The Fiction Kitchen

Re-opened Jan 2013 as a 50-seat vegetarian restaurant; previously a once-a-month vegan brunch service in Durham. Parties of 6 should call ahead. Colorful space, focus is on local produce. Sunday is brunch. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fusion

First Review by GreyhoundEmerson

Not Just A Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2014

Fiction Kitchen advertises it self as a Restaurant and Bar. Check them out on Facebook before heading over. https://www.facebook.com/TheFictionKitchen
You can often find a pic of their menu and get an idea of the specials for food and beverages. You will also find posts about near by Red Hat Amphitheater events which is a nice touch, especially for the out-of-towners.

How not to miss the meat

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2014

I recently became vegan and for my first restaurant, The Fiction Kitchen is it. The food was delicious, I really enjoyed it.

great Fake Meat

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

I'm not one of those vegetarians who typically go for fake meats, but I will say that fiction kitchen has really great selection. I really love the fried chicken because it's very flaky and delicious. I would stay away from the egg dishes because they are not unique here.

Pros: Atmosphere

From Vegan Brunches to Raleigh Dining!

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

I followed Fiction Kitchen around the Triangle area for their brunches. They have great, inspired menus and sincerely care about using local ingredients and involving & catering to the local community.

Their food is amazing. If you don't want overly processed food (to each his/her own!), ask if what they make is made with fake meat (e.g. the chicken and waffles that are vegan use Delight Soy, a local fake-meat production company). I recommend the grilled romaine salad, vegan cheese plate, any of their seitan, locavore dishes, and their alcoholic drinks!

Pros: Delicious, Beautiful, Inspired food, Great owners, Love the atmosphere
Cons: expensive, Not health food typically

Best In Raleigh for Vegans

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

Vegans, this is your must-visit restaurant in Raleigh! When they first opened, they were definitely more on the vegetarian side, but the menu has evolved quickly to include vegan options on everything (even the cheese plate appetizer). For dinner, I recommend the farmer's plate with seitan after the spring roll appetizer. If you go for Sunday brunch, get the vegan quiche with root vegetables, tempeh bacon, and a side of biscuits. I absolutely love this place; the only detractor is that everyone else does, too, so the waits can be long. Try to get there early. I wonder if they can put tables on the roof. ;)

Pros: Excellent food, Lots of vegan options, Fresh and local
Cons: Long waits

Amazing Experience!

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2013

We had heard great things about FK and tried to call ahead for a reservation. We were told that it was first come, first served. We made the journey to Raleigh and were not disappointed! It seemed like everyone got the memo about how great it was too- the place was full up and we saw a couple of groups have to wait a bit for a table. They also had sold out of a few of their specials! When the food came, it was very apparent why. From the appetizer (the tasting plate- wow tempeh pate and cashew cheese? yes!) to the main courses (I had the pulled "pork" and it was succulent and well spiced) to the dessert (all three choices were vegan- blueberry donuts, chocolate ganache pie, cheesecake with oreo crust and strawberry sauce), everything was WONDERFUL. After we ate, we all planned our next trip back asap.

The main drawback is it is fairly loud in the restaurant and the seating is pretty limited. Don't let that hold you back from having some of the greatest vegan food in the area!

Pros: Spectacular Food, Excellent Service, Unique Selections
Cons: Loud, Limited Seating

No Fiction! It's the real deal!

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

This menu is creative and takes you around the world. From the dirty South ("chicken" and waffles) to Asia, it is spicy, sweet and all other great flavors in between. Oh and the cocktails! Yes please.

Quirky and fun decorations abound and the staff is always awesome. Huge windows for awesome people watching in downtown Raleigh.

Pros: Great portions, Interesting vegan options, Great prices

Artistic imaginative delicious - casual atmosphere

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

For those of us who live in a town with only one vegetarian-only and no vegan-only restaurant(s), traveling, even a short distance to experience new veg-friendly places is always a treat.
When we went to Fiction Kitchen, we were just happy to be there. But what we found was a truly unique, inspiring meal. I have only been interested in veg culture for 5 years or so, but in all the years before I had never encountered chicken and waffles. I had the vegan version at FK and it was so awesome I want to go back, just thinking about them. Everything we had was superb! Sashimi Tofu, BBQ pulled “pork” with potatoes and seasonal vegetables, even the salad was incredible. Plus they have a great beer selection.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice vibe

Tasty

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

I must have arrived here at just the right time. We found parking around the corner right away, and the restaurant was not very busy yet. The staff were all very friendly. We started with the house soda, ginger for me and orange for J. The ginger was a strong, true ginger soda, just the way I like it. We had the tofu sashimi appetizer, which was good. For entrees, I had the chicken &waffles, and J had the BBQ pulled pork. J, a meat eater, said the BBQ had a real North Carolina BBQ flavor. The idea of chicken & waffles always seemed odd, but it was quite tasty. The sliced strawberries really made the dish. Then there was dessert. Truffle Pie with salted caramel. OMG, it was good. J had berry shortcake w coconut whipped cream. Also delish! Overall excellent meal.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Truffle pie!
Cons: Parking could be hard to find

Interesting and good vegan fare.

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

I've been to FK a few times now. Each time was pretty crowded due to limited seating, not good for serious conversations since you're pretty much sitting on top of each other and parking can be difficult.
Those negatives being said, i love this place!
Very good combinations and pairings. If you ask for a substitute they all do a good job of accommodating you.
Friendly staff. I like that they try to buy all locally and can't wait for the spring and summer menu.

Pros: Excellent food choices, Very fair value, Great staff
Cons: Crowded, Noisy, Parking

good

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2013

I wanted so bad for the only vegetarian restaurant in Raleigh to be good. The owners even went to Plant restaurant in Asheville for advice. (Plant is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to in my life.) I wish the advice they took from Plant was how to make delicious food because I can cook better meals in my own kitchen than this place. The food was alright, but they have not yet committed to using vegan sugar. I did not like the menu, it was as if they could not decide on a theme to their restaurant so they did a bit of everything. I would rather have less choices of food that is very good, rather than a bunch of choices that are just okay. The staff was great. The place is decorated well, with a full bar (yeah!). I would prefer a better location with more/any parking. My husband loved the tacos. The tempeh was not good at all. The tasting plate was pretty good. The biscuits and gravy soup was amazing! Pricing was fair, and serving size was fair also. I will be back, but I hope they continue to work on their menu.

Pros: nice staff, cute atmosphere
Cons: quality of food , no vegan sugar

New Favorite Place

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

I am in love with Fiction Kitchen. They have excellent vegan food at mostly reasonable prices. I took my non-vegan family and they were all very pleased with their dishes and want to return. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. I look forward to eating there as much as possible.

Vegan Haven in Raleigh

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned, the menu at Fiction Kitchen is vegan by default, with some dairy items optional. It's nice to not have to be the one to ask for substitutes for a change!

The food is awesome - haven't had a single "dud" menu item there, and I've tried a large percentage of the items available. My favorite is still the soy chicken and waffles; I get cravings for it pretty often now!

They also source as much as they can locally, so you can feel good about supporting a local business that supports local businesses. For example, they have a daily "Farmers' Plate" special that is made of items they find at the Raleigh Farmers' Market. It usually changes once or twice a week, so you know they're getting everything fresh from the market.

The owners are very sweet and the staff is very nice and attentive (maybe a skosh overly so, but maybe I'm just a curmudgeon -- that's highly possible).

Couldn't recommend this place enough! Just keep in mind that it's a small restaurant with limited seating, and can get very busy during peak times (6-8pm or so Friday and Saturday), and they don't accept reservations, so you should be ready to wait or go early or later than the dinner rush.

They are also a tiny bit pricey - not overly so, but the portions are smaller (read: reasonable) and the bill can add up very quickly if you're on a budget. Even so, I understand why they charge what they do, since they are so careful about their ingredients and are a small, local-oriented place. Very worth the price, just something to keep in mind so you don't get caught off guard.

Pros: amazing food, community-oriented, "default" vegan
Cons: long waits during dinner rush, a wee bit pricey

Vegan oasis

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2013

Although labeled "vegetarian", FK is really a great vegan restaurant (with a full vegan menu) that allows lacto-ovo vegetarians to add or substitute ingredients in a few instances.

My teen age daughter and I enjoyed all vegan fare, including jalapeno cornbread apetizer (delicious; not too spicy), waffles (a first for us at a restarurant) with fried soy chik'n fillets (tastier than store bought), and N.C. style pulled soy bbq (which was just amazing) and chocolage ganache dessert with salted caramel sauce (a great combination of flavors).

The food, atmosphere, and service were all flawless, and the prices were very reasonable. I look forward to coming back next time I'm in town.

My only negative about FK is that there is the possibility of cross-contamination in the kitchen from the dairy. I hope to see the place go all vegan once it is established longer and word gets around how great it is.

Pros: excellent food at a resaonable price, comfortable ambience, friendly service
Cons: dairy products

Great food that happens to be vegan!

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

One word. A.MA.ZING. I went with a Meetup group (Triangle Vegan Social Club), and I think another reviewer (on Yelp) was spot on when she said that this is great food that happens to be vegan/vegetarian.

The good thing about going with a group is having the opportunity to taste a variety of dishes. For appetizers, we had the spring rolls and the cornbread. Both were incredible. The rolls were served with a terrific spicy peanut sauce, and the cornbread had a nice kick from the fresh jalapenos. The spread for the cornbread was slightly sweet, providing a nice contrast to the spice of the peppers.

As far as entrees, I had the pulled "pork," and it was better than the Lexington barbecue that I ate as a child. The dish had a lovely smoky flavor, and just the right amount of spice. The "chicken" and waffles were tasty - a beautiful combination of sweet and savory. The sweet potato sushi and tofu sashimi - fabulous. And surprising...I didn't expect to like it as much as I did! The tofu sashimi was the star of the dish. Whatever the tofu is marinated in is absolutely divine. The Tinga tacos were also delish - the flavors of chipotle and cumin were discernible, and the crunch from the cabbage was lovely.

For dessert, I tried a couple of bites of the chocolate ganache pie with salted caramel sauce. It made me weak in the knees. Really.

MUST GO BACK AND TRY EVERYTHING ON THE MENU. Seriously. LOVE this place!
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 23, 2013

Pros: Amazing flavors, Great variety on the menu, Cool, funky atmosphere
Cons: They don't take reservations.

My New Favorite Eatery

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

I attended approximately half a dozen Fiction Kitchen Brunches in Durham. I excitedly awaited the opening of their new "permanent" home. I was slightly apprehensive because of my misunderstanding that the menu would be 100% vegetarian and partially vegan. As it turned out the menu is 100% vegan with the option on some selections to add cheese to convert the vegan offering to a vegetarian one. What a unique idea. It was evident that the staff had been well trained, were very knowledgeable of the menu and were very friendly and accommodating. No one even "freaked" out when I walked in the door and ordered a hamburger. They all even seemed happy when I "Remembered" that I was a Vegan.

I had the FARMERS MARKET PLATE. On the day I was there the plate was a lentil stew topped with battered and fried portabella mushroom slices. The dish was so delicious and plentiful I unfortunately did not leave room for desert. I will do better next time.

Parking may be a little difficult if one tries to get street parking. However, a public parking deck is located on W.Cabarrus Street about 1/2 block to the east. I think it would be helpful if this information was addressed directly on the Fiction Kitchen website.

Updated from previous review on Saturday February 02, 2013

Pros: Food, Staff, $ Value
Cons: Parking - possible

Dear Owner and Manager of The Fiction Kitchen: