A donut shop that also offers vegan cake doughnuts. Call ahead to check the day's flavors. more-less

First Review by spiceislandvegan
chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

great donuts, bonus on the vegan ones

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2014

A fantastic shop, we stop by whenever we're in the area. I'd give this place more of a 4 1/2 stars rating.
I've been told they have the best apple fritters (FYI fritter fans) and they are indeed very good, with more apple to dough ratio than other places, I'm not the best judge though as I don't often have them. The vegan donuts are very good, but not the best I've had, they're the cake variety and sometimes a bit on the dry side, maybe since they may sit there longer than the other donuts. The variety is mostly the different frosting flavor with the same two cake bases. At least they try to jazz that up and you can request sprinkle toppings on them. It's the other donuts, especially the fruit stuffed ones that steal the show and have the customers coming back for more. This place is never empty, and the staff is very sweet. I once bought a few donuts of both the vegan and non vegan varieties and when I chose the non-vegan ones she double checked to let me know those weren't vegan. I appreciated it and said yes, I just wanted to purchase a whole bunch for the occasion. Confession, I do prefer their regular donuts, and the overloaded fruit ones are really an indulgence that you have to share unless you're about to run a marathon. Still, despite the oozy creamy and super popular non-vegan flavors here, I like to support them since they do have that little vegan corner.

Pros: vegan options, kind staff, many many flavors
Cons: vegan donuts could be better, could have more vegan options
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Vegan Donuts in OC

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2013

I visited this donut place based on a recommendation of a friend. They are great cake donuts. I think they are the first in OC? I've been to Ronald Donuts and Voodoo Donuts. Their donuts are raised or yeasted donuts so they are not comparable.

These cake donuts are yummy too. There different flavors of glazes. I tried the strawberry, lemon, chocolate, and vanilla.

Not bad at all. All vegans in OC have been crazy getting them so sometimes they are not available. It is best to call first.

Pros: Local donut shop, Tasty cake donuts, Glaze flavors
Cons: No raised/yeast donuts are vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of The Donuttery: