The Friendly Toast -...

Serves meat, veg options available. Diner food with large all-day breakfast menu. Breads are not vegan, but that there are tofu scrambles, wraps and other basic vegan options. Owner is veg-inclined with around 1/2 of the menu being ovo-lacto vegetarian suitable. This location is open all hours on the weekend. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
121 Congress St
Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03801
603-430-2154

Open Mon-Thur 7am-10pm, Fri 7am-11:59pm, Sat 12am-11:59pm, Sun 12am-9pm.

First Review by tablemoonspoons
emmalm91
emmalm91

The Not-So-Friendly Toast

1 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2014

The friendly toast is actually pretty unfriendly. I stopped in last week to try their breakfast, but the employees were rather rude. I attributed their rudeness to the fact that the place was really busy and they were probably just under a lot of pressure. BUT after actually dining there, I realized that the employees are rude on an everyday basis. I had asked our waitress if she could make the falafel plate vegan, she said yes. She then asked me what side I wanted, so I asked for sweet potato fries. She advised me that the sweet potato fries were not vegan, because all food is thrown into the same fryer. When I asked her if that meant, then, that the falafel was, in fact, not vegan, she got all huffy and said that it depends on how "hard-core" vegan you are. And then proceeded to speak to me in a demeaning tone. I'm sorry, but there's either "vegan" or "not-vegan," nothing else! She basically pushed us out the door: our plates were taken away the second we took our last bite. The ambiance of the place was also pretty terrible - really trashy decorations and the music was so loud that you couldn't even hear what the person next to you was saying. I WILL NOT be dining here again, and would advise anyone who is vegan (or simply anyone who wants to avoid unwanted rudeness) to steer clear of this establishment!
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 03, 2014

Pros: Good tahini dressing
Cons: Rude wait staff, confused by what it means to be vegan, bad ambiance
Rochelle Fogg
Rochelle Fogg

New owners are not as veg friendly

3 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

No more veggie chili. Vegetarian burger has eggs. Falafel has eggs. Great tofu scramble and tofu wrap.

Pros: Great homefries, yummy tofu vegan wrap, good tofu scramble
Cons: menu is limied
passedout
passedout

Limited but Good

3 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

The vegan options on the menu mostly revolve around tofu scrambler. The breads aren't vegan but you can substitute it with a bagel or flour tortilla. I got the scrambler both days that I was there (without the cheese or veg. sausage). It was nothing outstanding, but it did the job.

Be sure to communicate well with your server and emphasize that you're vegan. One of the days they brought me egg whites by accident.

Pros: decor
Cons: long wait, limited options

veganamanda
veganamanda

Not much here...

2 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2012

I was excited to try this place, but the vegan options are totally limited. I was told there was only one option when I went, a stir-fry. Boring.

Cons: limited vegan options
sglcklch
sglcklch

Cool place

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

We walked by while looking for some dinner, got intrigued by the funky decor, checked out the menu, and decided to go in. Food was great, portions were pretty big. Not a lot of vegan options, but staff were knowledgeable and willing to substitute ingredients. Great place for veggies to dine with their non-veg friends.

Pros: yummy food, good portions, knowledgeable staff
xalexajay
xalexajay

Friendly Toast is delicious

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

I love this restaurant, it's so good for every meal. They serve meat but have plenty of vegetarian and a few vegan options. They are really nice, laid back and flexible, and are happy to change a menu item to make it vegan. All of their food is delicious, I highly recommend it.

unwesen
unwesen

Great place to eat

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2010

The staff know their menu, including what's vegan and what's not (e.g. their veggie sausages and bacon are not). Sadly after some asking, it turns out that the number of vegan options available are actually fairly few... though they're happy enough to modify existing dishes for you, so just ask!

Pros: friendly, knowledgable staff, flexible cooks, good taste+value
Suzanne
Suzanne

finally......

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

Finally a great place for vegetarian breakfast in NH! This restaurant has personality. Tons of artwork, interesting people and vegan and vegetarian food. "Kate's Tofu Scramble" was delicious! Toast is like 2 inches thick and tasty.

Pros: excellent food, location
Cons: offers meat, expensive
Vegan4Life26
Vegan4Life26

Hip but food isnt!

2 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2008

Very hip place. Cool loation and decor. After eating here i got sick. I don't think I would go back. Staff is very friendly though.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: greasy
Tom
Tom

Vegan Valhalla

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

We stopped in here twice a few weekends ago during an overnight in the area, and I have to say that their "Vegan Valhalla" wrap is one of the tastiest we've ever had. Delish!

• CDebusx3 CDebusx3

I personally didnt like the vegan vahalla

tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

hip times ten

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2008

this place wins as the hippest in NH. its decor and originality make it worth a visit. this is a diner style place where college kids and the young and old go to be seen as much as for the food. there is lots of stuff for veggies and a little less for vegans but its still worth checking out and that little bit of extra oil and grease makes everything yummy. the wait staff is in the know about vegans so dont be afraid to ask. if your just passing thru the area its only about 5mins off I-95 in downtown portsmouth, there is a bull-moose music shop across the street worth checking out and the downtown has lots of galleries and stuff like that too.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Friendly Toast - Portsmouth: