The Gate

Vegetarian restaurant near Carling Hammersmith Apollo, a bit difficult to find first time. Reopened in 2013 after refurbishment. Attached to the Temple Lodge B&B. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, British, English, Gourmet, Berr/Wine

Barbara Primo
Barbara Primo

I love it!

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

We went on mai 2014 for the second time. We think food is very good, tasty and well presented. We will go there again and again when in London.
Prices are not cheap but quality of food neither.

Steffi Giraffe
Steffi Giraffe

Vegetarians will love it, vegans less so...

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

When my boyfriend was still vegetarian rather than vegan, he asked to go here for his birthday. He had a great dining experience but, as a vegan, I didn't. There weren't many options and it seemed like they couldn't be bothered with being imaginative for vegan food. Having been to Manna and seeing what could be done it was extremely disappointing. The worst thing is the vegan options of meals are just the same meals with the dairy/egg item removed!

On the plus side, the restaurant itself is really beautifully decorated (or was before it closed for refurbishment! ;) ) and you really feel you are somewhere upmarket - moreso than any other vegetarian restaurant I have been to.

Pros: High quality, Romantic
Cons: Poor deal for vegans
TMcC
TMcC

Great food!

5 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2013

I went here a year ago for my birthday. The food was so tasty and really imaginative. Quite pricey, but well worth it!

Pros: Big portions, Creative menu, Very flavourful
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Stylish and fun

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

A stylish gourmet vegetarian bar and restaurant with a good number of vegan options - about half the menu. The atmosphere is fun and funky and well-designed. We had the polenta cakes and the wild mushroom risotto cakes. For desert we had a brioche with summer fruits with vegan ice cream, and an apple and rhubarb crumble. All vegan. Very tasty food and an enjoyable night out.

Pros: Delicious, Fun atmosphere, Artistic creations
Guest
Guest

Great food

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

My husband and I enjoyed the food here - plenty of vegan options (except dessert) and dishes were well presented and tasty.

We were a little disappointed in the limited vegan dessert options - a single choice for vegans of chilli roasted pineapple.

The restaurant itself is above a church but not affiliated with the church and the space is lovely and open with a good atmosphere. It is a little odd to have to enter via the church though!

I will be eating here again in the future.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Limited dessert choice for vegans

bigbunny
bigbunny

My favourite 'expensive' veggie place!

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

Incredible food. Constantly changing & exciting menu. Worth the trip & bother to find it (it's sorta' hidden under a church!). Gourmet food & a lovely environment. RECOMMENDED TO BOTH THE LONDONER & THE TRAVELLER! :-)

Pros: Gorgeous food!, Always something new, Friendly informed staff & chef
Cons: A little pricey, Hard to find the first time, May need reservation
RobinZaragoza
RobinZaragoza

Very tasty, no problems as a vegan

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

Went here with my husband a few weeks ago. The atmosphere was bustling, but warm and friendly. The staff were very attentive.

I would have to disagree with the folks that say the vegan options are limited. At least 1/3 - a half of the menu is available as vegan. I ordered everything vegan and I didn't feel the taste was lacking in the least. In fact, I was surprised at how tasty everything was. Only been once, but I can say this is probably one of my favorite restaurants so far!

richcoopa
richcoopa

My favourite vegetarian restaurant.

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

My wife and I love this restaurant so much we try not to go too often. It sounds weird but for us, food this good needs a special occasion! The decor is lovely, staff attentive, atmosphere great, but mostly it's the food. To say it's special is putting it down. It's outstanding.

Pros: Gourmet food, Amazing flavour
Cons: Fairly expensive, A little hidden
veganaurora
veganaurora

Don't bother if you're vegan

2 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2010

The Gate is a vegetarian restaurant that doesn't put much effort into catering for vegans. I went with a vegetarian partner and we spotted straight away that not one of the main courses was all vegan. A couple were 'vegan option'. There were a couple of starters that were vegan however, and we had a delicious artichoke in batter. But on the mains even the 'vegan option' choice was sparse. The nicest looking thing on the menu was a mushroom risotto dish. My vegetarian friend's dish came with a tasty creamy sauce around the risotto cake thing, my vegan version didn't. He said that the sauce made the dish. My 'vegan option' dish was under-seasoned and not particularly tasty otherwise - I wouldn't recommend it. When I mentioned this to the waitress she said that's just what happens with the dishes that are vegan. So basically you pay the same price as a vegan (and it's not cheap at The Gate) but get a dish which has just had the non-vegan bits taken out and they don't even attempt to replace them with anything else to compensate for any taste difference! You might be used to this from restaurants that serve mainly meat but The Gate is a well-established veggie place. We didn't bother with the desserts, again hardly any vegan choice. Come on The Gate, other restaurants manage to be a bit more creative and cater properly for vegans, it's not hard.

Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: Vegan options limited., Vegan options underseasoned, Vegan options very underwhelming
Alyson
Alyson

Smart but more vegan food needed!

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2008

The Gate is a smart place to eat. I was in London for a work meeting so ate here on my own. The place was busy, and quite noisy, but the service was attentive. The vegan choices were quite low in numbers for all three courses, although they were all very tasty. I'm also sure the two vegan options on the main courses were the same ones that had been on there (tangine, tortilla wraps) nearly two years ago when I was last in London and ate here. The vegan desserts were not very inspiring, but their ice cream was definitely home made and was very tasty.
In summary, nice, quite epensive so good for a 'celebration', but could do better on the vegan front.

Pros: tasty, friendly staff
Cons: few vegan choices, noisy
Nickysr
Nickysr

So so

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

I normally take my American business collegue to Saf but as she had a meeting in Hammersmith I thought I'd give the gate a try.
It is a really lovely setting and the menu is great for Vegetarians but was really uninspiringfor vegans - the menu is SO cheese based so there was onlyt two options for me to choose from.
I had the Tagine which was meant to be root veg but all it had in it was Fennel and chickpeas. It was also so spicy it was impossilbe to eat - tagines should be fragrant with cinnamon and spices not just so hot that you cannot taste anything.
The desserts were the usual for vegans - a choice of crumble or apple charlotte, neither of which I fancied so the waitress suggested the 'homemade vegan ice-creams. Lobvely but they arrived and were Swedish Glace ones - not homemade at all.
If I was a veggie I would love this place but as a vegan I can't see myself ever going back as they do not cater for me. It is probably a little churlish to give this review as it is a Vegetarian restaurant and not a Vegan one but I did call before and was told the dishes could be adapted but they can't be as they pretty much all contain cheese as the base ingredient.

Pros: nice setting, good for veggies
Cons: bad for vegans
GAJ
GAJ

Still as good as ever

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2007

I am pleased to report that our recent visit found food standards in line with our high expectations and we were welcomed as usual by pleasant staff. The Gate is not the cheapest option but it offers a unique and imaginative menu and a good night out. We always go for the mezze as it is too difficult to choose a single starter, and then share two main courses. (We don't like to miss anything).

Pros: Excellent food, Pleasant staff

Dear Owner and Manager of The Gate: