Most of the main entrees are vegetarian versions of traditional meat dishes. Many vegan options, including desserts, marked. Try the soups and the sweet potato fries. Pleasant atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American. Beer/Wine
1970 Atwood Ave (Winnebago St)
Madison, Wisconsin 53704
608-285-5290

Open Tue-Thur 11am-9pm, Fri-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-3pm, closed Mon.

First Review by Boomer
uwgirl
uwgirl

mmm coconut

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

Service was good, dinner was good, dessert was better. Love, love, love the coconut cream pie. Wish the whole menu was vegan.

Rambling Vegans
Rambling Vegans

Wonderful Vegan Options

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

We love to stop at The Green Owl to eat whenever we're near Madison. The staff has always been very friendly and the food is fantastic. They always have at least one type of vegan cheesecake and it's by far one of the best desserts we've ever had. They have a brunch on Sundays that's really good, as well. Really cute decor with owls everywhere and a relaxed atmosphere. A great place! Our only complaint is with about half of the seating in the restaurant. There's one area with tables, which is nice, and during the warm months you can sit outside. However, if you get seated along the front part of the restaurant you'll most likely be sitting right next to other people. It's a bit uncomfortable.

Pros: Delicious Food, Decent Prices, Friendly & Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons: Seating could be much better
SarahBaker
SarahBaker

Rescued Us From a Non-Veg Event!

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

I thought this place was amazing. My boyfriend and I went to a wedding where shredded carrots and iceberg lettuce were the only things to eat, so we went to the Green Owl to stuff our faces.

It is very cute inside. The service was great.

We started off with delicious carrot dill soup and side salad. Our main courses were the Schnitzel and Jackfruit Quesadilla.

The quesadilla was our favorite! We were still hungry and also ordered the BBq jackfruit sandwich which was also really good. Quesadilla was still the best though.

We would have gotten dessert, but my sweetie picked me up some cake from Sticky Fingers in DC. :)

Pros: Great Service, Lots of Vegan options
starlyse
starlyse

one of my favorite restaurants in Madison

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

Great food. Great service. Their specials change everyday, so there's always something new to try. Save room for dessert! They have the best vegan desserts.

Pros: raw options, raw night, dessert
nlukas51
nlukas51

a must visit when in madison

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

i had the pleasure of visiting this awesome establishment two weeks ago on a weekend trip to madison. i started out with the middle eastern platter, the meatball sub as my main dish and for dessert i indulged in the banana cheesecake with chocolate ganache and a berry sauce. everything was outstanding including the folks running the place - super nice people. i highly recommend this place and would definitely go back if i ever end up in madison again.

Pros: great food, great service, good price
Cons: none

MaggiCrawmer
MaggiCrawmer

The Green Owl: A Staple

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

What to say about The Green Owl? Well for starters, it is a bit expensive. Entrees are 9-11 dollars and the portion sizes to differ from item to item. Like the BBQ JACKFRUIT {probably my favorite} is a just a sandwich and a salad {or kale chips}, whereas the Vegan SCHNITZEL is a much larger portion. Granted one is a sandwich and the other an entree. Both are fantastic.
Also, I would like to point out that when I say "smaller portions" what I really mean is smaller than many chain restaurants, because really, these portions are healthy here.
Now if you have a sweet tooth and like coconut, I HIGHLY recommend the coconut cream pie. Oh, so good!! And any of the cheesecakes are fantastic.

I am VEGAN and GLUTEN FREE and they offer plenty of options, just ask for a separate Gluten-Free menu.

Jennie Capellaro, the Owner is fantastic! She's so sweet and loves talking to everyone. She's always there, usually up in front, so start chattin away!

Pros: Great tasting vegan, gluten-free options, Great Desserts!, Friendly staff
Cons: A little expensive, Smaller portions
SHEN67
SHEN67

Great night out

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2013

Went last night and had awesome service and awesome food. Love this place. Can't wait to take my mom when she visits next month.

ndfellows
ndfellows

Absolutely Fantastic!

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

I have been here twice now and both times were very excellent. The first time I had the vegan French Toast and the second time I had the BBQ Jackfruit sandwich and a Mango Cheesecake. Both times the food was very delicious. The cheesecake was the best one I have ever had.

Pros: excellent food, great value, very friendly staff
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Charming Veg Restaurant and Tasty Food

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

My husband and I visited the Green Owl twice while visiting Madison, and I was very pleased both times. I had the vegan schnitzel with porcini mushroom gravy, and then the crabby cake po boy (both super tasty, especially the po boy). What really stood out however, was the Italian beef sandwich that my husband ordered both time, that was made with seitan and giardiniera and really good. If I am ever in the area again, I would probably order that.
We also split a choc. mint vegan cheesecake that was delicious (all of their desserts were vegan), and I tried their house cocktail of locally made kombucha and vodka. They seem to have several kombucha flavors each day; I tried the ginger and the blackberry. Both were very good.
I highly recommend this restaurant if you are a vegetarian and in Madison.

Pros: Large vegetarian menu, Vegan desserts, Very tasty food
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Best veg food in all of Wisconsin!

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I visited the Green Owl twice while in Madison, once by myself I sat at the counter sipping their delicious home made lemonade and eating a fabulous macro bowl and then again when I brought back my entire family after a wedding. There is indoor and outdoor seating and they staff is so accommodating (I couldn't believe how well they handled my nonveg family!) The macro bowl is exactly what I needed and they did it w/o oil specially for me! The decor is modern and spiffy and there are plenty of ceramic owls to go around! Don't pass this up, they serve breakfast, too!!!

Pros: healthy food, lemonade, kind staff
Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

Awesome!

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

I saw this place on Happycow and stopped here on our way back from the Dells to Michigan. How awesome. Madison is lucky. My girlfriend and I split an Italian "beef" sandwich and it was awesome. Spicy. Delicious. Fun place. The wait staff was super nice and we even got to chat with the owner for a few minutes. Very down to earth people. That was my first time in Madison and already want to go back just for another sandwich.

Pros: wonderful food, wonderful staff
Regwag2003
Regwag2003

Great Place to Eat in Madison

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

The food at the Green Owl is always great, and most of it is, or can be made, vegan. If you eat there, try one of their desserts, they are absolutely heavenly, and they are almost always all vegan. I have been there with omnivores who loved the food as well, especially the Schnitzel. The Green Owl is always worth a visit!

Pros: Excellent Food, Atmosphere, Friendly Staff
slocumkaroff
slocumkaroff

Awesome Find

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

As vegetarians who can't eat gluten or dairy, finding restaurants with tasty options is always a challenge. Green Owl has been a god-send in that way. While the options that meet our needs are a bit limited, what they do have isn't an anemic compromise of an item already on their menu. For example, the gluten free sandwiches are not just the fillings served on lettuce instead of bread! (Sleezey trick used by many restaurants to claim gluten-free options). Green Owl has become a regular for us.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Great portion sizes
Cons: Need more menu options for gluten free
socalgal
socalgal

Great food, great atmosphere

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

I'm in town for business and drove across town to try this place which came recommended by a few locals. I was not disappointed! I had the vegan schnitzel with mushroom gravy, broccoli and roasted potatoes, with an appetizer of kale chips, and creamy broccoli soup. The chocolate lava cake was fantastic. My colleague had never eaten vegan food and agreed to come as an adventures. She had the "chicken" parmesan, and loved it-- we may have a convert on our hands! The service was great, the place had a nice, quiet, casual but classy ambience. I would recommend reservations though, it was pretty full when we arrived at 6:30pm. Kudos to The Green Owl Cafe!

PaulOfTheNorth
PaulOfTheNorth

Worth Supporting!

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2011

We recently ate at Green Owl for the first time and really enjoyed it. I had a Crabby Cake Po'Boy which was quite tasty. My two fellow diners both had a grilled cheese with apple (sandwich of the day), which they both gave rave reviews on for flavor. Kale crisps on the side were light and tasty, not over-seasoned, and a bottle of local beer hit the spot as well. The soy cheesecake for dessert was amazing - good fruit flavor complementing the soy cheese and cream layers (I've sometimes had soy cheesecake that has a strong chalky taste, but this did not - very good end to a fine meal. I'm generally put off when the menu features what appears to be meat substitutes, but Green Owl makes their selections stand on their own, and we all agreed we really enjoyed our meal.

Pros: Tasty food across the board, Friendly waitstaff, Dynamite dessert
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

The Green Owl Cafe

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2011

Green Owl Café appeared to be THE place to go to in Madison, and that it is. The space is cozy and adorable; the staff was very pleasant too. Our waitress recommended both the vegan wiener schnitzel and the crab cake po' boy sandwich, so that's what we went with. The food was presented nicely and looked tasty. The schnitzel came with vegan broccoli cheddar soup that I didn't care for, as it had a strange taste; it also came with roasted potatoes and broccoli, both items were really good. The schnitzel was made of the same soy product used in most fake chicken dishes - had I known this I would not have ordered this dish, as I don't care for the stringy fake chicken, but many people like it. Overall I'd give the schnitzel and average rating, as the sauce atop of it was uninspiring as well. The sandwich was great and warrants 4 cows alone - I only had a few bites of it so I can't comment on it fully. I'd definitely try Green Owl again.

Gina Simmons
Gina Simmons

AMA-ZING!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2011

I drive across the country several times a year for work and found this place on happycow...it was AMAZING! For a vegan gal like me they had anything you could ever dream of and more! I shared a crab-cake, friend had the non-chicken Parmesan and I had enpanadas, they were both the stuff dreams are made of...not to mention the coconut cream pie! ALL Vegan! The ambiance was great and so were the people...really can't say enough good things!

Pros: Tasty food, versitile, desserts
Vegies Rule
Vegies Rule

Absolutely Wonderful!

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2011

This is a GREAT restaurant! We ordered the Crabby Cake Po'Boy with the Roasted Baby Red Potatoes, the Vegetarian Jambalaya, and the Lemon Poppy Seed Cheesecake. Everything was absolutely wonderful and full of flavor. The Po'Boy was excellent and the chipotle remoulade added the perfect touch of spiciness. The marinated baked tempeh in the Jambalaya was the best tempeh we have ever eaten. The dinner was topped off with the best vegan cheesecake we have ever eaten. This restaurant is definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Absolutely excellent food, Service was great, Clean, asthetically pleasing decor
Cons: Not located in Minneapolis!
koya65
koya65

Totally Veggie/Vegan Awesome!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2011

Very helpful staff for new Veggies. Excellent food! We'll be back again & again.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: parking
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Fabulous Find!

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

Things that I didn't expect to be great like the kale crisps, the green beans and the cabbage coleslaw were OUTSTANDING. At the same time, things I thought would be great like my fish sandwich, we're just so-so. Nothing wrong with the fish fillet itself, it needed a good tartar sauce and better bun.

The vegan schnitzel lived up the the hype. Yumilicious!

Drink selection is oustanding. Try the kombucha. Homemade flavors. When I was there they had lavender-dandelion-red clover kombucha and it was fabulous.

One waitress working hard and three others hardly working. Not sure if we came in during a shift change, but it seemed odd. All staff was delightful to us. I wished I lived in Madison so I could go here all the time.

Pros: free Street parking right in front, great owl decorations
Cons: none!
rhymeswithtwee
rhymeswithtwee

jackfruit sammie was awesome!

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

The jackfruit sandwich was truly amazing. This sandwich blew my mind. Part of why I eat veggie/vegan so often is how tasty the food is. Prices are reasonable also and it seems to be in a hip 'hood!

Pros: inviting space, good menu selections, reasonably priced
Cons: close early on sundays
Rob Morris
Rob Morris

Green Owl has our hoots!

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2011

We ate at Green Owl yesterday, 3/5/2011 for the first time and were pleased with the food, menu, ambiance, and price. The Jackfruit BBQ was real hit but the chili, corn bread, no-meatball sandwich and kale crisps were good as well. Nice to find a pure vegetarian "island" in the island of Madison. Not fans of booze being available, regardless of it being WI or not.

Pros: healthy food, good value, tasty and interesting food
Cons: booze sold
nitro68
nitro68

Great food.

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2010

I enjoyed the selection and the daily specials. It was great to be able to choose among vegan desserts as well. Pretty easy to find on our way back to Milw. from the Capitol, being off of Hwy 151. We were even able to sit outside.

Pros: good choices, friendly service, great food
Stovedevil
Stovedevil

Green Owl

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2010

The Green Owl is doing vegetarian food that has never been done before. The food is awsome, prices are reasonable, the service? Some times they don't see me sitting at the bar. But they do and it is a nice bar. I highly reccomend the Green Owl. Some of these negetive comments are from people who don't want a vegetarian restaraunt to succeed!

Superf1y
Superf1y

Disappointing food, bad service

2 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2010

The food we tried at the Green Owl was ok and the service we received was bad. My dinnermate and I split two items and also shared a soup The best part of the meal was the Cauliflower Curry soup. We also got the epanadas and the meatball sub. The sub was decent, spicy and saucy, but nothing special for $9. The empanadas are overpriced ($13)for the small portion of food you receive. They tasted like nothing as did the beans and rice that came with it. The sauce on the rice was the only part that had flavor. Also was not served the side of sour cream and never had a chance to ask for it because of the bad service. We waiting a long time to be greeted and to order. After our waitress brought out our meal and did not come back again until we were completely finished eating. She did check on a table near our several times, and each time she had to pass our table but did not say anything. After she brought our check it also took a long time for her to come back and get it so we could get our change. I would not return the Green Owl. It was a waste of money to leave unsatisfied. I would much rather go to Monty's for better food and service.

Cons: Service, Portions/value
MadisonVegan
MadisonVegan

good, but I hope it gets better

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

I read two complaints in the local media about the Green Owl.

One was that they used weird, processed foods (I don't remember the exact wording), referring to the wheat gluten "meat" that comes in many dishes. This is just an uninformed person making an uninformed comment. There's nothing wrong with seitan (or meat analogues made from gluten) and it has been delicious in all the dishes that I've had at the Owl.

The second gripe was the surprising dearth of fresh vegetables. I think this critique actually holds some weight. It's not like there are NO vegetables served here. There are. Just not as many as I had hoped, and many of them are not "fresh" i.e. raw or recently cut and cooked. I haven't been there this spring/summer yet, so maybe they're doing more of a local thing and they've been waiting for local produce. I certainly hope so, because that would be a touch that would make this good restaurant great.

My personal gripe is that a lot of the dishes are fairly expensive. I realize that vegetarianism and veganism are largely thought of as being a middle to upper middle class phenomenon (and there is some truth to it), but when you look at what is in some of these entrees, it's hard to understand why they need to cost $13. They're the ones figuring out the right price points, so I don't really like to second-guess them on that, but all I'm saying is that they would get easily twice as much business from this vegan if their prices were even 20% lower. It shouldn't have to cost $40-$45 for two people to each get an entrée and split an appetizer and a dessert between them.

I did really appreciate that they have a lot of vegan options and that they're clearly marked as vegan. That scores them big points from me. The vegans win and the waitstaff wins.

Overall, a great place to eat. Serve more vegetables and knock a bit off the price and I'll definitely come back much more often.

Oh, and lot of the waitresses are pretty cute. That never hurts.

Pros: clearly-labeled vegan options, good waitstaff
Cons: too expensive, not enough vegetables
AmberLee
AmberLee

Yummy!

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

I went to The Green Owl on Friday night. I was not the least bit hungry, but since I was in a town that had a veggie restaurant I *had* to try it. It was a little awkward to eat alone there because the tables are so close to each other that you can't help feel like you are invading on somebody else's space...and when you dine alone it's hard not to eavesdrop when the other patrons are so close. However, that it quite mild and not really an irritation at all. Don't let that comment stop you from going to this amazing establishment!

I could not decide what to order. I had my choices narrowed down to the vegan schnitzel ($13) and the vegan Jackfruit BBQ sandwich ($8). I asked the server what she thought. She told me that if I felt adventurous I should try the sandwich & so I did. It was amazing!!! I ordered it with the red potatoes (you get your choice of side) which were also tasty. This food was delicious. And even though I wasn't the least bit hungry (I felt full when I arrived, actually), I scarfed down my entire meal. YUMMY!!

The staff was very polite. The restaurant was very clean and fresh looking. I can't wait for my next stop in Madison!!

Pros: Delicious, Good portions, Inexpensive
iwoof4u
iwoof4u

Great Find in Madison

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

I regularly travel for business to Madison from the Seattle Area. I was lucky enough to try this place on my last trip. I had the Vegan Schnitzel, Pate and Vegan Hot Lava Cake. YUMMY! I will be back there this week to dine again. Great Atmosphere and busy environment. Compares to the best vegeterian resturaunts in the big cities.

Pros: Excellent, Vegan Hot Lava Cake
KenC
KenC

Great Addition to Madison

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2010

Madison is a great town (I was born here but live in upstate NY now), but has had trouble supporting vegetarian restaurants. This one seems like it has a real chance to survive. The food is very, very good ... the atmosphere is pleasant and they even have our favorite waitress from Monty's. Like our other favorite veggie places, the people here have a real passion for vegetarian, especially vegan food. I hope they are here for a long time.

Pros: Many good vegan options, Alcohol, Nice people
Cons: Confusing address
Boomer
Boomer

Down to the very last morsel

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

What a delectable atmosphere to be in. The background music was at a delightful level, the overall aesthetics were hip and pristine, the service was wonderful and the food was out of this world!

This is a splendid place to bring family ands friends from out of town who have dietary needs and gives virtually dreamland to choose from, but still very enjoyable to those who want a spectacular place to dine. They even a a small kids menu and offer for those able a beer, wine and cocktail menu.

It is a bit pricey, but totally worth every penny down to the very last morsel.

Pros: delectable cuisine, enjoyable service, splendid atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of The Green Owl Cafe: