The Green Valley

Certified organic vegetarian (mostly vegan) restaurant inside the Lancrigg Hotel. Open to non hotel guests for lunch and evening meals. Serves freshly made food, cakes, some organic ingredients, extensive organic wines. Will accommodate special diets and requests. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, English

First Review by marcstevens
SecretSnackeress
SecretSnackeress

Good but not the best

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

A restaurant in an old style with chandeliers and a relaxing music in the background. My starter, root vegetable rosti, wasn't as crispy as I expected but on the other hand it was quite thick. The main turned out to be a good combination of tastes and textures: mushroom and Brazil nuts roulade served on a potato and celeriac mash with onion gravy, red cabbage with raisins and roasted vegetables. Large dessert - chocolate and toffi sundae.
Polite waiters, although they looked a bit nervous and gawky, probably because their first language was not English, and they occasionally struggled to communicate. Expensive wine - £20 per a bottle. For a modern style fine dining I think I'd rather come back to a different place with a full vegetarian menu - The Cottage in the Wood (restaurant) in Keswick.

Kirsh
Kirsh

The Green Valley Restaurant, near Grasmere

4 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

A really nice restaurant in the Lancrigg Hotel. A little expensive, but top quality food and enjoyable atmosphere.
The road to the hotel is not easy to navigate, as it is not all paved, but the hotel is well signposted.

Pros: Good food, Lovely atmosphere, Very friendly staff
Cons: Difficult to find, A little expensive
Marked
Marked

Vegan Fish & Chips

3 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

The Lake District as a whole is quite a tricky place to find decent places to eat as a vegetarian, this makes those places that you do come across all the more inviting.
The Green Valley is a good vegetarian restaurant in a good setting with amazing views. You will need a car to get there though, unless you decide to stay at the hotel.
The menu is interesting and the range of wines and beers is better than most.
We enjoyed the vegan 'fish & chips' but were disappointed with the size and quality of the pizza.
Overall we would recommend the restaurant to anyone staying in the Lake District.

Pros: Vegan fish & chips very good, marked wines as vegetarian/vegan, The views and setting
Cons: Bit pricey , Pizza
VeggieHK
VeggieHK

Expensive rip-off

2 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

Went to the restaurant for lunch, not realising they have a limited menu. However, we stayed and ordered, my partner ordering a nice homemade soup and I opted for Cumbrian rarebit. Soup was good, rarebit was passable, but for the price charged was incredibly poor value £6.95 for one thin slice of shop-bought granary bread and a thin smattering of cheese and mustard. It would've represented bad value as a childs portion, never mind an adult. Surely a basic requirement of any cafe or restaurant is that a customer doesn't leave hungry - I had to go and buy a sandwich straight afterwards. Not wanting to just complain anonymously on here after the event, I made a point of politely letting them.know that I was shocked at what I was served, but all I was told.was that the chefs were changing shifts when I ordered, and that I should return in the evening as the portions were big - I politely told them I wouldn't be returning.

Pros: Nice location
Cons: Very poor value, Tiny portions, Expensive
hungryveg
hungryveg

Great Food

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2012

My husband and I have been here twice and the food was excellent both times. The first time we stayed in the hotel but chose to stay in alternate hotel as we found it too old fashioned and expensive for what it was. Back to the restaurant though, the atmosphere is great and good choice of food on menu. I would return again but not stay unless refurbished.

Pros: lovely food, nice location, elegant and intimate dining room
Cons: hotel rooms need modernising

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Very special!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

Fantastic! A very special gourmet experience. 90 percent of the menu is vegan or vegan option, clearly marked. Also plenty of gluten free options. We had the lemon pumpkin and cashew tart with coconut sauce, and the lentil cottage pie. Both were utterly delectable. Also offered a large range of divine vegan desserts. The atmosphere was peaceful and the workers friendly. Highly recommended. The restaurant is down a long driveway a fair way down Easedale Rd.

Pros: 90 percent vegan or vegan option, Delectable gourmet food
Glen33
Glen33

Great little restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

I stayed with my wife at the Lancrigg hotel for 3 nights very recently, and one of the many excellent things about it was the fabulous food on offer at the hotel's Green Valley restaurant, which welcomes non residents. I didn't feel any desire to go out dining elsewhere. All the meals were very tasty, really varied and cooked from good organic ingredients. Though I am not a vegan, the vegan dishes were so appealing I had several anyway, and would not hesitate to recommend this place to vegans looking for great eating. The staff were very friendly, which helped make an enjoyable atmosphere, and to top it all off, the setting is just beautiful. Perfect for a scenic walk to build up an appetite or walk off that sweet course you couldn't resist !

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
moniquez
moniquez

Delicious!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2010

The Green Valley restaurant is part of the small hotel Lancrigg, but it's open for everyone. We have stayed in this hotel for six nights. Before we arrived we thought about having some dinners outdoors, but after seeing (and eating) we decided to stay there for dinner every evening. It was so hard to choose what to eat, that we needed all of our evenings to try it all, anyway. All of the dishes are fabulous!
The dishes are vegetarian, but most of them are also suitable for vegans (or can be adjusted). They have a great selection of vegetarian organic wines and also organic liqueurs.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
sangeet
sangeet

Stunning location/unrivalled veg/gf dining options

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

My partner and I were blown away by the beautiful location of this restaurant / hotel. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, ready to go for a stroll but whilst enjoying a delightful spot of tea in the gardens of the hotel, we were enjoying the atmosphere and views so much that we couldn't drag ourselves away! The evening meal in the Green Valley restaurant was lovely - plenty of options and pretty much every dish had a vegan option with a number of dishes having a gluten free option. The only down side was that they seemed to be short of gluten free bread which was disappointing for a place that is supposed to be geared to cater for those on a gluten free diet. Also, would be great if they would indicate on the menu which dishes contain egg (useful for lacto-vegetarians) as we were constantly having to ask the waitresses and sometimes were not convinced by the unsure answer! Overall, well worth a visit though it is not cheap!

Pros: location, choice, atmosphere
Cons: quite expensive
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Absolutely excellent cuisne

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

Phenomenal food in a beautiful location, unusual dishes changing frequently, served gourmet style in a wonderful old homely high-range hotel. Every course was sublime. Friendly staff, comfortable dining room- we came back every night we could. Given what else for Veggies' is on offer in the Lake Disrtict, it would be a crime not to visit the Lancrigg. One warning- phone ahead- opening hours are scant and tend to vary.

Pros: Gourmet food, Location, Ambience
Cons: Opening hours
jretaylor
jretaylor

Another divine weekend in the country

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2008

once again i have returned refreshed and happy after a weekend at the Lancrigg hotel in Grasmere. each time i go they seem to pull off the impossible feat of improving the food. this time i looked at the new menu and thought 'that's a bit steep' (still far cheaper than anything edible in my native leeds) and by the end of the meal realised i'd had a unique bargain. the presentation is now to gourmet standards and the increased range of vegan and gluten free options without peer. the staff - who were all new since my last visit - were charming, efficient and personalble and the Wittington's hospitlity as always, was warm and generous. The hotel was peaceful and the easedale valley as beautiful as the autumn can be. In short, I left a very happy man - would reccomend this to anyone

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, exquisite location
Mimi
Mimi

Lacklustre & Languid

2 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2008

As we arrived for lunch a member of staff came down the stairs and asked what we wanted. Her reply, 'I don't know anything about lunches, I'll find someone.' Someone came, we asked if we could bring our dog in, 'I don't know, I'll ask.' Time ticked by so we went to settle outside. The food arrived eventually, but was cold, so had to be sent back. We were given a pot of tea on the house while we waited which was very nice. When the food returned, we were actually given the wrong plates back, so we swapped. Food was okay. We did want a dessert, and had said we would order after our main. After finishing our meal and waiting a further 35 minutes, we decided to give up hoping our order would be taken, and went inside to settle up. The person who waited was polite. The place was not busy, we were the first when we arrived. Then two other parties. Even though the waitress came out to take orders from the two other tables, she didn't come to us, although she had to walk past, neither did she clear. It was after this that we waited a bit longer and hoped that she would reappear so that we could order our dessert - but it was not to be. Fanastic setting. But with average food and indifferent staff it is not somewhere I would take people. As a vegan I really want veggie catering to be great - so I am much more tolerant and forgiving then I would be in a conventional place, because I want to find places I can take non-veggies. But cold food, very slow service and a lack of proffessionalism and energy means that I would hesitate to return here.

Pros: Fantastic Setting, Great Views, Cater for Vegans
Cons: Average Food, Slow Service, Indifferent Staff
Alyson
Alyson

Fabulous

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2008

Somewhere to go for that luxury dinner! My partner and I ate here for one evening, whilst staying in the area. We arrived by public transport in the village and it's a very pleasant 10-15 minute walk to the house along small country lanes. Once at the house the owner was extremely friendly and we settled in to the lounge with a drink and looked over the menu. I think about 80% of it was vegan, and it was very hard to decide what to have as it all sounded so great. We ate early in the evening, and the dining room was getting full later, and this was not during peak tourist season so I would suggest you book in advance. The food was all fabulous, lots of flavours and well presented. The majority of the drinks are vegan too, and all are vegetarian. A three course meal costs about £25, not including any drinks you have. The view from the dining room window across the fells was fabulous in the evening sunset.

Pros: lots of vegan food, lovely staff, great flavour
Cons: more expensive than some places
  • Alyson Alyson

I mean it's £25 per person.

alansmith100
alansmith100

Just Bliss

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2007

I have stayed in many hotels over the years and B&B's but never in a hotel that has been 100% veggie, the place is amazing the building is gradually being renovated so some of the rooms' look a little tired but the majority are wonderful, with stunning views. The staff are always warm and welcoming, there are great walk to be had straight from the door and you will need them after eating the fantastic food. The breakfasts are very substantial so a very light lunch is called for when you are out and about. The evening meals are served in a very grand dining room and if you are there is winter they light a lovely fire in the lounge. The food is ever changing and this means you can always look forward to something different when you return again and again which you will want to do like my wife and I have. We have just book for Christmas this year and will report back to let people know how it went.
The only down side I can think of is that its not nearer to my home and it isn't cheap but then neither is the 5*star food and service.

Pros: Creative cooking, fantastic views, wonderfull rooms
Cons: I have to save up to go
marcstevens
marcstevens

Wow!

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2007

In hindsight I wish we'd stayed at this hotel - the vastly increased cost would have been worth every penny. Although tricky to locate it's worth the search and the views, surroundings and food are all superb. Am already wondering when I can stay there for a week instead of a one-off evening meal. Great selection of vegan booze as well as delicious and well presented food. Quietly classy dining room, and beautiful decor inside complimenting the stunning scenary outside. However I wonder if the other diners could feel my waves of jealousy that they were staying overnight and we were just passing through...?

Pros: Classy country house, Delicious food, Great views
Cons: Tricky to find, You'll want to stay, Expensive (but worth it)

Dear Owner and Manager of The Green Valley: