Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is around 90% vegetarian with a few non-veg dishes. Offers weekly changing menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Location is in the Cais do Sodre district of downtown Lisbon, close to the river and a short walk from the metro and train station. English spoken. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, Portugese, Juice bar, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Rua do Cais do Sodre 16, Lisboa
Lisbon, Portugal 1200-450
+351-917002717

Open Mon-Tue, Thur 12:00-23:00, Wed 12:00-01:00, Fri-Sat 10:00-01:00, Sun 10:00-22:00.

• Cash only

First Review by jamesdeburca
siljebergen
siljebergen

Very good place to be

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

We went to this restaurant (café) at the end of May, around 14:00 on a Thursday. The place was empty except for one other couple, so plenty of space for us. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly here. The menu is on a big blackboard just as you enter, with some extra specialities on a board outside. I am gluten intolerant, but they had gluten free bread for me! I ordered the bean burger, and they told me it contained some breadcrumbs - was this ok? Very good that they asked me! As I can handle a bit of gluten (small portions) I told them it was alright. The burger consisted mainly of rice, and had a lovely avocado "dressing". It was really nice and filled me up. I would definately recommend it. My husband is non-veg and he was satisfied with his non-veg option as well. All in all, we would have gone back if we had the time - good place to be!

Pros: Know about veg*anism, Several options for vegans, Knew about gluten intolerance
Miguel eat the fruit
Miguel eat the fruit

Good Stuff!

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2014

Everytime i eat here im delighted with a festival of colour (on the plate) and variety of rich tastes.
there is always something new to try and the price is pretty decent.
good Music and the people are really cool and helpfull...
keeps me coming back.
and Yes! the mixed fresh fruit juices...always want to ask them to make pitchers of it!

jamesrick
jamesrick

Great place! Delicious salad and vegetarian burger

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

After searching around online, we just walked 15 minutes to get there, WORTH IT. Nice folks and they were working on a Sunday!

Pros: Good food, quality ingredients, Good price
Cons: Not as close to where we are, Out of Vegan cake!

FamkeVeenstra
FamkeVeenstra

Great place, great food

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

I spent a week in Lisbon recently en been to the Green Room twice. It's a great place with delicious vegetarian and egan food. Dinner is very affordable (e8,50 for three different tapas). I liked the atmosphere a lot.
If I go back to Lisbon, I will absolutely go back to the Green Room as well.

Pros: Food, Price, Atmosphere
Cons: non
AnnaBellaBeacroft
AnnaBellaBeacroft

Great for Herbivores and Carnivores

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2013

I've been here a few times now over the past months and it's a great place with really nice food. It's quite easy to find good veggie/vegan food in Lisbon but finding somewhere to eat out with friends who want to eat meat is pretty tough. But the green room has definitely solved this issue. Majority veggie food but with a number of meat options. All the food so far has been wonderful! It's a really nice atmosphere too and on Wednesday evenings they host the couchsurfing meetings if you're looking to meet locals and other travellers (long and short term). Tapas is 3 dishes for 8.50 and main courses are around 9.50. House wine is 2 euros a glass. Also they've just started doing Roast Dinner on Sundays :)

Pros: Everything
Cons: A bit expensive, but worth it
Mexicola
Mexicola

The best dinner I had in Lisboa

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

In Lisbao I stayed for one week. In this week I ate almost every day at another place. The last day I was at the green room and I must say that this dinner was the best I had in this week. I had a vegan salad with grilled vegetables, my husband had a vegan curry which also was incredibly delicious!

We enjoyed the green room a lot and wished we had discovered it some days before to eat there at least a second time.

The restaurant itself is also really, nice especially the restroom. The staff was also really kind.

hack_man
hack_man

Cool and Hip

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

Really liked this place, it's casual and non-pretentious with a cool vibe and atmosphere. We had vegan pizza which was served with delicious chunky potato chips and a basic salad for €7.50 plus a couple of bottles of coke for €2 each. OK, it wasn't the best food I've ever had but I can imagine some of the other offerings being tastier and more rewarding. To be honest, we needed a quick feed after travelling all day and wanting to get to the Irish bar next door for the football so the whole experience was pretty rushed. The outdoor seating is fabulous and the location close to the riverside is quite impressive. I am very sure I would come back here to sample the evening and night time atmosphere but there are many 100% vegetarian places in Lisbon that I need to check out first. I'm giving 4 cows based on the vibe, location and cool atmposphere.

Pros: location, atmosphere, friendly
Cons: serves some meat options
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Excellent, but could use more vegan offerings.

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

We arrived here at 11:45 am on a Monday and were pleasantly surprised to find out they were already open and we didn't have to wait around 15 minutes. They were out of vegan pizza (that is if you skip the goat cheese), and the vegan offerings were basically green salad, cous cous salad, or a platter with hummus, tapanade and guacamole (skip the goat cheese) with bread and a bit of salad. I opted for the green salad, which turned out to be large enough for a meal: fresh field greens, a homemade olive oil and lemon vinaigrette, with beets, potatoes, tomatoes (I had these left off) apples and strawberries. My salad was simple, but very tasty with everything fresh, perfectly cooked potatoes and excellent flavor balance. The menu says all salad comes with bread, but they forgot and I had to ask for it. The homemade whole grain bread could not have been better!

My friend ordered the hummus, tapanade and guacamole platter and said everything on his plate was excellent and could not have been better. His hummus was so delicious, I helped myself to half of it, and spread it on my bread. Heavenly!

The guy running this place is from Scotland, so English speakers will have no problems here. The staff was quite friendly and helpful.

I would like to have seen more vegan offerings, but the vegan offerings we had were excellent. They also have a vegan cake topped with strawberries, but I was too full to order it.

They sell bottled water here, but do not provide it free.

P.S. No visit to this place is complete without checking out the bathroom floor. I won't spoil the surprise, but the bathroom is a must visit!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly, helpful staff
Cons: Needs more vegan offerings
  • MatthewMcGurn MatthewMcGurn

Many thanks for your review of our restaurant, All feed-back is most welcome.
    I feel that we must clear up some matters with the menu, Apologies for being out of Vegan pizza ( its one of our most popular dishes! )
    We did however, have a fresh vegan pizza made in time for the lunch-time trade which starts at 1pm. I hope you come back to try it! In addition to the vegan pizza we also have a Mexican, soja 5 bean chilli served with brown rice and salad. ( all main courses come with Golden roast potatoes but not bread) though we are happy that you asked for and enjoyed our home-made bread!
    We also provide free water, in fact we are the first, and only, restaurant in Portugal to sign up to the "givemetap" project offering free water to anyone who wants their bottle filling up or of course in the restaurant with their food. We do not like to bully people into buying bottled water and are happy to provide free distilled water to anyone who asks.
    If you are still in Lisboa please pass by and I'd be happy to give you more information regarding our ever-changing menu. We remember your visit and value your custom and feed-back!
    The Green Room

kaspm14
kaspm14

MUST GO!!!

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2012

The food here is AMAZING! If you try this place, you will fall in love. The Green Room Cafe is clean, fun, and everyone is so friendly and welcomes you with a big smile. The food is so good that you will return more than once. My boyfriend and i went as many times as we could. We could not stay away! We would wake up and want to head straight to The Green Room Cafe. My mouth is watering just thinking about their amazing dishes. I wanted to lick my plate clean. All in all... if your in Lisbon this is a MUST! It will make your trip!

The Veg Table
The Veg Table

So good.......we went back 5 times!

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2012

So it was our first visit to Lisboa with young family in tow and I was dubious of finding suitable food for the four of us....
Well we had no need! We stumbled across 'The Green Room' leaving the station after noticing a lovely terrace shaded under a beautiful tree alongside the river.
We sat down and were greeted by very friendly staff who quickly got us up to speed about the various options the cafe had......and options it DOES have!! They even had organic baby food as well as the organic beer and wine!

Basically we could not stay away and managed to sample breakfast, lunch and dinner all of which were to a superb standard!

We as a family could not have hoped to have found such a genuinely quality based and fair priced vegetarian cafe.......anywhere let alone Lisbon!

Many thanks to the owners and staff.

'The Veg Table'

Pros: Quality/options/freshness, Service/time taken, Price!!
TiagoOliveira
TiagoOliveira

one of the coolest veggie restaurants in Lisbon

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

I think that this restaurant should be awarded as the coolest vegetarian restaurant in Lisbon. The place has a really nice and kinda pubish atmosphere and the food is very tasty.

Pros: good value, nice atmosphere
Cons: not 100% vegetarian/vegan
cameronandrebeca
cameronandrebeca
  • non-vegetarian

LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

We first heard about the green room from some friends in amsterdam (no lines to be read between)after mentioning we'd had trouble finding terrific food in Portugal before so we made the trip and it was fantastic! THEY HAVE AÇAI!!! We hadn't had any for years since our trip to brasil and can't wait to go back for more. If you haven't tried açai yet and you're in Lisbon then get to the green room, they've probably the best veggie menu this side of india too! Good luck guys, we'll be back!

Pros: great menu, excellent interior, awesome staff
Cons: the beach is too cold in october!
BramB
BramB

Great restaurant!

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

The Chef who is a great guy from the UK and a vegetarian himself spoke a little horeca Dutch and prepared us a great meal when we visited a couple of weeks ago! Although he put two meat dishes on the menu, "vegetarian-friendly" is a bit misleading as most of the dishes are vegetarian, it should be something like "meat-eater friendly" in my humble opinion...

Pros: Great food, friendly staff, affordable prices
Cons: none
hubgre
hubgre

Best food experience in Lisbon, hands down...

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

Seriously, it was!

So good we went there twice. Went to the Green Room whilst in Lisbon for the weekend visiting friends, then actually went back there again en route to the airport heading home, after a week outside of the city.

The wholesome breakfast ('Big Green') may not be wholly veggie, though hit the spot right on for the day. Tasty and made with love.

The spinach and goats cheese filo pastry meals were amazing too, as were the three bean varieties.

Menu is vast, yet all the food is coming out fresh. A real testament to the team there and their willingness to really go the extra mile... all round. Impeccable and relaxed service, yet intuitive with plenty space to leave you to it..

Highly recommend a bite here if seeking relaxing and wholesome food that's strictly INSIDE the budget... !

Herbalham
Herbalham

Couldn't be happier. Excellent

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2012

My girlfriend and I visited Lisbon for 2 weeks at the of August this year.
We found the green room on our second day and it wall an excellent find.
The food was absolutely perfect. The service was likewise.
We ate in The Green Room every day at least once during our stay and the menu changed slightly a couple of times. Each change brought along a freshly made well presented, well priced, extremely tasty main course.
Though it presents it's self largely as a vegan restaurant, it did have some meet on the menu.
They serve fresh coffee, fruit juices, smoothies and cold beer.
Overall we could not have been happier, when we visit Lisbon again we will certainly visit again to see the staff again and taste the brilliant food.

Pros: Excellent service , Friendly staff, Exceptionally good food
aps101
aps101

Great Food & Wonderful Staff!!! Do not miss!

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

What a find. On Cais du Sodre this is a hidden gem. The menu has quite a few vegan options. The burrito was so much more than just a burrito. And the guacamole, heavenly. They have all kinds of fresh squeezed juices and you can make your own combos if you want. The staff is one of the most helpful. The night before I was flying home I went by to get something to go as a safety in case they didn't have my vegan meal. The cook and waitress were both so helpful and help me pick out what would last the longest, packed things with such care and I couldn't believe how little they charged me. I tried to give them more and they wouldn't hear of it. I need to go back and try the breakfast. There are books you can read, games and great music. Really a special place.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Great Value
TelmoBarradasAlcobia
TelmoBarradasAlcobia

diferent

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

It's the new kind of places that have been popping up in Cais do Sodré, but unlike them is more vegan friendly and a lot cheaper, and that makes all the diference

Pros: prize, variety
Cons: sagres beer
jameslevelle
jameslevelle
  • non-vegetarian

The coolest veggie joint in Lisbon

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2012

The Green Room is blazing a trail as the hippest friendliest tastiest vegetarian restaurant in Portugal's capital.

The food is delicious and it's quite simply an absolute must for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike when visiting Lisbon. You simply won't better this place.

Hats off to pioneering founders Matthew and Leo - thank you for the fine food and hospitality.

Boa sorte!

Pros: Cuisine, Staff, Decor
kvelistruan
kvelistruan

Vegan Haven in Lisbon

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

Found this place on Happy Cow - thanks for the map. We really enjoyed our lunch, friendly staff and owner (Leo). They serve all kinds of meal options but have a few vegan ones. Food was very good and fresh. Check out the bathrooms.

Pros: Helpful Staff, Fresh Food, Local Beers
Cons: Needs more veg & vegan options
jamesdeburca
jamesdeburca

good value friendly staff!

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

We visited the green room today, after been recommended by the owner of bake the difference. The menu was very easy to follow, vegan items clearly labelled, and the staff were very helpful. The food itself was simple but tasty (vegan chilli) with brown rice and salad and very reasonably priced. If your near the river and train station and in need of a vegan meal, then this is the place to go!

Dear Owner and Manager of The Green Room Cafe: