The Great Escape Ice Cream ...

Long-time operating local ice cream shop in downtown Watkins Glen. Offers an extensive assortment of soft serve ice cream flavors, both dairy as well as vegan, made onsite. more-less
221 S Franklin St (12th St, downtown)
Watkins Glen, New York 14891

Capzilla37
Capzilla37

Awesome oreo ice cream!

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2014

So happy we stopped here on our trip to Watkins glen! We were greeted with a big smile and treated like family. Their vegan soft serve machine was down and they were kind enough to have an alternate vegan option which was delicious oreo vanilla flavor! I would definetly go back!!!

Pros: Friendly , Accomodating, Delicious
vegfam
vegfam

Must have vegan ice cream!!

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

My family and I LOVE this place as part of our visit to Ithaca and Farm Sanctuary every year. Never been disappointed. We all had the vegan soft serve vanilla in waffle cones and had no problem with consistency, flavor or anything. We also split vegan peanut butter cookies filled with vanilla ice cream. They only had 2 left since they were closing for the season, but if they had more we would have bought many to go. The owner was super friendly and helpful, even made a special walnut topping for my husband. The owner said they'll have 2 vegan bakers next year. Sooo excited to make plans for next year. My sons , 9 & 11 read the 2 bad reviews and honestly couldn't believe it! Never had a bad time or flavor during any of our trips!!! We love it!!!

Pros: soft serve, icecream sandwiches, service
Cons: none
NYCVegan13
NYCVegan13

vegan ice cream!

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

We stop by Great Escape each year during our visit to Farm Sanctuary. It's nice that there is a vegan ice cream option in town. Currently, they offer a vanilla/plain soft serve base with lots of flavor shots to chose from. As you might expect (and I'm sure is true for a non-vegan version), some flavor shots taste and work better than others. We're never that adventurous, usually going with the basics like chocolate, strawberry or banana. It's always been very good and kept us going back every year. The owner mentioned he may add a chocolate base option and maybe even some vegan hard ice cream next season!

Mubby
Mubby

Vegan ice cream left something to be desired

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I visited Farm Sanctuary and made a trip to this place to try their vegan soft serve ice cream. As a previous reviewer said, it was gross and a let down! They have a ton of flavors but it's basically a flavored syrup they add to the main soft serve mix. The picture is misleading - you think you're getting soft serve on a cone, but it comes in milkshake form. I got the lemon flavor and it tasted like chemicals. Threw it out after a few bites - was not worth the calories. I did kind of like the decor though, all the old ice cream scoops hanging from the ceiling were funky.

jcberger
jcberger

vegan soft serve

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2013

After reading the other reviews, I was so excited to try this vegan soft serve ice cream. Not inedible, but I threw it away after several bites. It tasted fake and chemical-y, and WAY too sweet. Really they just have a soft serve "base" (which wasn't good on its own, either) and then add these artificially flavored syrups into it. I chose espresso... what a mistake. Plus, you can only order a "medium" if you get a flavor, which is way too large and pricey! I also got walnuts on mine and they tasted stale. The atmosphere was so tacky and almost fair-like. I didn't get to try any vegan ice cream in Ithaca but I hear there's some better stuff over there. I'd say it's worth the drive!

DaisytheHedgehog
DaisytheHedgehog

Most delicious vegan soft serve

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2012

I have never found vegan soft serve until this restaurant. It is AMAZING and especially a great treat after visiting nearby Farm Sanctuary :) from which you can get a 10% off coupon for vegan ice cream. I recommend the soft serve with oreos on top. So delicious!! So far they only have one flavor, so it would be great if they added a few more.

elles_belles
elles_belles

Surprisingly good

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2011

I remember when they use to offer only one flavor a day. I'm happy they changed it so that they could add flavor to the vanilla. It's very creamy. I enjoyed it.

tdehaven
tdehaven

I Scream For Ice-Cream

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

Me and my boyfriend had just gotten done visiting Farm Sanctuary, and they told us about The Great Escape Ice Cream Parlor, (They also gave us coupons for ice cream!) I was so excited to try vegan soft serve ice cream. I got it topped with fresh banana, and it was DELICIOUS. I definitely wish I lived closer!

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive
Kind Cindy
Kind Cindy

Soft Vegan

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

Watkins Glen offers some great vegan friendly options and my husband and I were thrilled to see the local ice cream parlor advertised vegan soft ice cream! We made the mistake however of asking for a "flavour" to be added which involves adding brightly coloureed "koolaid" like flavouring and blending. The result was far too sweet and had a strange after taste (as one might expect).

I am giving this 4 "happy cows" only because I think the vanilla would have been tasty on its own with any number of the toppings that were offered such as walnuts or maple syrup.

Pros: Right on the main street
Cons: Stay away from flavour additives

Dear Owner and Manager of The Great Escape Ice Cream Parlor: