The Gardener's Arms

A pub with kitchen serving vegetarian and vegan bar snacks and main meals. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, Fast food, Beer/Wine
39 Plantation Road, Jericho
Oxford, England OX2 6JE
01865-559814

Open Mon-Tue 5-9pm, Wed-Sat 12-2:30pm, 5-9pm, Sun 12-8pm.

First Review by happyharry
wildfang
wildfang

Great atmosphere

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

What a shame it was afternoon when we got there and thus the time of day when they don't prepare food (Saturdays). We had some beer instead and just enjoyed the atmosphere and general crowd starting to pour in. We shall come back and try out the food one day.

RoxanneSelby
RoxanneSelby

• non-vegetarian

Best ever local

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

An excellent local with a wonderful range of food - ideal for the vegetarian and non-vegetarian alike. A great location ideal for a meal with a group, as a couple, alone, or with families (also very welcoming of children). A wonderful range of food - the medley mushroom pie, excellent burgers, and calzones are our favourites, and our son loves the chips. Staff are delightful and it's our favourite pub in the area.

Pros: Excellent food - calzones, burgers, and pies, There may be crumbles and delicious puddings , General ambience - staff, music, beers
a01chtra
a01chtra

Six years, one regular destination

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

I've been a medical student in Oxford now for 6 years and have consistently brought any guests (friends, family, partner etc.) to eat at the Gardener's Arms during that time.

I started with the quiz nights (as part of a St. Hugh's team) and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the novelty - but was also struck by the high quality of the burgers and the calzone in particular.

As a vegetarian, I can honestly say that there are surprisingly few quality options in Oxford [GBK, Gardener's Arms... maybe Solomon's kebab van (v underrated!)]. The menu is constantly updating / rotating, the atmosphere is genuinely delightful and warm (I've also been involved in singing with the cooks!) and it's just a lovely place.

If you haven't been, do check it out!

Pros: Excellent quiz night, High quality food, Lovely atmosphere
Cons: Far from Headington (medic problems), Sometimes garden dominated by smokers
DynamoCowley
DynamoCowley

Best Veggie pub in Oxford bar none

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

Been eating here for years. Andy is an amazing chef and I hope to be eating here for many more years to come. The food is superb and its good value for money.

And if you can make it to quiz night or one of the superb Steam Punk evenings then make sure you do, either are not to be missed!

Pros: Good food, Great price, Cracking atmosphere
Cons: too much fun!
jenhelenoliver
jenhelenoliver

Gardener's Arms veggie pub

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

We are lucky enough to have the GA as our local - as veggies it's so nice to have so much choice when we eat there, and the burgers, curry, salad, and calzone have all received the seal of approval. The burger is our go-to option, always hits the spot! Omnivorous friends have also been pleased/relieved with what they ate, including a formerly extremely sceptical steak fan. Another lovely feature is the regularly rotated selection of real ales and interesting other brews. Oh, and check out the Sunday night quiz, it's a scorcher!

Pros: Great choice of veggie and vegan options, Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, Collection of vinyl sleeves on display!
Cons: Hard to find table at busiest times!

JoshHodgePodge
JoshHodgePodge

burger heaven

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

just wanted to pop in and say that these are quit possibly the best burgers i have ever taster..was meaty for about 3 years in my teens and was veg before and since and i reckon they are hands down the best i have had.

have been there many times and have never had anything except a double burger so canr comment on rest of menu but i have always come out bursting at the seams with both compliments and burger...

ill be back for another one soon

theosireion
theosireion

My favourite pub in Oxford.

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

The Gardeners Arms is as good as it gets for vegetarians and vegans alike - actually I defy even meat-eaters to deny their burgers are the best in town. They're so good I actually find it hard to choose anything else - whenever I have it's been similarly excellent. My vegan friends rave about the mushroom pie.

The staff are very friendly, without being service robots and the atmosphere is very welcoming. A largish garden out back is perfect for Summer evenings. The booze is of a high standard - well-kept ale for those who prefer it, tasty lager for uh, well, me. A good selection of wines too.

Oh, and don't forget the quiz - it's clear an awful lot of effort goes into it. Every Sunday night. All in all, my favourite pub in Oxford!

Pros: Really great food, Excellent, well-kept booze, Weekly quiz every Sunday night
Cons: Next door to an old folks' home, Being popular it does get very busy
LucyD
LucyD

Burgers burgers everywhere

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

Best burgers in Oxford and probably the world.
Don't ever change.
(also great pub quiz)

Pros: Burgers, Burgers, Garlic Mayo
Marike
Marike

nice pub

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

When I placed my order I was warned that it could take 45 minutes as they just had a large group come in. I did not mind waiting, but I really did appreciate the warning which proved to be pretty accurate. I had the mushroom pie, and a pear/ginger crumble for dessert. Nothing fancy, but decent food is a nice pub.

wyrd
wyrd

Veg Pub in Oxford

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2013

I went to the Gardener's Arms a couple of times in the last few months. The pub is really nice, there is a good atmosphere.

The food is nothing special, but it is good to be able to eat in a pub choosing from a lot of veg options! Prices are not high, but not too low either.

Pros: Nice pub, Friendly staff
Cons: Not exceptional quality of food
swade
swade

Great little veggie pub

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

We went there for Sunday lunch over Easter and loved the place. It has a ramshackle 'found furniture' vibe and the decor involves a bunch of old 45 vinyl records displayed around the pub on the surrounding picture rail. Staff friendly and a little bit quirky themselves.

It wasn't that busy at all but I know other reviews have said it can get rammed so it may just be that it was Easter Sunday that found us there.

A bit of a curry theme to a number of dishes. As we only wanted a light lunch we went for the veggie hotdogs (plus cheese and chilli extras) which were tasty and crispy fries. But the menu as a whole was good. Think a collection of all the solid veggie pub food options you might come across but all in one place.

Drinks reasonably priced too and a decent set of real ale options. Close to some nice parts of countryside just outside the main town centre but still only a 15 / 20 minute walk back to the centre.

Recommended.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 22, 2013

Pros: Tasty food, Reasonably priced , Good ales
Cons: Bit of a trek maybe
JDH
JDH

Excellent veggie food

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

Been eating here for years and Andy the chef never lets us down

The mushroom pie is superb and on Sunday there were some really good vegan pudding options too.

Life is much nicer knowing that the kitchen is entirely veggie. Hopefully there will be a vegan frangipane on sale any time now. We tried a delicious prototype.

Pros: All veggie, Mushroom pie, Vegan puds
Karole
Karole

Good veg*n pub grub

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

I've eaten here a few times since coming to Oxford and I always look forward to a meal and a drink at the Gardener's Arms. I usually get the vegan burger with chutney and chili sauce- messy but tasty! The sausage rolls are also pretty good. I've eaten here with other vegetarians and omnivores and everyone's been satisfied. Everything is labeled clearly and some vegetarian dishes can be made vegan. I would not recommend the thali platter, probably best to go to an actual Indian restaurant for that.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan-friendly, Good value
Cons: Can be crowded, Not always vegan dessert
SplashWellyKid
SplashWellyKid

Tasty Pub Grub

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2012

When we were last in Oxford, we enjoyed this pleasant pub venue with friendly staff so much we ate there every night! Passing back through at the end of our holiday we were keen to visit again.

It was busy & full of regular repeat diners - we arrived 8.15pm on a Fri eve & were warned it would be a 45 min wait for our meal, which we didn't mind, as we know it's all freshly cooked to order. The chap in front of us described them as having "the best burgers in Oxford".

There appeared to be less vegan options than we remembered but perhaps they usually were on the daily specials board or there are more on in the summer. See their website for the current menu - there are two vegan mains (a mushroom pie or Indian Thali), a selection of burger/burger wrap options & one vegan calzone, in addition to some side orders. There was also at least one vegan dessert of a fruit crumble (pear & ginger).

We both chose the Indian Thali - the curry of the day was supposed to be a korma but tasted more like a jalfrezi to me (perhaps they'd run out at the end of the evening & had to make a substitution). A nice selection, with the curry, aloo saag (potato wedges with spinach - not really very spiced), basmati rice, poppadoms, mango chutney and carrot salad & was just under a tenner, so a tad dear for the size (but we're used to cheaper London prices).

It's tasty fare & a nice welcoming place, so well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Pros: 100% Veggie/Vegan Menu, Vegan Options Clearly Marked, Friendly Staff
Cons: Gets Busy, So May Need To Wait For Food
dreamofhorses
dreamofhorses

Vegan food in Oxford!

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2011

It is so hard to find places in Oxford that have completely vegan food on the menu so it was lovely to go somewhere that did. I had the mushroom pie and it was really lovely. My friend has the burger and I'm not convinced it was up to much, the portion looked pretty small but the chips did taste nice. Typical english pub style food, but with vegan options. Next time I'll try the curry it sounded great.

Real ales at the bar, as well as lager and usual pub drinks. Nice intimate pub atmosphere, though quite popular and small, we were just 2 on a saturday early evening and there were luckily a couple of tables going, you order food at the bar.

Pros: clear menu, pretty good value, friendly staff and atmosphere
Cons: quitesmall so gets busy, nice though
Gastroplodder
Gastroplodder

Choice of vegan food in a relaxed setting

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2011

We wander down to The Gardener's Arms for lunch every few months and have always had a good feed.

Choices include the hearty vegan Medley Mushroom pie and simpler tasty vegan burger wraps and more. Half the menus vegan and all the food is vegetarian (but not the booze).

Furnished in a style that would have made for a comfy town pub 20 years ago with an interesting collection of old rock/punk album covers this pub manages to be both laid back and professional. Also has a pleasant garden for a summer day.

Pros: Several vegan options, Friendly, comfortable atmosphere, Not overpriced (for Oxford)
Cons: No vegan puddings
  • Gastroplodder Gastroplodder

Updating my own review here to say that The Garden does now have vegan puddings :)

filippodibari
filippodibari

if you like the pub...

2 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2010

...this is your place. The food is definitely British style. Nice crowd (at least when we went). The garden is gorgeous.

Pros: nice area location
Cons: pub smell
dave chester
dave chester

yum!!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2010

We ate here in March 2010.
The food was good wholesome fare and I would recommend the mushroom pie it's superb and the vegetables were correctly cooked not murdered.
I would not hesitate in recommending this to any one vegie or not

Pros: superb food, friendly pub
Cons: limited parking, limited seating
stefisdeadgood
stefisdeadgood

Yummy. :)

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

We called into the Gardeners Arms this weekend whilst passing through Oxford. I'm not sure I would have found it myself without having some one with me that roughly knew where they were going, make sure you take a map with you if you're not familiar with the area. The pub its self is really comfortable with a good selection of seating. Do be warned though that the food and drink served at the bar is separate from the kitchens and may not be vegetarian.

I was impressed by the choice of vegan food available, in fact most of the menu was vegan with a few vegetarian dishes. I had the vegan burger with tomatoes, onions, lettuce and mango chutney and my partner had the vegan tapas plate. I really enjoyed my food and the tapas plate looked amazing. It would have been nice to offer vegan mayo for the burger, it's not hard to find and would have completed the vegan options in my opinion.
It's not often that we are in the Oxford area but I would certainly recommend it to anyone visiting and I would go back again if I was in the area.

Pros: Good vegan options, nice atmosphere, good portions
Cons: No vegan mayo, hard to find, slightly expensive
tinkerbell
tinkerbell

Fab burgers

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2010

Fab place to grab a tasty bite whilst in Oxford.
We live in South Oxfordshire but travelling to try the food. Now visit quite regularly.
The kids love the veggie burgers and there is other options for the adults.
The thai curry was a bit heavy on the leongrass though

Pros: burgers, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: too much lemongrass in the thai curry, more seats indoors
pisceschic
pisceschic

Good vegan burger

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

I had the vegan burger wrap with mango chutney. The burger was good, but the wrap tasted stale and the chutney was too sweet and overwhelmed the sandwich. Next time I would get the burger on the regular bread and get the chutney on the side. It is a comfortable pub away from the downtown area.

Serendipity
Serendipity

Hidden Gem

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2009

The pub is a bit tricky to find without as a map, as it's nestled on a corner amidst a quiet suburban part of Oxford. However, the walk to the pub from the centre of town is very pretty, as you pass a few interesting sights along the way, and is absolutely worth the trek. The pub itself is not particularly glamorous, and initial first impression is that you are entering a regular "local" haunt - complete with typical kitch decor, regular clientele, and of course, the authentic English pub smell. However, while the place could certainly do with a makeover inside, we moved to the quaint garden, nestled amidst the trees, complete with the local pub dog.

The menu itself is not on a par with that of a huge establishment, but the choices are ample and indeed, vast enough to satisfy pretty much most palettes - including fussy children. Here is a quick recap of our meal:
- Veggie burger with mayo and mango chutney, and a basket of fries - the portion was huge but this youngster had no problem gobbling the lot down.
- Tapas platter - portion not huge enough for a really hungry person, but perfect for sharing as a starter or just as a very light meal.
- Sage and red wine mushroom pie - very large portion, served with fresh veg and potatoes, and absolutely delicious - totally recommended.
- Mexican chilli - portion relatively satisfying, very tasty, and served with fresh salad.

Overall, everything was served quickly, and the food itself was fresh, very tasty, and in large enough portions to suit most appetites. Give it a try - you won't regret it.

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Quaint
DJK
DJK

• non-vegetarian

What a delight!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

We visited this pub / vegetarian restaurant on our first night in England. The kitchen was closing at 9pm and we were running late, so we called ahead and they held the kitchen staff for a few extra minutes until we arrived. The service is warm and friendly; the food was outstanding pub comfort food -- vegetarian chili, mushroom pie, veggie burger, chips......and the overall pub environment was great. Highly recommended!

Pros: Service, Food , Atmosphere
Cons: None - Loved the place!
deerfold
deerfold

Gardners Arms - December 2008

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2009

It's been a few years since I was last at the Gardners' Arms (or Oxford), but the food's just as good as last time. Plenty for vegans (delicious pie and garlic bread), reasonable prices - just don't sit in the beer garden in the winter! And note the pub doesn't open until 1700 early in the week (I arrived at 1630...)

Pros: Good for vegans, Reasonably priced
Cons: A little hard to find without a map
jz
jz

An unexpected surprise

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2008

We don't come from the Oxford area, but have visited Oxford a couple of times over the past few years and always eat out here, thanks to the Happy Cow listing. The pub itself is a bit rough and grubby looking, but the food is surprisingly up-market both in taste and appearance.

happyharry
happyharry

Vegan Food in Oxford Pub

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2007

The Gardener's Arms is a great pub to visit. Most of the food served is vegan, although the pub and the kitchen are two different business, so not everything served at the bar, ie drinks and crisps are vegetarian, but everything from the kitchen is. Unfortunately the pub no longer serves the mushroom pie which was absolutely yummy, but lots of nice food anyway and they do a lovely apple pie and vegan ice cream!

Pros: nice staff, big portions, nice garden
Cons: smokers

Dear Owner and Manager of The Gardener's Arms: