we first arrived at the restaurant and saw the run-down extorior of the building, we could've sworn that it had been empty and closed for at least 3 years. Luckily, we didn't allow ourselves to be put off by this and trusted the good rating from this site. It looks quite alright on the inside. Due to a temporary unavailability of any staff but the owner, the place was officially bookings only. But since we were the only ones there and there were no bookings for the evening, the friendly owner kindly accommodated us.
The menu offers an overwhelming choice of vegan meals, although some turned out to be unavailable.
Most important of all, the food tasted delicious! After a starter and a main course, we were so stuffed that we couldn't eat a dessert anymore. But the owner was so kind to let us order some vegan cheesecakes as a take-away. These surpassed even our highest expectations!
If you visit Manchester, don't miss out on this place! But ring them before your visit to make a reservation.

Pros: great vegan food, friendly owner, best cheesecake ever!
Cons: run-down exterior, a short bus ride from city centre
ChelseaKeene13
ChelseaKeene13

scary but yummy

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2012

I was super scared when we arrived to see the place was looking kinda abandoned and overgrown but one should never judge a book by its cover so we went in as we drove over 20 miles for a special occasion.

I was so happy with the menu, excellent choice and fresh. The food was amazing and the owner so lovely and friendly will go again but i can't imagine taking some people there i don't think they would get over the outside.

Pros: excellent choice, friendly, yummy food
Cons: outside appearance
soupdragon
soupdragon

deliciously unconventional

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2012

Wonderful food made fresh by friendly, talkative and fascinating local man. Good choice of beer and wine, all vegetarian. Usually quite quiet. Huge menu which changes continually depending on what the owner can get fresh. Not the cheapest place locally but you get a lot for your money. There is a student discount but it's a little confusing.

veglady
veglady

Not recommending...

2 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

Really scruffy offputting place. Broken window, the door and the whole venue look as if literally nothing has been done for decades to make it look at least acceptable. When you arrive, you discover that most of the tempting dishes you found on their website are off the menu and you have to chose from the dishes made of simple vegetables. Huge dissapointment. On the top of that I was overcharged and was left too speechless to question it.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 22, 2011

raisetheruth
raisetheruth

Tasty Tasty

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

I Love this place, very warm and friendly with tasty food.

The food has a home-cooked feel. Some of the food combinations are unusual e.g broccoli and cauliflower served with the taco, but I have to admit that I didn't mind because the food is that good and well considered.

This place has a lot of charm and an extensive menu, i do plan to go back again.

Pros: Large Menu, Tasty Food, friendly staff
Cons: Ugly building from the outside
niallmc
niallmc

I can' believe the gem of a menu

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2009

When we arrived at the Greenhouse we really weren't sure if it was open or shut down. The outside decor is so offputting. No menu outside but the christmas like lights that were hanging on the window and turned on game some clue of life. onsidering it was summer time it did seem a bit strange to have Christmas lights. Even stranger were the halloween decorations that were dotted around when we opened the door. And even stranger again was the irish music that was playing. the sor of irish music that isn't listened to by the population living in the country but is played to death in tourist towns.

This was all a bit diconcerting and thankfully the restaurant far exceeded our first impressions. It did seem like stepping back into a tme warp and that interior design is not the owners main thing....However after one look at the menu I was willing to forgive them anything. Tons of starters, mains and deserts. Half a ton vegan as well so I was happy. Pies to kill for, the kind of food I would rarely cook at home (but all marvellous0. i left amazed and armed with plenty of deas for my kitchen at home.

Don't be deceived by the appearane just marvel at the menu. do ring in advance if you can as it has a smallish capacity and is pretty popular

Pros: huge menu, great conversation
Cons: badly decorated, poor frontage
louis
louis

The Greenhouse

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2008

A short bus/taxi ride from Oxford Road. I agree with the other reviewers that the food here is excellent in terms of taste and choice, with a vast choice for vegans. More vegan desserts than other places I've been to. The non-veg*ns with me were also very satisfied with their meals. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. In my opinion the interior would benefit from a bit of a spruce up and then I would give it a five.

Pros: vast choice, great vegan desserts, serve variety of alcohol
Cons: interior could do with a spruce up
Vix
Vix

Greenhouse

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2008

I had a wonderful meal there, it is 50% Vegan but I was amaxed at the variety of choices. As a Vegan I am ot used to having so many and it took me ages to choose. Oh my god the Vegan chocolate donut desert Oh My God to die for.

My only negative comment was my partner said the toilet was dirty, So close to perfection.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly staff, Great Venue
Cons: Dirty Toilet
Chandra
Chandra

Worth Finding - On my top Veggie Restaurant List

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2007

As a vegan tourist in England, it isn't easy to come by many offerings outside of curry houses (of which there are many) and a few Chinese restaurants.

The taxi driver may try to talk you out of going here because the street runs from "Curry Mile" into a very bad neighborhood, but don't let them talk you out of it. This restaurant is safely located one block off of the famed "Curry Mile." It is a little hidden but don't be put off of this little bohemian place. And, don't be afraid of walking off of curry mile down this street to find it.

I travel a lot and have tried to remain a vegan throughout my global business trips. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST!

This is a 100% vegetarian restaurant and 50% of the menu items are vegan. You can also have many dishes made vegan and the staff is very friendly and can advise you as to how something can be prepared. There is a regular menu (which has a rediculously robust selection of starters, main courses, and desserts) and seasonal specials. I heard that they try to use locally grown produce so there is a seasonality to the dishes.

The Haggis was delicious, the curry sweet potato appetizer had just the right amount of spice, and the squash and nut roast was amazing! My friend (a local resident) had the cheese and spinach pie and said that if all vegetarian tasted this good, she would not need to eat meat. My friend said that she would definitely bring people there again.

And, then there is the homemade vegan cheese cake with current sauce. Fantastic!

When people ask how someone can possibly remain vegan and travel and whether it is limiting, I will tell them that the next time they visit Manchester they should find The Greenhouse.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Full Menu Manchester Vegan
Cons: A little difficult to see

The Greenhouse - The most amazing place to eat

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2007

The Greenhouse is the most amazing restaurant. It is unique in that everytime you go you get a personal service and attention that you just don't find elsewhere. The menu is just about the broadest menu that I have ever seen in a restaruant and everything that I have tasted from the menu has been superb. The choice is huge. THe portions are fabulous. The tastes and flavours and amazing. There is something for everyone - the meat eater, the veggie, the vegan, the lactose intolerant. You name it and Robyn will do his best to work with it - and we have tested this out before :). If you are in Manchester or can get to Manchester then the Greenhouse is the place for a relaxed lunch or evening out and it can be complemented with the wonderous range of alcaholic and non alcaholic drinks. If you haven't been there - its time to try. Dont be put off by the unasuming frontage because inside is a gem that isn't replicated anywhere in the UK to the best of my knowledge.

Pros: superb food, amazing choice, homely atmosphere
Stevie
Stevie

The Greenhouse, Manchester

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

I've eaten here a couple of times and enjoyed the vegan offerings available. As someone who doesn't live in Manchester who has chosen a non car owning lifestyle the Greenhouse being located outside the city centre it isn't the easiest place to get to.

Pros: Vegan offerings
Cons: Non city centre location

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Greenhouse - Rusholme: