CLOSED: The Duke Street Muse

Offers burritos and soups, with most dips and dressings made in store. APR 2014 REPORTED SHUT, CONFIRMED BY ITS WEBPAGE. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out, Catering

First Review by mrw
dsparakh
dsparakh

Tasty, eclectic food and super value for money

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

We were hesitant to try the place after reading the reviews, but it was convenient and open so we went anyways. And am I glad that we did! There are plenty of vegan options, and most of the vegetarian dishes can be made vegan. The food was freshly made and very tasty. And the prices were unbeatable. Six of us stuffed ourselves with a variety of items for $60, including dessert, taxes and tip. The owners are a very friendly Indian couple and the atmosphere is informal. Perfect place for a quick lunch or casual dinner.

Pros: Very reasonable prices, Large variety of dishes
Cons: Limited seating
Sarah P
Sarah P

acceptable

3 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2011

I ate here 2/22/11 with two non-veg friends. Most menu items were not vegan, though those that were were clearly marked. I had the vegan quesadillas, which were pretty good and consisted of guacamole, salsa & black beans between a wheat tortilla (you can also choose corn or white tortillas). I also had the special of the day- eggplant, kidney beans and potatoes over brown rice. The meal was tasty and the portion was enormous; a good value at $6. I added a small chickpea salad for $2 more. The dressing was tangy, and the salad was truly mostly chicpeas. The meal was healthy and satisfying, but not overly special. I was disappointed to not have more vegan options on the menu.

My (non-veg) friends each ordered burritos and a mago lassi, and each loved their meals. The coffee was not worth ordering; my friend didn't even finish the cup despite her caffeine headache.

I only had one meal in Kitchener and chose this restaurant because I saw it was rated "best veg" restaurant in the city. I wish I had tried one of the vegan restaurants instead.

Pros: great value; large portions, healthy, vegan options clearly marked
Cons: vegan options relatively few, lots of items with dairy cheese
Soviet Canuckistan
Soviet Canuckistan

Not amused

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2010

I've gone there a few times now. The food is edible that's really all I can give them. Twice I've had my ordered messed up and twice I've been the only person in there yet somehow the food still took forever to come to me.

tasreenca
tasreenca

OUT OF THE ORDINARY!!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2010

My husband, daughter and myself went to "The Duke Street Muse" for dinner on my husband's birthday and had an abolutely wonderful experience! I told Nina (I think she's the owner) it was his birthday and wondered if she had a dessert or something I could surprise him with. They don't generally make desserts, however she went OUT OF HER WAY to try and order a vegan dessert from bakeries in town and when she couldn't find anything she made us an extremely delicious vegan dessert herself! She also gave my husband a very thoughtful birthday card and had set a special table for us with a table cloth and candle. The food and service was excellent. We had the pine nut and chick pea salads, lentil soup, and vegan quesadilla - all very very tasty. We enjoyed the privacy of sitting downstairs which had a nice cozy atmosphere. Will definitely go back!!

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: none!
mrw
mrw

MUSE - an inspiration for good eating

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2008

Lunch today at The Duke Street Muse (Vegetarian Cuisine) was enjoyable. I had a vegetable Sandwich, Citris Pine Nut Salad and a bottle of water for $10. All ample, tasty and filling. The place itself was quaint, composed and had a homey kitchen atmosphere to it. The menu selection was quite varied so it would be wise to spend a minute going over the various choices. The staff were pleasant and tthe young lad serving energetic and engaging, a real Muse-in-the-making I presume. There are 4 or 5 seats on the main floor with a few more intimate seatings downstairs reminiscent of the 50's beatnik cafes if you are looking for a little more privacy. All in all I would surely visit here again to try other dishes and feel at home.

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Duke Street Muse: