The Downbeat Diner and Lounge

Serves meat, veg options available. American diner and lounge run by indie musicians. Offers a vegan choice for every menu item; breakfast all day. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
42 N Hotel St (Smith)
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
808-533-2328

Open Mon 11am-12am, Tue-Thur 11am-3am, Fri-Sat 11am-4am, Sun 11am-11pm.

First Review by scarletp5
pickyguy
pickyguy

Very Good

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2014

Tried twice. Both times service was great and food was amazingly fast. Enjoyed the vegan burger and pesto scramble.

cmanturuk
cmanturuk

fun, friendly!

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

ordered a burger called carnivore in all vegan (veg burger, veg ham, veg bacon). it was good. the lychee sour mixed drink is a must get. this is best for late night dining and comfort food. go for the atmosphere and many veg options.

Pros: atmosphere, friendly waiter, vegan friendly
lotustummy
lotustummy

so so good!!

3 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

I had the BBQ "chicken" sandwich and can't say enough about how outrageously good it was! I am not a huge fan of fake meat, but this sandwich was so good, the sauce so so good, fries delicious and organic beers to go with it - mmmm! The atmosphere was funky and chill. Better yet - my friend, a Honolulu resident, had eaten there a tonne of times and didn't know you could eat vegan and veg and NoW she can get all her favs from there even healthier for the planet! Loved it!!

Pros: great sauce, delicious healthy down home food, nice atmosphere and music

DollyWiggles
DollyWiggles

The first place you should go to when in Honolulu

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

Seriously amazing.

I was able to eat here twice, first time I got the vegan Monte Cristo and the second time I got the vegan buffalo chicken(so spicy! Which I absolutely love!). I also tried the some of the food my family got. Amazing! Pretty much anything can be made vegan, even the desserts! The fritters are divine.

Super cute diner, with friendly staff and amazing comfort food. Complete with juke box and movies projected on the wall at night.

Pros: great food, almost everything can be vegan, atmosphere
Cons: that's it's not 100% vegan
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

I want this at home!

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

Note: This funked up diner is fantastic for vegans. It's unfortunate that this place appears under "veg-friendly" and might be missed by some because it really does rank with the best vegan offerings I've seen. The 4 star rating is happy-cows's limit for non-veg places but I'd give this place 6 stars if I could.

Our family came here a couple of times on our Hawaiian holiday and we had a superb fill of "junk food" that tasted just like junk food should taste - great! It was as greasy/salty/sweet/decadent as the real, ugly, deal. And being able to order almost everything off the menu and know it was vegan was a real treat.

(I think there may have been "healthier" options on the menu too but we skipped those; it was a holiday, right?)

When we were there - at a time appropriate for our young kids - it wasn't very busy but it looks like the sort of place that really lights up late. And Josh the host was most welcoming too.(He is an ex-vegan with a solid rights understanding and I reckon just waiting for the right nudge to get him back on track - give him one!)

I wish it was exclusively vegan but...

All-in-all: loved it; our best vegan find on our entire Hawaiian trip. Salivating right now thinking about it. I wish we had something like this locally because I'd be there all the time!

Mahalo!

Pros: Tasty!, The choice!, Cool setting
Cons: Wish it was exclusively vegan
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

totally rad hip vegan friendly diner/bar

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

Downbeat diner is a must stop for vegans in honolulu. Its in china town and has a tattoo friendly crowd. Every menu item can be veganized, but after reading about some mix ups we stuck with avo sandwiches sub avo for cucumber. The rootbeer float was good, too. Its a neat experience and not your average veg friendly place with a lot of personality

Pros: cucumber sandwich, cool alt diner vibe
Cons: parking lots are 5$
oya
oya

Correction

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

I don't often write reviews of restaurants on places like this or Yelp or whatever. In fact, I never have. But I am compelled to weigh in here on the Downbeat Diner's defense. Not that they really need it, the quality of the food there can easily speak for itself if you go there with a lick of common sense.

YES!! It is all actually vegan. You've got to be kidding me. A place CAN'T legally serve meat to someone when it's been advertised as vegan, to suggest anyplace would do that is ludicrous. They'd be shut down.

It is also really that good. Anyone who has been to a place that is really expert with mock meats can tell you that there are some places that do make you wonder.

Except for a few dishes everything on the menu has a vegan option and while I can't speak for the quality of any of the meat dishes, I can say, now having been back to the place a whole heap of times, that just about everything on the vegan menu is bang-up. Their house veggie burger is absolutely savory and makes for a perfect breakfast loco moko (one weird thing about the loco moko... instead of a brown-style gravy they use their house tahini gravy. I know, it sounds weird, but it's awesome, turns out much like a southern-style white gravy that is great with a dash of tobasco).

Yeah, it's a punk-rock diner, so the service is a bit, "so what the hell do you want?" But they're actually really nice people and besides, the jukebox is more than entertaining enough to occupy your mind if you're the sort of person who can't wait an extra five minutes before you start cramming food down your maw.

In short: I love this place. I've been in Hawaii for only a few years, bitching about how hard it is to find vegan food here the entire time. I'll be moving off island soon and I will miss Downbeat terribly, as I found it only all too late and it is one of the only truly awesome places on this rock to eat.

Oh: and they do movie nights. Dope!

Pros: The food, The options, The juke
Cons: The overwhelming options, Sometimes they open when they feel like
bandita
bandita

Good veggie burger selection

1 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2011

If I could give this 0 cows, I would. A steakhouse and McDonalds is more vegetarian-friendly then this place. At least there, you know what to avoid, and you can get a salad if nothing else. This place on the other hand is deceiving. I found this place on Groupon about a month ago, and was exited to read the vegan options, thinking this would be a good place to take on an outing with carnivore friends, so I bought 3. Yesterday, I was looking for a vegetarian restaurant near a movie theater my friend and I were going to. That's when I visited HappyCow and found Downbeat Diner and was reminded of the coupons I bought. I read the warning from the other reviewer, and I was hoping that was just a one time mistake that they learned from. I went there this evening with my friend and ran into the exact same problem as the other reviewer. Long wait, and real meat despite the vegan order. We ordered the meal to go so we could make the movie on time. When the meal arrived (by that time, we were already late for the movie), I asked if the boxes were labeled which ones were vegan. I had ordered 2 vegetarian sandwiches (1 for lunch tomorrow). They said no, but they could if I wanted to. We already had to wait an additional 5+min for them to put them in take-out boxes when they had forgotten it was for take-out, so I told them forget it, we'll just figure it out. They said definitely, because it'll be obvious just by the look. In the car while my friend was driving, I took a look at the "vegan" beef sandwhich, which looked and smelled very real. I looked at the 2 chicken sandwhiches (1 was supposed to be vegan) and they both looked exactly the same. Later, my friend tried both to see if he could tell the difference in taste. He said they both tasted exactly the same and very real. I know mock meats can taste/look very real, but I highly doubt that the cut/texture/size/taste would be exactly the same, especially after being told it'll be obvious just by the look alone. I've also had a variety of mock beef patties and have never seen one with such realistic texture and smell as the one I got here, so I'm very sure it was real. If you're vegan for animal purposes, don't bother coming here because it defeats the purpose. I'm sure if I went back, they would have taken it back and given me the correct order, but that defeats the purpose. I'm sure they'll throw away the meat you give back, meaning that your money just went to them to support the killing of animals

Pros: Good vegetarian selection, Friendly waitresses, quiet
Cons: Careless cooks (overlooks vegan orders), Long wait, Parking
scarletp5
scarletp5

great expectations + mix-up = sadface

2 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

I was really excited to come here. Vegan option for every menu item! Spent several minutes talking to the waitress about the vegan options, especially the veggie burger patty. Ordered a veg chicken sandwich and the veg Western burger (BBQ, onion, 'bacon', subtract cheese). Or so I thought. After a very long wait what arrived (via a different waitress) was the non-veg Western burger (beef patty, real bacon). Good thing I remember the distinct smell of beef. Sent it back and soon received a veg burger, but with no trimmings whatsoever! Also ordered the vegan apple fritters with ice cream. The ice cream was definitely vegan but after what happened with the burger, I couldn't help but have doubts about the fritters (which at least were delicious). The food was good (would have been better if I hadn't received a plain Jane veggie burger) but between the wait (they weren't very busy yet) and the mix-up somewhere between my spoken order and the cooks hands, I was pretty let-down and cranky. Oh, one minor saving grace was that I loved the music they were playing. It's like they secretly knew the content of my music collection.

Pros: vegan option for everything, tasty, good music
Cons: received obviously non-vegan food, multiple waitstaff per table = mix-ups, far from Waikiki

Dear Owner and Manager of The Downbeat Diner and Lounge: