Sometimes called The Fix for Foodies, this is a mostly raw food cafe with a slow, casual atmosphere. It's located in the same space as an artisan gift shop. Most items are vegan or can be made vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, Hawaiian, Juice bar

Seahorsea
Seahorsea

Healthy Hipsters

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I stumbled upon this place when a friend wanted to go have Thai food in Nevada City, and I wasn't in the mood for lots of sugar and making sure my food arrived without fish sauce.

This place was even more hip than I expected, sharing space with a shop full of the type of clothes and jewelry you'd only find in California (or a festival).

I liked the menu choices, and the drinks sounded fun and innovative.
We ordered a "strongwich", a Tuscan pizza, a Vanilla-Durian shake, a "Montezuma" carob drink and I tried my friend's coconut mate drink.
The Strongwich stood out, with lots of flavor, the house-made kraut is nice (not spectacular). The sprouted bread it came on was quite dry, could have done without that, but the spreads on top were good. A bit too small though!
The pizza was ok. Nothing special.
Durian shake was amazing! Really worth it. And it should be amazing, for $13! sheesh.
The carob drink was a bit too strong of carob for my tastes, and the coconut mate was excellent!
Service was a little too-cool-for-school, and some people may feel intimidated by that.
All in all, in was healthy and felt good in the body. I left feeling good but not stuffed.
We got a chocolate to go, which was not very good (too many conflicting flavors in it). I believe that was the first raw chocolate I've tried that I didn't want to finish. Impressive for me!
Bill came to 50 bucks which was a bit extravagant, but this is that type of place, and the quality is good, so no complaints there!
I would go again, because I like to support this type of place, and now I know a little more what to order and what not to order...

Pros: organic, raw, mostly vegan
Cons: small portions, expensive
FoodAndLoathing
FoodAndLoathing

A neat place, mostly vegan, but only OK

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

This is a little macrobiotic/raw place called The Fix (or maybe it's called The Fix for Foodies, it's confusing) which, in my opinion, has a lot of problems, but has potential. It was not vegan, as they had dairy cheese and milk for coffee (as well as non-dairy milks). They also had terrible French press coffee that I actually sent back, something I never, ever do, because it was very weak although I let it brew a long while. Also, the little cup of raw sugar it came with had ants in it, which doesn't strike me as vegetarian.

We ordered a few things that were good, but nothing very special. The Tuscan Flatbread Pizza was tiny and most of the plate was covered with a salad, which is nice, but should maybe cost less. It would make a good light lunch, for, like $8-$9, but it cost $13. And it wasn't one of the greatest raw pizzas I ever had.

I'm so sorry to be mean to this place, though. I'm sure there are people who love it and to each his or her own. We also ordered their "macrobiotic special" which was really kind of a "macrobiotic typical," in that it's salad with quinoa and avocado. Now, look, that's cool! I love to eat that. But I guess I was expecting a little something stand-out and, well, special. I think it cost $10. I dunno, I guess I just think it needs work.

I'm so sorry to be harsh to this chilled out place, though. They're just trying to eat healthy whole foods. I do wish they'd go vegan. I wonder if my whole perception would have been different if it had been an entirely vegan place.

The artisan gift shop it shares space with is cool and had lots of stuff I thought was beautiful, but it also had a lot of feathers and leather, which always makes me frown.

Pros: raw, macrobiotic, mostly-vegan
Cons: slow, ants?, not stand-out

Dear Owner and Manager of The Fix: