A beautiful, open-air garden cafe in the South Bay that's decorated in colorful Asian and Indian themes. Menu features healthy salads, sandwiches, entrees, Mexican specialties, and herbal teas; desserts available (just ask). Highlights include the hearty loafs, savoury gold potatoes, and organic dressings. Friendly service. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Take-out
1700 S Catalina Ave (Avenue I, off Pacific Coast Hwy)
Redondo Beach, California 90277
310-944-4525

Tue-Sat 11:00am-4:00pm, Tue-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

First Review by jcpenick

Relaxing and comfortable dining

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2015

This beautiful, eclectic, and peaceful place is enchanting. Although it was a little hard to find even with google maps and then two different smart phones using their navigation. I recommend sitting next to the fountain as we did. It was one of those dining experiences that makes you feel centered after visiting. Along with the relaxing fountain with live gold fish, there is assorted meditating Budhas, South Asian style embroidered pillows, burnt orange sponge painted walls, mosaic tile bistro tables, wooden peacocks three dimensionally carved partition screens, and Sedona mixed chairs and benches.

We order the Veggie Quesodilla as an appetizer. At first we missed the cheese, but then enjoyed the balanced flavors of stewed vegetables in a grilled hearty tortilla. I had mentioned to them that it was a little more accurately a grilled veggie wrap. After which I ordered the White Lasagna and my fried got the Babamut. At first, was disappointed that there was no pasta in the lasagna, but I quickly began to appreciate that the lasagna was more like a souffle or quiche covered with an Alfredo sauce. Unfortunately, unlike other dishes on the menu, this selection is not available in a "junior size" as the Babamut is. A little under seasoned, The Babamut's redeeming quality is its sweet corn.

If you're in the Redondo Beach area, this is definitely worth visiting.

Veg out,

www.VeggieArmy.ccom

ASomerville
ASomerville

Very Good

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2015

Good meal in a nice, quiet atmosphere. Friendly service.

Pros: Food quality and quantity
redharry3
redharry3

Excellent all the way around

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

Everything about this place was wonderful. Servers were friendly and knowledgable, menu is creative with lots of choices and the ambience perfect! Go veggie!

Pros: Creativity, Location, Service

kat_436
kat_436

ok food, service ugh

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

This restaurant has good veggie food and the ambience is very nice if you ignore the actual staff. I came in by myself an entire hour before they closed - was told in no uncertain terms they closed in an hour and did I still want to eat? Well depends on you - shouldn't take a single person more than an hour to eat unless you are super slow. Just really left a sour note to my meal - I felt pressured to eat and get out. I tried again to give them the benefit of the doubt but not near closing time - they just give off this pretentious not welcoming vibe. [edit by staff]

Pros: Food is good, Ambience
Cons: Pretentious and unwelcoming staff
m.rose
m.rose

Mixed review

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2014

The patio is charming, i much prefer to eat out there than inside. The food is pretty good; everything down to the ketchup tastes healthy. The salads are fresh, I'm a fan of sunflower sprouts, which they have. My daughter liked the veggie burger. The soups and the rice, bean and veggie bowls are just okay, I find them a little bland... But I won't be back any time soon, the wait staff was so unfriendly and unaccommodating the last time i was there. They acted put-out when I asked for menus, when I asked to substitute one salad item for another they said they don't do that; how easy is it to have a "no problem" policy when it comes to that kinda thing when I'm spending $40.00 on lunch. Also, they wouldn't let my daughter and I sit at the only remaining patio table (4 person table) i assume because there was two of us. So we ate inside, by the way no party of 4 came to occupy that 4 person table the whole time we were there.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 22, 2014

unperrodesuerte
unperrodesuerte

My favorite in Redondo

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

What a delicious place to enjoy vegan/vegetarian dishes. The closeness of the ocean adds to the funky, quiet atmosphere. The staff is attentive, and eager to answer any questions about the menu.

If your choice of foods is plant based the menu offers many choices. They do have eggs, real cheese, and butter for those that are open to those choices.

Pros: Quiet atmosphere. Perfect for a date., Junior sized portions available., Close to the beach.
Cons: Can get crowded with beach traffic on weekend, Unisex bathroom. (Very clean), No salt and pepper on the tables.
Chia
Chia

Beautiful Place Good Food

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my The Green Temple review.

Stepping into the Green Temple is like stepping into a garden paradise. Everywhere you look, you see something beautiful, from mosaic tile-top tables and Indian tapestries to stone buddha statues, colorful plants, a water fountain, and people enjoying themselves.

The menu is extensive and varied. We decided on two entrees: The Blue Plate and the Broccoli Loaf. The first consisted of a house-made veggie patty and mashed potatoes both generously covered in a rich mushroom gravy accompanied by steamed broccoli. The second entree was a tenderly baked Broccoli Loaf served with organic black beans, steamed greens, and a creamy dressing. Both entrees were very delicious, flavorful, and filling. The entrees also came with a choice of salad or soup. We chose the salad + an organic house-made tahini dressing, and that was yummy, too.

Although we didn't stay for tea, The Green Temple offers an extensive herbal tea menu which is perfect for a relaxing afternoon hang-out.

Highly recommended.

Pros: delicious food, friendly service, good value
gracerehaut
gracerehaut

One of my favorite spots!

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2012

Green Temple in Redondo Beach is one of my favorite vegetarian staple restaurants. I go there at least once a week and it never gets old. The creamed tofu sauce, their specialty, sounds weird but is eerily delicious, as is all the rest of their food. Watch out for a few rare entrees, though, because not everything is as amazing.
The ambiance is great - a beautiful outdoor wonderland with a fountain and candles. The waiters are great too. They're all extremely friendly (and very cute!).

Pros: creamed tofu sauce, friendly staff, delicious!
Cons: none
Organic Girl
Organic Girl
  • non-vegetarian

Green Temple Redondo Beach - Simply Delicious

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

Wow! Did I enjoy my meal @ The Green Temple? Yes, I did, and so did all of my friends. We came in hungry and left totally full. The serving sizes are very ample. The White Lasagna was so yummy and so was the Walnut Loaf. The desserts are incredible. You can't go wrong with any of them. The service was fantastic, our server, John was so friendly and polite. He knows the menu backwards and forwards. I live in northern CA, otherwise they would see my Happy Face often if I lived in the area! The sign outside on the street was small, but it was dark and rainy that night, so it could have just been me. It's near Avenue I on the east side of Catalina. The ambiance was wonderful, too. We wandered around their building looking at their patio tables with heaters and wonderful decor. We all had a great time. Thanks to the Green Temple Crew!

Pros: great food, great atmosphere , friendly staff
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

my new favorite place to eat! quintessential cali

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

If you are looking for the quintessential southern california vegetarian spot, look no further! I can't believe I haven't eaten here before. The menu is amazing, heathy mex, pita, salads, mostly organic, light and based on veggies! The atmosphere is a wonderful indoor outdoor eclectic blend of good karma. The serive is unbelievable attentive and poliet! I believe you can call ahead and reserve a table, its incredibly popular and you'll want an indoor or next to heater spot on a windy day. I wish all vegetarian restaurants were like Green Temple. Healthy veg is still alive and well here!

Pros: savory burrito, vegan soups, fun atmosphere
jamber79
jamber79

Nice place

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2011

This was a very cute little restaurant wth nice ambience. There are some tables inside, but it looked like most of the seating was on the patio which looked very nice. The food was good. I liked that a lot of the choices were organic and made with whole grains. The tosdatidas were very tasty, only would have been better if the beans were refried or mashed because it was very messy with nothing to make it stick together. Had potato soup that was very good. The spicy corn soup was just ok, pretty bland. My favorite part was the brown rice with creamy sauce on top that came with the tostaditas, so yummy! Everything was a little pricy, you do get a lot of food, but overall a little out of my budget.

Pros: Ambience
Cons: Price
abqtraveler
abqtraveler

Can't say enough good things.

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2011

What a relaxing, peaceful setting with plenty of outdoor seating. Wonderful, friendly staff. Great food and good portions at reasonable prices especially for a beach setting. We walked from the pier. You can either walk along the beach path or take the sidewalk overlooking the ocean if you choose. Both are a good walk, but well worth it. Ask any local where to find the "Village". They'll direct you.
Be sure to order something with the tofu sauce that comes on some salads and sandwiches. Don't let the name fool you. It's awesome! Too bad they don't serve it with a straw!

Pros: Peaceful setting, Friendly staff, Reasonable prices
theplantrx.com
theplantrx.com

Simple and Good

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2011

I am a fan of simple, good food. Not overdone or extremely fancy... nor of trying to make vegan food like it's meat counterparts. I love how they do this and they do it well. =)

Pros: great food, excellent service, great prices

Heart of Riviera Village

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2010

The Green Temple is a very good vetetarian restaurant with vegan alternatives. My daughters took my wife and I here on my sixtieth birthday. what a great treat!

Pros: Excellent food, large protions, great atmosphere
THEMOVIERAD
THEMOVIERAD

Saturday Morning Brunch

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2009

I highly recommend their Saturday Morning Brunch which is the only time you can get the fruit bowl with macadamia nut cream (vegan). It is very unique and tasty. If you can't make the brunch I say try the savory wrap. The creamy tofu sauce is so tasty it's unreal. The service has always been great and the owner seems genuine. The atmosphere is also tranquil. A fun place to enjoy some great food!

Pros: Savory Wrap, Friendly Staff, Saturday Brunch
VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Always hot, always fresh. Avoid cheese dishes.

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2009

I've been a GT regular for a few years and I really like the food and wait staff. I have nothing really to add to the existing positive reviews.

Important - and shocking - note: a few weeks ago I went to the GT and their special was a "vegetarian" lasagna. OK, cheese, fine. Also listed on the special's ingredients list is "parmesan cheese." Uh...huh? ALL Parmesan cheese contains rennet which is definitely NOT vegetarian in any way, shape, or form. I needled the server about this and she was totally clueless. Of course I followed on by asking about the ingredients in their other cheeses and she couldn't answer the question. Naturally I was not thrilled, so caveat emptor. If you're a very careful vegetarian like I am you'll avoid any GT dishes that contain cheese.

Illiniry
Illiniry
  • non-vegetarian

Harmony never tasted so good

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

The Green Temple is an excellent choice for anyone that wishes to eat healthy without compromising taste and variety. I have explored much of the menu and have been more than satisfied with almost all dishes. The Savory Gold and Tostaditas are among my favorites. The soups change frequently and are never overly salty. Also ask about the specials of the day. The restaurant itself is cozy and peacefully set in a tucked away corner of the Riviera Village. I typically order my food to-go, but when I dine-in, I always find a table in the back outdoor patio.

Pros: Unique menu, Healthy, Jr portions available
Cons: Slow dine-in service, closed Mondays
skymonkey
skymonkey

beautiful restaurant

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2008

the tranquil garden-like setting is definitely the best part about the restaurant. it is a beautiful place to have a pleasant meal and conversation. the food was good, but not exceptional. from previous reviews, the service seems to be hit and miss. we found the service to be quite good, as it wasn't too busy at the time.

Guest1
Guest1

Food and Environment is Great,

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2008

I just read the review where some customers were treated badly. The food at Green Temple is terrific, the decor nirvanic, the service...lol, very independent. I am a caucasion female and a fairly regular customer. Last year during the holidays I arrived with my party 15 minutes prior to closing (I didn't realize this) and they refused to serve us. Frankly, they were rude about our having sat ourselves down. Being a very independent person, myself, I've learned to overlook the occasionally cranky waiters and simply enjoy everything else. Particularly since I've had lovely conversations on other occasions from the same cranky waiters. Food not to miss: Blue Plate Special (watch out for the dairy enzymes in the homemade veggie patty), Bowl of Green, and Veggie Steamer (the last two for the yummy tofu sauce alone!)

Pros: Beach location, Yummy, healthy food non-vegans will love, Gorgeous decor
Cons: Moody wait-staff
ben rand
ben rand
  • raw

limited menu

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2007

I get the sense that if you are not "cool," by the definition of the Green Temple, the service you get is pretty shabby. Not just my opinion--several friends that patronized this establishment when they visited me had the same experience. I guess the East Indian decor, etc. is for show only. The treatment meted out is not ethnic=friendly.

happy veggie
happy veggie

Green Temple Rocks

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2007

The trip by itself may be worth it. The beach in Catalina was beautiful...when you can see it. We spotted a public area and stayed there for about an hour. After we had our fill of the ocean air, we went looking for Green Temple, we found it ensconced in a forest of condos and chic beauty shops and streets lined with palm trees manicured to the exact height and shape.

The restaurant is mostly an outdoor courtyard sectioned here and there with a small water fountain in the middle. That's correct, it is all outdoors, but it's very nicely covered. You do not feel cramped at all, but I imagine that the place will only sit about 40 people. Take a sweater or sweatshirt. The sea breeze can be brisk. The place reminded me of the courtyard of Kalachandji's, the vegetarian Hare Krishna restaurant in Dallas.

The "decor", what little there is of it, touches upon Indian themes, which makes me suspect that the owner, clearly British, is steeped in Eastern philosophy. His website talks about organic farming, sustainability, and helping local farmers. I love this "big picture" take. Many vegetarians, like me, are ethical vegetarians. We do it to promote animal rights and environmental sustainability. And, thus, we seek out vegetarian cuisine. But many restaurants that offer vegetarian food are not of like mind or spirt. They may be offshoots of a big corporations or they offer their foods with an attitude.
This place exudes peace.

Once we had a table, the service was wonderful (our waiter, a former surfer, was patient, polite, and smiling) and the food came in quick succession.

We dined here three nights in a row and each night the food was dreamy. There was a different house special each night, and we sample a couple. I would have to rank the following as our favorites: the enchiladas (My mom is Mexican, and I can't even approximate the sauce), the salads (all were generous and fresh, even the Sproutada), the burgers (homemade and with the consistency of a thick, moist cooky and with the slight taste of nuts), and dessert (a heavenly thick macademia nut cake/pie with chocolate and coconut topping). There is a ubiquitous tofu sauce that comes with just about everything. My wife and I liked it, but not our daughter.

Pros: Food and Ambiance, Owner/Wait Staff, Environmental Sustainability
Cons: Sometime Long Wait, Hard to Tell Seating policy
JenniferF
JenniferF

Still think about it in NYC

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2007

Went to Green Temple on a visit to CA - I actually looked it up on Happy Cow before going. Lovely spot and seemed really peaceful, food was great. If I lived there I would definitely be a regular. Big portions and one of the dressings/sauces is among the best I've ever had. Shockingly clean bathroom.

Pros: great food, good selection/variety, atmosphere

Great food, bad service.

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2007

I can walk to this place, am veg., and avoid going here like the plague. I'll order takeout, in fact, I have their number programmed into my cell phone, but the service is bad every time I go there. If the place is busy, forget getting your food in a decent amount of time, expect attitude if you ask for something, especially getting a refill on your water or iced tea (jamaica, which is really good stuff). I like the sproutada, although I've never had anything bad from there, I am always disappointed when I don't order the sproutada. Save yourself the hassle and get it to go, though.

Pros: Great food
Cons: A little pricey, Terrible Service
jcpenick
jcpenick

A sanctuary in Redondo

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2007

I've been going to the Green Temple with my family for years. The staff knows just how to make you feel comfortable and the food is delicious. In times of greatest sorrow they have been a comfort. In times of joy they've been there to laugh with you. I can't say more than what other reviews have already said. Please visit for yourself. The food is excellent. The atmosphere is happy and healing. You will leave refreshed, recharged, and renewed.

Pros: Vegan friendly, delicious, healthy food, relaxing atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of The Green Temple:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Redondo Beach page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/07/05