The Fragrance of the Heart...

Younger sister cafe of The Fragrance of the Heart by the city hall. Nice interior and peaceful environment. Serves similar food to the other cafe, with some prices slightly higher here due to the location. Try the soups and curry. Made in-house Italian ice cream. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, International, Indian, Take-out, Delivery
GlasMagasinet, Stortorvet 9 (Møllergate)
Oslo, Norway 0155

Open Mon-Fri 7.30-19.00, Sat 9.00-18.00, Sun-Mon closed.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by feorag
liva
liva

Peaceful, beautiful and delicious

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2014

I love this cafe. The athmosphere is sooo peaceful, the interior is beautiful and the food is delicious. I think this is my favorite place to eat. Also: they have great juice :)
If - or when - you visit Oslo, you should definitely give this place a try.

Pros: Nice athmosphere, Great food, Friendly staff, even on busy days
LauraE.MercerTraavik
LauraE.MercerTraavik

always a treat

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

Excellent vegetarian cafe with very good vegan alternatives. The soups are delicious as are the daily specials! Today we also had a cherry apple pie and it was scrumptious .

Pros: food , location , service
Gudrun
Gudrun

A nice place for vegetarians

3 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

This vegetarian cafe is located on the ground floor of GlassMagasinet, a beautiful upscale department store right in the city center of Oslo and in walking distance from the central station. The cafe is closed in the evenings, so it is not the place to go for dinner - a pity, seen the limited vegetarian and vegan options in Oslo.

The place is mainly ovo-lacto, they have soups, sandwiches, wraps, cake and some lunch dishes. When I asked for vegan options I was first told there was only soup, but then the staff started to discuss with each other and in the end it turned out they had a vegan risotto and a cake. I felt a bit awkward since the food was not labelled as vegan and the staff was obviously not informed about the ingredients of the food. It was tasty, though, and it really seemed to be vegan.

I believe the place is great for vegetarians (and omnivores) who are in the area to have a quick tasty bite. As a vegan I'd wish they had more vegan options, "vegan" labels and better informed staff.

Pros: tasty food, location
Cons: not clear what is vegan, pricy
lotsofchickpeas
lotsofchickpeas

Not recommended for vegans

2 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

Nice place, nice staff, nice prices. However, the only reason I go there is because there aren't really any other places that serve a range of vegan foods in Oslo. I always ask the staff if something is vegan, and I have had it happen twice now that I've eaten something, come back and asked again and a different member of staff has told me it's not vegan. This is the last time I'll be going to this place. I would definitely recommend avoiding for vegans unless you want to get them to check every meal with the kitchen.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff
Cons: Inexperienced staff, Have been told non-vegan food is vegan
Happy Helouise
Happy Helouise

OK

3 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

A bit pricy. 77 kr for a slice of vegan pai that consists most of potatoes, broccoli and mushroom. Not heated properly but with and ok taste.

Pros: vegetarian, vegan, central location
Cons: pricey, boring, hot food served cold

teafour2
teafour2

Lovely but small

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2012

This was a very nice place - bottom floor of the shopping centre - but only don't expect a huge choice for vegans. When we went there they only vegan option was hummus salad wraps and some biscuits. The wraps were very nice, but more of a quick lunch stop than a restaurant.

Pros: Nice food
Cons: small
mcrvegan
mcrvegan

A dissapointment

2 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

Although I don't like to criticise vegan places where veggie food is not common the food here was not worth the money. I had a slice of vegan shepherds pie which was Kr79 & came with no sides. This was heated up in the microwave but cold inside when it arrived, although it was tasty. After eating this for a while I then had a mouthful with a small piece of grit in which the counter staff said is often found in lentils (?!). My dining companion had a nice slice of spanakopita and tchai tea. All together this came to Kr226 - the best part of £30, although of course Oslo is super expensive.

Friendly staff and nice atmosphere.

Pros: Staff, Decor, Taste
Cons: Quality, Food temperature, Limited vegan options
manooh
manooh

Prefer the other Fragrance of the Heart

3 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

This cafe is located in a shopping mall, therefore usually more crowded and less relaxing than the other cafe. Also, the vegan food selection seems to be better at the cafe next to town hall. Still good to have a vege place to central though.

CatB
CatB

Good food and friendly staff

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2010

I always go here when in Oslo. Good quality veggie food and friendly staff. Great place for a solo traveller to eat and feel comfortably alone in.

Pros: healthy , good value, friendly staff
Care+Adam
Care+Adam

Lunch, Day 4

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2010

Our first trip to this location (after some excellent soup at the City Hall location two days ago). We had the vegan tomato soup, hummus wrap and a soy chai late (only place in Oslo that we have found with soy milk as an option so far). All quite good. A pretty limited vegan selection, but by that point in the trip, we were just happy to find something that we could eat! Great ambiance and very kind English speaking staff.

maibi
maibi

So delicious, friendly and also beautiful interior

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2010

I have to say WOW about this café. The place is often quite busy but the staff is extremely friendly. There is a special feeling in this place, very nicely decorated, calm music and of course delicious food, cakes, coffee etc.
When you visit Oslo you should definitely get "the Fragrance of the Heart" experience.

Pros: staff, food , beverages
feorag
feorag

A pleasant surprise

3 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2009

This cafe is located by the entrance to the GlasMagasinet department on the corner with Møllergate, by the large ochre-coloured half-timbered building.

A department store cafe is never going to score highly on atmosphere, and I think they'd done pretty well, but it still felt like eating in the staff canteen of a New Age hobbit hole. Decorating a vegetarian eaterie with dangling slices of seashells was also a little odd.

Fragrance offers a set menu at lunchtime for 99Kr, which is outrageously good value in Oslo. It consists of a small bowl of soup and the curry of the day. The soup was lentil, and was thick, rich in flavour and warming. The curry was probably curry by Norwegian standards, but I would have called it a pea and mushroom stew. There was no detectable chilli in it, though the rest of the tomatoey sauce was rich with other spices, and contained plenty of coconut. It too hit the spot on a frozen November day.

Dessert is not part of the set menu, but knowing the odds of eating anything substantial for the rest of the day were quite remote (I was about to head off to the airport for a two-leg journey home via Schiphol), I had a slice of the wholemeal apple pie. There did not appear to be any vegan cream options to go with this, so I had it on its own, but it was moist enough. The coffee is also good, and the meat-eating partner was more than satisfied with the omelette baguette which was apparently much larger and more filling that it appeared.

Pros: Dead central, good lunch deal
Cons: odd atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of The Fragrance of the Heart - GlasMagasinet: