The Gate Restaurant

Offers casual vegetarian dining, all-day mezze bar menu, and weekend brunch. Dairy is used. Vegan options are marked "vo." Located opposite Saddler's Wells Theatre, around the corner to Upper Street, and a short walk from Angel tube station. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, British, English, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine
370 St John Street, Islington
London, England
0207-278-5483

Open Mon-Fri 12-2:30pm, 6-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 10am- 3pm, 6-10:30pm.

First Review by greenknittinggal
Emisgoodeating
Emisgoodeating

Very good food and good vegan options

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2014

The Gate is simply a top notch restaurant with terrific veg*n food, including dessert and even wine, prosecco, beer and cocktails. They do rely a bit much on the cheeses for lacto-ovo and that's just superfluous IMO. The service is very good too.

Pros: Superb quality food n bev, Great service, Good vegan options
Cons: Too much dairy on the menu
Barbara Primo
Barbara Primo

Very good restaurant

4 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2013

I was glad to discover this restaurant, I went in London for my birthday in october and we went to The Gate at Hammersmith twice.
We loved food, people, light and colors...
it was a new experience for us, good food, well done, nice recipes and good presentation in the dish, full of flavors, we loved and we look forward to come back soon.

pippomusic
pippomusic

amazing food and great sevice

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

Food is wonderful, lots of vegan options and large portions. For the quality price is fair :) i forgot to tell vegan option, but they took the dish back and chnged it with the vegan version. Recommended

Pros: food , service
Cons: wine list is poor
gen6
gen6

Very appetising food, but under-seasoned

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

Enjoyed the food and atmosphere very much, but as each course was under-seasoned the taste was a bit off, but would definitely go again!

Cecilia B.
Cecilia B.

To try

3 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

Very nice atmosphere and waitress. As DAGNY70 said: "The person who greeted us was a little unfriendly when I asked for a table for 2, stating "you didn't book?"" - I thought it was because of our tourists' clothes but now I read these words and I understand that wasn't the reason of the guy behavior.
Excellent food but small vegan portions, unluckily they finished the bread so I was pretty disappointed, it would be perfect to have some with vegetables (but I think it's more italian style)
Very expensive in my opinion (I suggest increase the portions or lower cost)
Poor choice of vegan dessert, only fruit.
They add a service charge to the bill, too bad!
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 31, 2013
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 31, 2013

Pros: Excellent food, Nice waitress
Cons: Expensive, Service charge added

ann.marie77
ann.marie77

Fantastic

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

Went to the Islington location with a group of friends on Monday night. Everything was fantastic--the mezze plates were delicious and the entrees were each spot on. My friend and I shared because we couldn't decide. We took the waiter's recommendation and didn't regret it.

Pros: Beautiful space, Delicious food
Cons: Kind of small menu
MelissaMouse
MelissaMouse

Great Food And Service

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

I've visited this restaurant twice now. First time for an 'express lunch' and second time (last night) for dinner.

On both occasions I ordered a thai green curry style dish, which were very spicy and delicious.

Last night I had the basket of bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and also had soy icecream and fruit sorbet for dessert.

The food and service are great and I would recommend. The food was affordable as well although they do put a 'service charge' on your receipt which I'm not that fond of, not being an English custom!

I was unwell yesterday and also eating alone both times as away due to work but was made to feel relaxed by the friendly staff.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly, Affordable
Cons: Service Charge
millavinilla
millavinilla

Classy Veg Food

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

Really enjoyed the food. Menu was small with several vegan options and wines. Food was really well presented and the flavour combinations were interesting. All was very fresh. Servers were very friendly.

Pros: Small seasonal menu, Great food, Friendly
Cons: Need to book
madonnaragu
madonnaragu

Disappointing

2 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

I went to eat here with a friend. It was extremely busy, and incredibly noisy to the point of us almost leaving. The floor plan is just awful. The decor is bland and uninspiring.

They had a number of vegan options on the menu, and I ordered a few starters and a main, re-confirming about three times that I wanted them vegan. Once the food arrived, I asked if it was vegan, as it looked like it wasn't, and after they checked with the kitchen, they confirmed that I was served food with dairy/eggs.

They did apologise and came back with my vegan stuff, but it was very disappointing that this happened in the first place.

All this could perhaps be forgiven if the food is tasty. Unfortunately, it was not. It felt like eating at a countryside vegetarian restaurant in 1980s. The food was bland, tasteless, greasy. There were no spices, herbs or flavours. The entire menu feels dated, and is very cheese and egg heavy. Even the vegan options taste like cardboard.

Very, very disappointing - in terms of food, service and the entire experience. There are so many good veggie restaurants in London, and this is not the one I will be going back to.

Pros: Location
Cons: Food, Service, Vegan options come as non-vegan
LaraJames
LaraJames

pretentious place

2 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

Food is just average, nothing amazing and nothing new, same dishes and same recipes seen over and over.
Not enough vegan options especially in the dessert menu.
On top of that, staff can be pretty disrespectful and snobbish towards vegans, which is quite annoying and a bed surprise in a veggie place.

Cons: too pricey compared to quality, snobbish staff with no knowledge about w, not enough vegan options
LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Fancy-ish vegetarian dining, many vegan options

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2013

Ate here on a Friday night. The place was packed and so conversation levels were very high. I had the vegan version of the Cajun Aubergine dish, it was delicious, reconciled me with guacamole and made me lose my fear of okra. For dessert I had the fruit trifle, which was way too sugary. I couldn't finish it but wanted to take it home with me - the accommodating waiter gave me a ceramic ramekin to take it home in! Pricey but quality food; nice for a treat or special occasion.

Pros: delicious food, lots of vegan options, good service
Cons: noisy, pricey
pefff
pefff

Delicious food!

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

I took a trip with my mum to The Gate a few weeks ago. Very delicious food with lots of vegan options. Staff were friendly and there was a good atmosphere in the restaurant. My mum is pescatarian so I'm always pleased when she's satisfied at an all vegetarian restaurant. We were really happy with our time at The Gate!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Good atmosphere
adamrowland
adamrowland

A gem of a restuarant

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2013

We've now been to The Gate at least 6 times in the past 6 months and it's quickly becoming one of our favourites for meals out with friends and family.

The restaurant:
The Gate is in a really good location just minutes from Angel Tube station and the bars and nightlife of Islington. It's also handily located for Sadler's Wells theatre (I think a pre-theatre dining option is available)

The dining area is well appointed and large. The layout and decor are reminisicent of restaurants I've been to in Seattle and San Francisco. It definitely creates a relaxed yet sophisticated atmosphere.

The food:
The menu isn't vast but changes regularly and mixes creative flair with some well-loved classics (eg: Thai and Morrocan dishes). There are usually a couple of vegan options with a couple more that can be veganised. We've always found the food of the highest quality and the portion size good (Our all-time favourite starter were the stuffed courgette flowers!)

If you opt for the bread, you'll be delighted with a varied selection of different breads (from pumpernickel to olive ciabatta) and some dipping oil.

The vegan options on the dessert menu could be more adventurous - a minor quibble as I'm always stuffed by the time dessert comes round!

The service:
In the evening, booking is essential in our opinion - especially if there is more than 2 in your party.

The service is friendly and efficient. Some of our servers have been better than others but it's always been at the best end of service for veggie London restuarants. On the odd occasion when we've witnessed an unhappy diner, the host/manager dealt with the situation calmly and professionally.

Service is very efficient, and although you can see the food being prepared fresh within the restaurant, you won't have to wait very long to dig in!

The Gate is a fantastic restaurant that maintains its consistency for amazing food, great service and an elegant atmosphere. I can't recommend The Gate enough and is a brilliant place to take non-veggie friends and family who quickly forget that they are in a cruelty-free environment :)

This place is a must-see/do as part of any London itinerary!

Pros: Food, Location, Atmosphere/service
Cons: More vegan options would be good
aclasse
aclasse

Lovely food, service friendly but unconventional

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

I have been here a couple of times, the second over the Christmas break. Both times I thought the food was good but the service was a little strange. I have now forgotten why I thought this the first time but this recent time the waiter urged us to have some bread while we were waiting for our other food, but then the bread didn't seem to arrive until they were just about to bring the other food. Then the coffee arrived well ahead of the desserts... On the plus side when one of our party got into a strop about the coffee thing the waiter remained extremely polite. Anyway, the food and location makes it a nice place to eat before or after a trip to Sadlers Wells which is practically opposite so I am looking forward to my next visit with interest :-) The tapas (which we had the first time) and brunch (the second time) seemed reasonably priced for this sort of establishment and location.

Pros: Great food, Plenty for vegans, Friendly
Cons: Service unpredictable
sebbacon
sebbacon

Overpriced

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

It was good, and a nice atmosphere, but priced to make me expect something amazing. About 15% cheaper or 15% more creative and I'd give it top marks.

Pros: atmosphere, wine list
Cons: price
dagny70
dagny70

Great Food

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2012

We came here for dinner on a recent trip to London for a gig. The person who greeted us was a little unfriendly when I asked for a table for 2, stating "you didn't book?" This, despite the fact that it was 5:30pm and the place had 3 customers! However, our servers were extremely friendly and the decor was fab, very modern/industrial and cool. It was a little pricey, but we had the set menu (2 courses for £12.50) which seemed very reasonable. The food was really tasty and service was quick (perhaps because it was so quiet!) This was my second experience of a London restaurant adding a service charge to the bill, which I think is extremely cheeky. Maybe it's a London thing, but it feels a bit like bullying! Overall, good food, nice atmosphere, and 80% of the staff were lovely!

Pros: Good food, Cool decor, Mostly friendly!
Cons: Expensive
mannschaftpag
mannschaftpag

Great restaurant, not just a Veggie restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2012

My wife has long recommended the Gate and we used to go the Hammersmith restaurant. Delighted to see one open in Islington.

We both thought the food was fantastic. Service was a little erratic, but I think that was because it was so new at the time and they hadn't gelled.

Only disappointment was that they had non alcoholic beer on the menu, but not that day.

Took my very ignorant non veggie parents and the food was so good and satisfying that the fact that it was veggie actually wasn't a point of discussion (delightful) and they don't remember it as being a veggie restaurant. Result, thanks!

Pros: excellent food, excellent location, excellent building
greenknittinggal
greenknittinggal

Ideal pre-theatre veg restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

I found this place looking for somewhere vegan friendly for lunch before heading to a matinée at Sadler's Wells theatre. It's certainly a great location, less than 5 mins walk away from the theatre.
I really liked the decor- not what you might expect from a veg restaurant (i.e.slightly hippie/alternative) but with a smart, industrial feel.
On to the food. Unfortunately the mezze wasn't an option as apparently it's not served when the weekend brunch is on but they looked to have some yummy things and mostly vegan too.
The brunch menu wasn't particularly vegan-friendly, a bit heavy on the cheese and eggs, so we ordered a la carte. My Mum and I split 2 mains- the corn cake which comes with roasted vegetables and a black bean, red pepper salsa and the Thai salad of green mango, paw paw, roasted peanuts etc. The presentation was elegant and both dishes were good, although not mind-blowing. Perhaps could have done with a bit more spice? We weren't hugely full so decided on a dessert. Again not a huge amount of vegan options but I was pleased to see a couple (not just sorbet!) Now this was the best part of the meal- a summer brioche berry pudding served with vanilla (soy) ice cream. The pudding was so flavourful with loads of yummy berries. I appreciated the little scoop of vanilla ice cream , although I think a cashew based ice cream, or Swedish Glace would have been yummier.

All in all, this was a good meal- and a restaurant I'd be happy to take both omnis and veggies too.

Pros: Presentation, Décor, Decent range of Vegan options
Cons: A little costly..