Small cafe making 100% vegetarian and with a large percentage of vegan choices from toasted bagels, breakfasts, soups and salads to steaming bowls of noodle and daily specials. Nearly all traybakes and cakes are vegan friendly. Specialty teas and coffees. Laid back decor, mix and match furniture, free wi-fi, open plan kitchen. Opened Jun 2013. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, British, English, Bakery, Take-out

JennyMiles
JennyMiles

Love this place!

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2015

The Good Apple cafe is my life saver. Everything is delicious, the range of food and sweets is really good for such a small place and prices are fair.
Shame it's not completely vegan, but perhaps one day...??

Pros: amazing vegan sweets, lovely standard menu & daily specials, matcha latte!!
Cons: serves cow's milk & cheese
hack_man
hack_man

A Good Pick

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Nice little cafe in the processed meat capital of the North East. Very welcoming and pleasant inside serving a good range of coffees and teas as well as cold drinks. The food options are pretty much standard but quite imaginative and filling. Take your pick from sandwiches, panninis, wraps, bagels and toasties with numerous fillings both vegan and vegetarian. They also serve a mean veg or vegan breakfast. Prices are good, pay around £3.00 for a satisfying snack well presented with some crisps and a decent salad. Coffees are in the £2 range depending on type. I like it here and will be back. Oh, did I mention they sell vegan cakes too as standard, including rocky road with vegan marshmallows!

Pros: friendly, good snack food, prices
ChrisRandle
ChrisRandle

Genuinely lovely!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

Sunderland has lacked a vegan/vegetarian specialist place for some time. There is a cafe a street up that serves veggie food as well as meat etc, however I always get a bit weary when eating in a place that also serves meat. You can never be completely sure they're cooking the food on a seperate grill.

The Good Apple cafe has a wide selection of food, and the best part is the majority is vegan. I'm not vegan myself but will eat vegan whenever possible. The cakes and treats are amazing, and definitely prove that vegan food can be even more tasty than none-vegan!

So far, we've only tried the brekkie for cooked food, which was lovely, but I definitely want to try more.

The owners are really nice people, nice and chatty; they're also interacting with our daughter which I think is a nice touch. The only negative I can think of is that they don't have high chairs for babies. However it is a small cafe so I realise space may be an issue. Just be prepared to keep your little one in the pram.

Overall, I think I'm going to be a very poor man while this cafe is around. But it'll be well worth it!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Amazing food
Cons: No baby seat
  • goodapplecafe goodapplecafe

Thanks for the lovely review Chris, it's good to know that we are going in the right direction. We do actually have one baby seat that takes a few seconds to assemble, it is kept in the corner to the left of the toilet so it's probably not easy to spot - sorry! We hope to acquire more baby seats and even a changing table in the near future so that both babies and parents are kept happy! :)

Dear Owner and Manager of The Good Apple Cafe: