CLOSED: The Garden Cafe - C...

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is around 70% vegetarian and vegan. Uses fresh vegetable grown in the owner's garden and from local organic farmers. Lots of salads, wraps, and grains with vegan dressings and sauces. Drinks are brewed with fresh fruits and herbs. The setting is out on the farm. Reported closed to HappyCow, Feb 2015. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic, Juice bar, Non-veg
4900 Kuawa Rd (Kauai)
Kilauea, Hawaii 96754
808)977-8371

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by sullivusb
babcocklori945
babcocklori945

Delicious food in a beautiful setting

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2014

I really liked the Garden Cafe / Common Ground. Their soups are so flavorful and comforting, and the food makes you feel full yet light. Highly recommended. I'm vegan & gluten free and would like to give it 5 stars, but I'm limited to four since the restaurant is not fully vege.

njhassinger945
njhassinger945

Very cute aesthetics!

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

They were nice enough to take our order four minutes before they were about to close! After a hard day of surfing, we were very grateful! They had a great selection of vegan and gluten free items and everything was yummy. The purple sweet potato fries are a must, they're da bomb!

FlorenceVincent
FlorenceVincent

Beautiful place

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

They Just squeezed us in before 3 pm. Had a beautifully created wrap and upside down pineapple cake. Good size portions. Very friendly even though they were closing shop. Gorgeous venue, very restful atmosphere.
The sign on the main road only says Common Ground, which is right at the end of the road.

Pros: Beautiful place, Delicious food, Friendly staff
Cons: Difficult to find

HermosaSteve
HermosaSteve

cool place on a great island

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

Common Grounds serves food from 9 am to 3 PM and much of it is farm to table. I only had one meal there but can see myself returning the next time I am in Kauai. The menu is Vegan/Vegetarian/Organic and there is a good selection of all of them on the menu. The dining area is a large porch overlooking the gardens and is a really tranquil way to spend some time in Kauai. The beach is close by but not missed, because this place is a hangout that sells food. I look for vegan/vegetarian places when I travel (no one dies from bad broccoli do they?) and this place has become a new destination for me in Kauai. There are tables and chairs in the garden and people were enjoying their coffee and walking through the garden while I was there. Grab a book, but some lunch, and enjoy.
This is a very cool place.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 05, 2013

Pros: Vegan/Vegetarian/Organic, Tasty organic meat when you want it, No worries pace of life
Cons: In the middle of a field,, When Kauai beaches are so close by,, you didn't order to go...
karidehne
karidehne

Fantastic place

Posted on 10 / 10 / 2012

This restaurant was so good! My husband and I ate here two days in a row because we were so impressed. The portions were big, but most importantly the food was very well executed. I ate a GF version of their vegan burrito the first time - they had replacement corn tortillas to go with with rice, beans, and perfectly flavored veggies. The second time I had a beet and greens salad that was accompanied by a vegan caprese salad (homemade faux mozzerella!). For dessert I had the key lime mousse/pudding and it was really yummy. My favorite part of this place was that so many ingredients are sourced on the island - many of which are grown right next to the restaurant. And though I love a good vegan or vegetarian restaurant, this place fed my meat loving husband...and there's something to appreciate about that. The prices were very reasonable, something my husband and I were not expecting. Halfway through our trip we relocated to the south side of the island; otherwise, we would have eaten at The Garden more.

Pros: Fresh, local ingredients, Friendly service, Exclusively outdoor seating
Cons: With outdoor seating comes bugs
jamber79
jamber79

Pretty place

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

They only have outdoor seating which is covered luckily. The grounds are very beautiful to look at. They had a good amount of options, but the frittata I ordered wasn't anything like a frittata and I didn't enjoy it much. My husband liked his food and loved the hot sauce you pay extra for. We showed up for the 10:00 tour of the gardens and were told that someone didn't show up so we were out of luck which was disappointing.

sullivusb
sullivusb

Good food, helpful staff

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2011

We were here for brunch... The staff was very helpful in making one of the drinks vegan for us - they took the honey out of a mexican hot chocolate, even though it required remaking the chocolate sauce for the drink. For our meals we had "The Vegan" breakfast burrito and a Garden Bagel. Both were very good. The atmosphere was quite pleasant (seating is outdoors) and small gardens were located near the cafe which could be toured afterwards. This place is also called Common Ground and the road signage is for Common Ground.

Pros: Good food, helpful staff, nice environment
Cons: vegan options limited

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Garden Cafe - Common Ground: