The Floridian

Serves meat, veg options available. A synthesis of down home Southern comfort foods and lighter, healthier dishes, with some vegetarian choices. Focus on local and sustainable food sources. Tempeh can be substituted for meat in some dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Southern American, Non-veg
39 Cordova St
St Augustine, Florida 32084
904-829-0655 ?

Open Mon, Wed-Sun 11am-3pm, 5-11pm.

First Review by soopernish
rakesh_yadav
rakesh_yadav

Mehh....

2 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2014

I and my girl friend visited this place to grab a quick lunch. We ordered something called "chipwich". It was sort of a sandwich. It seemed that the chef just made it in a hurry. The salad was awful with stale veggies! Neither would I go there again nor would I recommend it to someone else based on this experience. The homemade potato chips were pretty nice though.

Pros: Nice ambiance, Nice homemade chips
Cons: Bad food
Soul2Soul Educare
Soul2Soul Educare

Best place for vegans/vegetarians/ in St Augustine

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

This restaurant was just awesome for us. Everything on the menu had a vegan/vegetarian option. Plus the selections were delicious. We always have a problem eating out because my husband is 90% vegan, my son is vegetarian and I am mostly vegan and gluten free - so to find a restaurant that accommodates all our needs is generally not easy but Floridian did that plus much more. They even had vegan, gluten free dessert too! I ate the Floridian salad with tempeh, my son ate the not-mac and cheese with tempeh and my husband ate a spicy melt with blackened tofu. Then we ordered a vegan, gluten free chocolate cake and carrot cake - everything was delicious and the service was excellent. I also tried their birch cola - interesting taste.

Pros: Lots of vegan/vegetarian options, lots of gluten-free options, service is great
Art-Helping-Animals
Art-Helping-Animals

So Wonderful It's Hard For Me To Go Anywhere Else!

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

I cannot say enough great things about The Floridian! I've been eating there regularly for all three years they've been open - it's my husband's and my favorite weekly date restaurant! The local owners Jeff and Genie are sweethearts, the food is fresh, from local farmers and they serve delicious meals made with in-season ingredients. The tempeh is amazing - it comes from a famous tempeh maker in nearby Gainesville. Most dishes can be made with tempeh or tofu, or fish, or chicken. The salads are huge meals with the most wonderful combinations of flavors. If you are vegan, check on the soup to see if it is made with a cream base before ordering. The desserts are incredible - my faves are the Key Lime Cupcake and the Sour Cream Apple Pie. You can bring your well-behaved dog if you sit in the outdoor seating in front or out back. Last but not least, a city ordinance was recently changed, so now the servers can bring alcoholic drinks to your table - we love the Orange Pilsner honey brown beer.

Pros: Delicious healthy food, Reasonable Prices, Supports the go-local movement
Cons: Loud and echoey, Crowded on weekend nights
no whey!
no whey!

Ask for eggless fried green tomatoes

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

I went back and forth on what i should order and just made a split second decision when asked. It was one of those situations. Too many things sounded amazing. We also ordered a sampler plate with fried pickles, fried green tomatoes, and bread with spreads. When we got the appetizer, I asked if the pickles/tomatoes were made with eggs in the batter. The server said they could have been made that way, if I had asked for them that way, and I knew it was my mistake for not asking when we ordered. But when our food came, she brought a couple extra FGT slices made without eggs, no charge. I was very grateful and they were very good.

I had the veggie burger, which is handmade with black beans and sweet potatoes. It was delicious! I have to mention that if you are only familiar with Boca Burger/Morningstar Farms veggie patties, these are a little different. Handmade burgers aren't firm patties, they're more like falafel in texture perhaps. I like them better in fact. Just a warning. ALSO! let the FGT(fried green tomatoes) cool before you bite into them. The inside is hotter than the outside.

Pros: vegan FGT, tempeh, handmade veg burger
Cons: can't order drinks at yr table(?)
Astonangel
Astonangel

Excellent

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

We went there twice for lunch and once for dinner - in a span of three days. Excellent service - always good to be recognized the second time! Good salads and really good vegetarian burger/sandwich options. Excellent fried green tomatoes. Not-so-Mac and cheese was so-so. Yummy apple pie! And a serious portion too! Outdoor seating is fun!

Pros: Knowledgeable staff , Small and cosy, Small choice but good
Doritto
Doritto

TEMPAH!!

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

Although it was super busy and we had to kick back drinking in the bar for a long while it was worth the wait. Great organic and vegan dishes on the menu. Everyone at our table enjoyed their meal...Definately going back next time i'm there.

Pros: whole fresh food, friendly staff, good menu
Cons: super busy, have to buy booze in the bar only. , city bylaw, big church with 100ft
Julie R
Julie R

LOTS OF VEGETARIAN SELECTIONS

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

This restaurant isn't vegetarian; they serve a lot of meat dishes. But, just about anything that comes with meat, you can substitute tempeh or tofu (and it's listed on the menu like that). The really good thing about it is, that the tempeh/tofu is cheaper than any of the meats (as it SHOULD be!). For example, I had the Reuben sandwich; I got it with tempeh and it was $9. The same sandwich with fish is $13.50!

The Reuben was very good - very tasty. It is listed on the menu as "blackened", but I don't like spicy, so I ordered it not blackened -- and they honored that request. It was a HUGE sandwich served with a very nice dark green salad w/ balsamic dressing. All the dishes I saw come out were big like mine; you definitely don't come away from here hungry.

I also had a glass of southern "sweet" tea and it was the best I have ever had! Very sweet and delicious. I only mention it so that you can treat yourself to a nice sugar high if you go here.

The service was very good - nice and friendly. It's an adorable little place in historic downtown St. Augustine.

I really enjoyed my meal here and will definitely be back. If you have friends who are flesh-eaters, take them here. There's something for everyone!

February, 2012 UPDATE: I visited the Floridian again and had dinner instead of lunch; it was an entirely different menu. I had the Florida Sunshine Salad (blackened tempeh over local lettuces, and winter greens topped with Florida strawberries, roasted sweet potatoes, toasted pecans, sweet grass blue cheese and pickled beets, tossed in a datil-strawberry dressing and drizzled with Florida honey). The salad was huge and delicious. The tempeh was perfectly grilled; very tasty (but I don't get it blackened). My friend had the Spicy Melt (blackened tofu with a datil-chipotle mayo, roasted bell peppers, tomato and fresh spinach on whole wheat bread with Wainwright Dairy's cheeses - she said it was very good and spicy! Both dishes were delicious! I love that this place has so much to offer to a vegetarian!

Pros: Tempeh / Tofu cheaper than the meats, Cute, quaint place, Reasonable prices
Eco-chic
Eco-chic

A Must See!!! Amazing Quality Food!!!

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

Very vegan and vegetarian friendly restaurant!! Food was absolutely delicious and everyone in our party of 8 was impressed with their dishes. Some of the omnivores in our group enjoyed fresh catch of the day seafood and locally made cheeses. I really hope this restaurant stays around for awhile in St. Augustine and I cant wait to go back again!!

Pros: Delicious High quality locally grown food, Friendly staff, Vegan/veg friendly
lynnkz
lynnkz

loved it

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2011

My husband and I visited recently, and got the Tofu N'Dumplings and the Tofu Floridian to share. I loved both, but my husband thought the N'Dumplings was like eating a big bowl of gravy and the Tofu Floridian was greasy... however he's from NY and I'm a multi-generation Florida native- if it's not a little greasy and covered in gravy, it's not worth eating! He did like it enough to go again, and plans to try either the Indialantic or the Banh-Mi Sandwich. I would get the Tofu Floridian again, or the Indialantic as well. The host and wait staff were very friendly and accommodating- no problems with our vegan requests, and the bartender was helpful and knowledgeable. (There are alcohol licensing issues which are strange but not a big deal- you can still enjoy beer or wine if you like.) I'll post again with reviews of our next meal here!

Pros: excellent, healthy, reasonable for the area, friendly staff
Cons: alcohol policy is strange
soopernish
soopernish

One of the best vegan meals I have ever had.

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2011

I went to The Floridian for dinner and ordered the tofu and dumplings. It is not a vegan dish, but it was easy enough for the kitchen staff to make it vegan for me, and it seemed like it was not an unusual request.

The tofu and dumplings were served with a salad of mixed greens, and the server suggested a rich, vegan, curry-tasting dressing which I savored. The main dish was marinated tofu and small, doughy dumplings in a creamy sauce. The biscuits it usually comes with are not vegan, so I was given toasted baguette instead, and it was filling and great, and one of the best vegan dishes I have ever eaten that I have not cooked myself.

I could not finish my whole meal. There was a vegan chocolate mousse cupcake dessert option, but I did not order it.

Pros: Large portions, Delicious, Server happy to give vegan modifications
Cons: Not vegan, Not very healthy

Dear Owner and Manager of The Floridian: