The Dream Cafe - Uptown

Serves meat, veg options available. Serves brunch, lunch, and dinner. Has a few vegetarian-friendly options. Non-smoking. Nice garden seating available. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Southwestern, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by loranac

Pork

1 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

Yes, I assume that got your attention. I've been hearing how Dream Cafe has an amazing Sunday brunch and last weekend I decided to stop over. After looking at the menu, I was really wondering why Dream Cafe was even listed on Happy Cow. More than half of the menu items include a product from a pig. In the end I wound up ordering an omlette with vegetarian sausage (on the inside). When the order came I asked the waiter once again if it was vegetarian sausage and he told me it was. I started eating and thought it seemed quite flavorful but since I've never had real sausage in my life, I wasn't sure if it was just awesome faux sausage but decided to ask my waiter a second time. He told me once again it was vegetarian. When I had eaten all I could, I asked for a to go box. A few small pieces of sausage were still on the plate. I asked the waiter again if they were vegetarian. I may sound paranoid but the restaurant really seemed heavy on the animal products (and not really veg friendly), and I had some serious doubts. The waiter took the stray pieces to the kitchen and within a few minutes the manager was at my table expressing his regrets.

Pros: friendly waiter
Cons: dirty bathroom (no soap either), run-down restaurant, menu all meat

relax

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

My daughter, 1 year old grandson, and I ate lunch out on the patio today under the shade, with a fan and fountain. We are vegetarians (I try to stay vegan) and there was enough to choose from. The waitress was friendly and the food was good.

Pros: veggie friendly, quiet on the patio, good service

Thanks Dream Cafe for a lovely Valentine's brunch!

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2009

We didn't have a babysitter for Valentine's so we took our toddler (who will hardly sit at a table-- terrible twos) to Dream Cafe. It was a great compromise-- fine dining and lovely atmosphere for us, and a play area full of children for him. I was prepared, having read some other reviews, for the service to be slow or inattentive-- not so! It was quick, correct, and gracious. When we decided to eat inside, rather than on the patio, the server led us to a corner booth with a window, which was the perfect choice for us. (Quiet and easy to contain/entertain the little one.) He either had ESP or remarkable empathy. Or kids! Another reviewer commented that the restaurant seemed noisy, dirty, "Mommy Day," etc. Well obviously my orientation is different-- I was happy there were other children there. It was busy but not unpleasantly noisy.(although I am getting crankier in my old age about loud music in restaurants, Dream's was par for the course.) I found it spotlessly clean.

Pros: Food, Play area, Price/Value for money
Cons: Tiny cramped entry way, Loud pop music inside

Love Hate

2 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2008

Loved the food; hated the atmosphere. It looked like it was Mommy Day; kids were running around everywhere and there was food and trash all over the floor. The restaurant is in desperate need of repair...dirty walls, holes in sheetrock, etc. Everytime I think about giving it another try I wonder what the kitchen must look like. Also, the patio was not comfortable.

Pros: Delicious Food, Reasonably Priced
Cons: Dirty, Disrepair, Noisy

Dear Owner and Manager of The Dream Cafe - Uptown: