Small restaurant tucked in a residential square in Lisbon's historic Mouraria neighborhood. Lunch is a simple menu, and dinner is a weekly menu served in the way of tapas with a main dish as well. Meals are made in an open kitchen. Groups need to book ahead. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Portuguese, Western, International

First Review by chrdold
Atman
Atman

Love, love, love.

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

Everchanging menu with the evergrowing genious and love of the chefs. It's a wonderful place to be. To be yourself. To love and be loved.
Many times i have been there and i shall return many more. The food is allways delicious and surprising.
It's a good place to convert omnivores - Wololo!
Amazing bathroom acustics!
Highly recommended :)
Love.

Pros: Excellent food., Friendly staff., Great ambiance.
Cons: It's not open for lunch,, You can't take the chefs home., Orders may take a while if it's full.
turnipb
turnipb

best of lisbon!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

this is what you want! seasonal+creative, well balanced flavors. only the desert (2 cakes) was a bit boring.

Pros: seasonal, creative
Cons: desert
Sassyvegan
Sassyvegan

Delicious!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2014

Truly delicious food. With my friend, we shared the soup, 3 tapas, a main and a dessert. We were absolutely stuffed! Staff is wonderful.

Pros: Food, Staff
Cons: Uncomffortable seats

hl_morrissey
hl_morrissey

lovely

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

I had the three tapas, a glass of wine, the dessert and a pot of tea and the bill
came to 15€ which I think is entirely reasonable for the quality. Even though I dined alone and the restaurant had people waiting (and eating) on the steps I was not rushed at all by the waitron. This was a really nice experience: the place was atmospheric and the food was imaginative and delicious.

Pros: lovely staff, food, atmosphere and location
Cons: no way of knowing prices until the bill came
MMCM
MMCM

stairs to paradise

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

Romantic location in Alfama, friendly international staff, and... excellent food for reasonable price (didn't you count the cows?)!

It is, inevitably, becoming famous: so, make sure you reserve your table (unless you are ready to have dinner sitting on the square stairs, that is what I recommend, by the way...)

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great location
HillaryChu
HillaryChu

A Hidden Gem in Mouraria!

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

These kinds of places are hard to find. Just from watching the staff work, you can tell that they are passionate about what they do.

I came in by myself. The menu for the day included one soup, 3 kinds of tapas (2-2,8 euros each), and a main course. I tried everything but one tapa because I was afraid I would be too full. Everything was soooo good!

The corn soup had great texture and flavor, the seitan chorizo tapa was a burst of flavor, the broccoli tempeh salad redefined what a salad was, and the udon...dare I say it? The udon may have been better than my grandmother's (I'm so sorry, gam!). Not only did everything taste good, but the presentation was beautiful as well. I also had a chocolate mousse, cream, and roasted plum pie that was not at all overbearing yet completely satisfying for my ever-present sweet tooth. I was already full after the soup/tapas/main, but I felt dessert was a must. It did not disappoint!

I read another review saying that the portions are small. I am from the USA, so I did think they were comparatively small. Still having not eaten for the 6 hours and been on a bike tour around the hills of Lisbon, the amount was perfect for me especially since I am not used to eating so late at night. If you have a big appetite and are looking for cheaper food though, this may not be the place you're looking for.

The Food Temple is a place that takes pride and passion in preparing their food and their work. There is a lot of love that goes into making the food. This isn't a place to adopt the philosophy of more value for your money, something that I have so commonly seen in the US.

Lastly, my server was extremely friendly and it seemed as though they spoke mostly English between one another. So that was great for me because I don't speak a wink of Portuguese! :)

Pros: Beautiful, delicious food, Passionate & friendly staff, Daily Menu, fresh ingredients
Cons: Not cheap but not super expensive
TofuCelt
TofuCelt

If only I could give it 1*star......

2 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

I have travelled around the world to many places and this has got to be the most robbed that I have ever felt to date. Unfortunately as HappyCow do not allow us to give lower scores for vegan/veggie places, I am forced to give this place an undeserving 2*stars.

This place is extremely difficult to find (and I am quite good at reading maps) and there are no signs down the many tiny alleyways indicating to you which way to go. The place itself has a lot to be desired. Why do people, even other vegans, think that all vegans/veggies want to eat in scruffy looking places?

When we finally found the place, the waiter was a lovely friendly guy who explained everything to us in english. However, there were only three starters and one main. As we were starving, we ordered all three starters and one main each.

When it arrived we were in disgust by the size of everything. We may be vegans but that does not mean we eat 'bird-food'. We love our grub just as much as anyone else. The proportions were minute, not even enough to feed a small child.

After finishing the 'starters' (more like tasters!), we awaited our main, saying to one another 'Let's hope that the main isn't as stingey as the 'starter'.' It was. It barely filled us up. It wouldn't have even filled a young child.

We don't usually have deserts, but as we were still hungry, we decided to have a desert each. When the waiter came with them, we had them down our gobs in just two bites. They were ridiculously small.

As we waited for the bill, we jokingly said 'I'd say it's about €20, but knowing our luck it will be as expensive as €30.' It was a shockingly €44. I felt sick to the stomach. I never felt so robbed in my life. They even charged us for the teaspoon of oil that accompanied the bread.

The whole place is a joke. And it is places like this that make me angry and embarrassed to bring non-veggie people too, especially considering how cheap veggies are in Portugal. They must be making a 200% profit in this place. Yet another veggie place taking the piss out of veggie customers. How can we convince other people to turn veggie when this is the kind of rubbish they get?

When we left this place, we left in a bad mood, ruining the rest of our night, as we couldn't forget how we were robbed. In fact, we were still hungry after the visit that we had to even go and get a few churros to fill the gap.

If you are someone who hates to be robbed, avoid this place. It's a shame to the veggie world. Never again.

Pros: Friendly waiter
Cons: Way over-priced, Minute proportions, Dirty lookin place
JasmijnBoonstra
JasmijnBoonstra

loveley, tasty food!!

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

2days ago we went here for a late lunch. The food was great and healthy!! It is a loveley small place in the centre of Lisbon!! People are great. Price of the food is quit good. For under €30 we ate for 2 persons. Incl drinks, dessert and a starter..

thomas_b
thomas_b

For us the best in Lisboa

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

The problem of this restaurant is: They put their banner/outdoor advertising not for the door until they are open! The map is right - it is a blue door. When they are open there is a glazed tile with "The Food Temple" on it.

When you had luck and you entered the restaurant :) you can enjoy very excellent and interesting meals. The atmosphere is very friendly, they have good music and can see the cook cooking. She was always singing to the music and had fun.

If you are in Lisboa don't miss it. :)

psysof
psysof

Lovely place

4 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2014

Excellent small and cosy place offering one different menu every day (one soup, one starter, one plate, one desert).
There's no menu and you never know what you'll get but everything's fresh and made with love :) You can actually see the girls cooking in the kitchen and it feels like you're just a member of the family or friend sitting in the dining room and watching them cook.

Pros: Food Quality, Nice ambiance, Friendly staff
Cons: Didn't find any
heuschrecke
heuschrecke

A must for vegans in Lisbon!

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

Wow, what a fantastic place!
There is just a tiny menu (which I like because it means everything is fresh) but we tried most of it and it was simply delish. Simple and fresh ingredients perfectly prepared. Even my dad, who is very skeptic when it comes to vegan food, loved it.
The open kitchen and the nice decoration give the place a cozy atmosphere.
The only negative point is that it's very hard to find and we needed the help of some locals to guide us there.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere
Cons: hard to find
itsjustnesS
itsjustnesS

Lovely Place, Tasty food

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

Dined there today for the first time and I must say it was a very nice experience.

It's small and cozy, very relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.
It's a typical tapas bar, with the option for a main course and it's a fully Vegan place so for me it was great, no need to ask about the food=). Despite being a fully Vegan place it just feels natural and homely, it doesn't try in any way to shout out this fact, which i really liked. This place made me realise some places try too hard to feel vegetarian if that makes sense.
There's not much variety but the menu changes daily, as it's written on a chalk board. However the small variety made sense to me, as it all feels like going to a friends house for some amazing food, so you eat what you get.

The food was delicious. A mixture of homemade with the familiar tapas feel of a good portuguese neighbourhood joint. I had a very good roasted tomatoes pie with a crust that is worthy of note.

There were two people behind the counter (which is an open kitchen that takes up about half of the space) and they were both very friendly. In fact I found myself talking to them as you would when meeting friends. They told me they also make themed meals and I'll be sure to try it soon.

The place is located in the old part of the city (one that not a lot of people get to see when visiting) in the small alley streets of the old part of town. Yet, if you're following a GPS it is surprisingly easy to get there by car, and I assume it should be the same by foot.

The price is far from competitive but I found it a fair moderate price.

Overall I strongly recommend you to try out this place if you're in Lisbon.
Delicious food, good homey atmosphere and you get to walk the alleys of the old part of Lisbon. =)

Pros: DeliciousFood, Great Homey Atmosphere, Very Friendly Staff
Cons: Small Variety
AlessioPescanti
AlessioPescanti

great food and great hospitality

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

Restaurant is warm like an house and people are friendly.
Food is great and price is fine.
I will return for sure

elrujo
elrujo

THE PLACE TO GO

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

I gotta say a great place with delicious food.
Nice and small, it gives you a homely feeling and you can see how your food is being prepared freshly in front of you.
Definitely worth visiting.
Friendly warm people are there to serve you.

Pros: Great food, warm people, homely vibe
Cons: during winter a bit cool , menu variety can be bigger
phillygirl79
phillygirl79

So delicious!

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

I just got back from eating here, and it is delicious! In a country that's cuisine is about as not vegan as it gets, this place is an oasis. It's nice that the dishes maintain the Portuguese flavor, though, so I feel like I'm still getting to experience the local cuisine. And, boy! Did I ever experience the local cuisine here! After getting by on nothing but French fries, bread, and rice at other places, I was ready to eat! I did each of the three tapas dishes, olives, bread, soup, the main course, and the cake, and all were fabulous! I took pictures of all of them for you to see except for the cake because I wolfed that down too quickly :(

Anyway, this place is super cool and quirky on the inside, and the owners are great. I see a lot of people saying the place is hard to find, but as of January 2014, Google maps is now correct. I also posted some pics of where you should turn if you're coming from the Martim Moniz Metro stop. It's just a very short walk from there up some very cool, twisty streets. Keep your eyes open, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your meal here! I know I did!

Pros: Great vegan food, Inexpensive, Cool owners/space/location
DanimalPanda
DanimalPanda

original, unique, delicious

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

such a warm friendly place, super delicious food. I LOVE IT! will be back to lisbon for this place, for sure. look for the fado guitar, then ask again for directions. its off to the right and then look for a green lantern. definitely a worthwhile treasure hunt... magical place.

Pros: genius meals, complimentary flavors you wouldn~t think, cozy atmosphere
xeschx
xeschx

Best meal in town

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

I dont't like to lose to many words: it's a real great restaurant and you really should visit it if you enjoy delicious vegan food and very friendly staff.
Don't give up looking for it, it could be a little hard to find it, but it's worth it!

Pros: awesome food, friendly staff
Cons: hard to find, portions could be a little bigger
oddthumbs
oddthumbs

Hidden gem

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

Our first night in Lisbon, we went out on foot searching for this place. I'd read that Google Maps doesn't have the right location, so we used the Happy Cow map. It's close, but not quite right. We wandered around until we found it quite by accident, only steps from where we'd been. Basically, instead of taking that last right into the courtyard, take a left. You'll see a place with a green paper lantern hanging out front (at the top of a slight incline). That's the Food Temple. We ate here twice during our trip and both were five-cow experiences. The food and the service are top-notch. The surrounding neighborhood is super charming. There was a Fado celebration going on at Fado's Corner, so we had some music to listen to while we ate. We were utterly charmed by this place, it's people and their neighbors. It's all vegan, which is great, too. This is a "must" if you're visiting Lisbon!

Pros: Delicious Food, Charming Neighborhood, Friendly Staff
Vegan since 1990
Vegan since 1990

Amazing Little Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

My husband and I are vegan (23 years for me, 22 for my husband) and we love finding all vegan restaurants. We were thrilled to find this one. Alice, the woman who cooked for us is so friendly and welcoming. We had an amazing meal, which we saw prepared. The dessert was out of this world, a rhubarb chocolate mousse. I am not a soup person, but the soup Alice made was truly the best I have ever had--a red pepper with chipolata soup. This restaurant is hard to find, yes, our taxis was lost for a long time even with a telephone call. However, you can get there and it is sooo worth it. Please make the effort and do not give up. Make sure you get a print out of the map (we did not have one) and the phone number (we did have it). One we were finished out meal, Conor, the waiter walked us down to the taxi stand and the square was right there (had we seen this before, I do not think we would have had such difficulty).

Pros: Delicious, amazing food , Wonderful people, Amazing value
Cons: Hard to find--you need map and phone #
Grazer
Grazer

Oooo yeah!

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

Vegetarian? Vegan? Go.

This wasn't a meal, it was an experience.

I had to think twice when they said it was €15 to eat here on Sunday evening, but hugely grateful I entered. A wonderful memory. And the food was very good too.

Pros: Authenticity, Passion , Personal
Cons: We could have just been very lucky
matrosin
matrosin

What a great place!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I'm really ethusiastic about the food temple and I really appreciate what they are doing. It is a small place, really, really hard to find. (So make sure you check it on the map before!)

Just a few options for food- but thats totally okay, because you feel that every person in there is totally behind healthy, delicious, quality food. So a few options- but great options. Freshly made the kitchen is actually in the sitting room. A light, lovely atmosphere and very friendly, funny staff (english spoken). Also great music.

I have to point out the great carrot-ginger cake I ate at both times I was there. One of the best carrotcakes I have eaten so far. Super fluffy and great, interesting spiced. They know what they are doing and I appreciate it a lot. Thank you.

Pros: food & cake
Cons: hard to find
BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Authenticity at its best

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2013

The restaurant is located in a small street near the Alfama district.
I loved the fact that it was written nowhere that the place was entirely vegan; I think it would probably attract more people.
The place is quite small and you can watch the cook cooking right in the middle of the restaurant.
There were only a few choices in the menu but all of them including some typical Portuguese ingredients like "caldo verde" or duck rice replaced by seitan :-)
Only one dessert though which was strawberry ice cream
We had stuffed tomatoes as a starter and then the rice as the main dish, with one homemade ice-tea and one watermelon juice for...17€ for 2 people!!!!!!!!!!!
Highly recommanded

Pros: entirely vegan, price, nice place
Cons: only a few choices in the menu
hack_man
hack_man

Wow!

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

You can only dream of places like this. Set in a rough and ready part of Lisbon, this place is part of real life but when you get there the tranquil courtyard setting is so peaceful and serene. Yes, it took a while to find, we actually met a couple a few nights previously in Terra who said they gave up looking for it. I can kind of understand why. OK, here is how I would do it. From Martin Moniz Metro walk up Rua Cavaleiros until you hit the first main crossroads / junction. Take a right onto Rua Marques Ponte do Lima then another quick sharp right into a street (more like a passageway) called Rua Guia. There is only one sign for Rua Guia, you will have to look behind you to see it. Follow this narrow road down to the bottom and you will see a sign for Beco Jasmin at which point turn left and you will see the Food Temple. On the day of our visit, 4 September 2013 we had the spicy tomato soup which was out of this world and an absolutely oustanding shittake mushroom and tofu stir fry served with rice and rocket. It truly was delicious, if not breathtaking. I do not exaggerate. Expect to pay €2 for soup and €8 for main courses. The place is run by two friendly ladies who are so happy to see visitors from other countries particularly when you mention Happy Cow. Outside seating is basic but so tranquil and lovely in the courtyard area. A truly wonderful place, it's not flash, pretentious or elaborate. This is the Food Temple.

Pros: Great food, Nice setting, Friendly
P Deputy
P Deputy

Excellent food in typical settings

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

The place is actually not hard to find, you just have to be careful if you decide to ask for directions (or if you use GPS), as there are two "Beco do Jasmim" not very far apart from each other - you will want to go to the one in the "Socorro" area, not the one in the "São Cristóvão e São Lourenço" area. Once I got there, I was extremely pleased with the typical, unadulterated settings (I am from Lisbon myself). The staff were very nice and helpful, and I and my daughter decided to have Seitan with Rice and Mustard Sauce with Caramelized Onions. Everything was prepared to perfection and incredibly tasty. I will definitely return many times in the future.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 02, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday September 02, 2013

Pros: Great vegan food, Typical settings, Friendly staff
saul cups
saul cups

Great food, great neighborhood

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

Unlike some other reviewers, I didn't find the neighborhood to feel unsafe at all. It is definitely a residential area with an ethnically and socio-economically diverse population, but that doesn't make it 'dangerous'. I also found the restaurant without any problems whatsoever. Yes, it's located in a small (and lovely square) a few twists off the main street, but as long as you're following a map you'll be fine. It's also an easy walk from the main center (Chiado) of town.

Onto the food--I imagine the menu changes daily, it's also limited to a single main entree, a small selection of tapas, a soup, and deserts. I don't mind the small selection at all; everything I ate--in this case, I tried the three tapas, which was enough food for me--was delicious. These included a really nice soba noodle dish, a small slice of incredible pizza, and a slice of savory mushroom pie. My only complaint at all would be that the tapas dishes were very starch-heavy. I'd have enjoyed having a dish that was more heavily vegetable and / or protein focused for one of the three tapas. But that's a small complaint. For dessert I had cheesecake (remember: everything is vegan!), which very much met my expectations--creamy goodness very reminiscent of New York cheesecake.

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 20, 2013

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Outdoor seating in a lovely square
Cons: Tapas dishes were starchy/carby
brohamand
brohamand

Best vegan meal in Lisbon

5 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2013

The Food Temple is a special sort of restaurant aspiring to be more than just a place to eat. It is a very cute little place with about five or six indoor tables, a handful of outdoor seats, and an open bar kitchen. In many ways, it feels as though you've walked into chef Alice's home. When your food arrives, it will be as if your mother made you a home cooked meal, except she learned how to make awesome vegan food since the last time you saw her.

This small community joint is full of locals who come because they know the always changing menu is one that will entice them and make them feel warm inside. Pictures on the walls show that Alice has had community workshop days with local children, making sure she gives back to the neighborhood that has welcomed her. As a Canadian, she is fluent in English, so no problems there.

The only real con, as others have said, is the tough to find location. No worries, the happycow map is spot on. Google maps has some trouble with this alley address, but Bing maps found it without problem. Get to the Martim Moniz metro, then head up Rua Cavaleiros (as others have mentioned this is a little sketchy, so keep your wits and avoid dressing/acting "like tourists"). Take your first right at the top of the hill, then an immediate right again onto Rua Guia--this does not feel like a street so much as a neighborhood plaza, and there is only a street sign if you turn around, so it's easy to miss. Walk across the plaza to Beco de Jasmim, turn left, and it'll be on your left. Not hard to miss once you're in this alley/street.

Overall, a fantastic place, fantastic food, great prices, and one I would highly recommend all vegan and veggie visitors check out!

Pros: Awesome food, Local/non-touristy
Cons: Sketch neighborhood, Smaller portions
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Like a needle in a haystack

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

Near impossible to find and you might have to go through a few less than comforting alleyways at night. Don't trust google maps as it takes you somewhere else. Most of the locals I asked had no idea where this place was and it finally took a policeman to help me find it. (Said policeman recommended I hide my camera while walking up there because of the type of neighbourhood.)

But when you get there it is worth it. I had a celery soup which was probably the best I've ever tasted. They had a chorizo/potato dish that was so good I ordered a second. The kitchen is open which is great and it seems to be run by interested people.

All in all very nice.

Pros: All vegan, Interesting food, Tasty
Cons: Hard to find
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Worth the hunt

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

The Food Temple is a charming recent addition to the Lisbon vegan scene for which as far as I can tell is just coming to life. It's a small cafe located a short walk up a hill from the center and can be quite hard to find so make sure you draw out detailed directions beforehand! This is not their fault but a simple reality of Lisbon itself. It's a small rotating menu from week-to-week.. I had a few of their tapas sized items however there was a main dish and dessert which I never got around to trying. But for starters was a garlic soup.. yes, garlic soup. Very unique and quite strong but I happen to like garlic a whole lot so it was no problem for me. Next I had an eggplant and seitan dish along with fried rice and tofu which I think was the better of the two. Both were nice and had good flavors though! It was a rather quiet Sunday evening so I had a chance to chat with the proprietors who were just as charming as the restaurant and food. They're definitely onto something special and I hope to see it grow sooner than later. I'll definitely be back next time I visit Lisbon.

Pros: great food, cool people, fairly priced
Cons: location
BanjoGirl
BanjoGirl

Fabulous experience

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

My husband and I visited this restaurant recently during our trip to Lisbon. The address was confusing, there are two streets with the same name, I think. This one was near the square, and tucked into a very residential neighborhood. GPS found it, and even though we wandered a bit to find it, it was VERY worth it. They encourage you to call for directions if needed.
The tiny kitchen is in the middle of the very intimate restaurant, which has about 5 tables. It is fun to watch the chef, Alice, make the food. The waiter was extremely friendly, and spoke English extremely well. Our food was great- there are 4 rotating (and unique) tapas and 1 main dish to choose from. Very reasonably priced. My husband and I shared 3 tapas and the main dish along with a few beers, and it was the perfect amount.
I am sad I don't live in the area and won't have the chance to become a regular at this restaurant...

Pros: great food, intimate and unique setting
Cons: Restaurant can be difficult to find
thomas.zimmermann
thomas.zimmermann

excellent

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

Great food. Nice and lovely service. All vegan. Sort of hard to find. If you have trouble finding them just call them.

Pros: food, service, area
TiagoOliveira
TiagoOliveira

a really nice and brand new vegan restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

I really recomend this small and cozy restaurant for everyone who wants to have some really nice snacks in one of the most emblematic neighborhoods of Lisbon. Other things that make this restaurant unique is the concept of vegan "tapas" and the sympathy of the staff.
Oh, and this is one of the few (if not the only one) 100% vegan restaurant in Lisbon.

Pros: excellent food, good concept, good value
chrdold
chrdold

cosy place, good food

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

It took me and my friend some time to find it, but therefor it is just a wonderful atmosphere on the quiet little space with outdoor seating. The food was good, we were both happy. The only thing I didn't like was that most of the dishes were adaptions from meatdishes.

Pros: good food, tapas, cozy
Cons: too much fake meat dishes

Dear Owner and Manager of The Food Temple: