A donut shop that also offers vegan cake doughnuts. Call ahead to check the day's flavors. Open Mon-Sun 24/7. more-less
17420 Beach Blvd (Slater)
Huntington Beach, California 92647

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by spiceislandvegan

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2015

Has an awesome amount of vegan donuts! Open 24/7 and has like so many varieties, like jelly-filled, chocolate glazed long and round ones, regular glazed, maple, sugar, and other glazed cake donuts. They are also super cheap, like 1.59 for the most expensive one!!

Pros: wide variety, so tasty!, prices are great
Cons: not all vegan, no soy creamer- does have soymilk though

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2015

Raised, jelly filled, maple, blueberry, cake, pumpkin. ..alllll good and very good price. ..about $8/dozen! They always make sure they are fresh too...cook more even if not all gone!
Not the greatest place, but the best doughnuts!
24 hours! !!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 05, 2015

Pros: Yuuummmm, Price, Fresh
Cons: Not Cute

Creative Donuts - Fun night owl outing

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2015

You walk in and the store is brightly lit, clean, organized, and spacious. Like all good doughnut places, they're 24 hours and we arrived at 3 AM, so the wafting aroma of freshly made doughnuts always makes for almost a sensual experience.

I have to say I was a little disappointed that it wasn't all vegan as I thought it was, but nine options is a good start even if they're on the bottom. Be forewarned that they are all cake donuts and not glazed or something more exotic, but wouldn't you know the bacon topped maple eclairs are on the top shelf. Hierarchy.

I have never had vegan doughnuts before and I have to say they are a little denser than regular cake donuts, but many vegan versions of deserts are. Reasonably priced at $7.89 a baker's dozen, they are definitely worth a try. The vegan doughnuts have a butteriness that's not like regular doughnuts, but it suits it as well as the smooth frosting, yummy chopped peanuts, or crunchy coconut. "It's an authentic comfort donut" as my friend says.

I have to admit I did try a non-vegan doughnut that I highly recommend. The strawberry doughnut! So good! I want another one right now just thinking about it! They have other cool flavors like red velvet, carrot cake, pecan queen, and cronuttery, but unfortunately, those flavors are non-vegan options.

Veg out,

• herbivore

great donuts, bonus on the vegan ones

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2015

update: the vegan section has grown! The raised variety (vs the standard cake variety) is now available and they are fantastic. Pic added. Two entire sections of the glass counter are now labeled vegan. Stopped here thinking I'd just get something for someone else, and ended up getting myself treats! For this, adding a star :)

A fantastic shop, we stop by whenever we're in the area. I'd give this place more of a 4 1/2 stars rating.
I've been told they have the best apple fritters (FYI fritter fans) and they are indeed very good, with more apple to dough ratio than other places, I'm not the best judge though as I don't often have them. The vegan donuts are very good, but not the best I've had, they're the cake variety and sometimes a bit on the dry side, maybe since they may sit there longer than the other donuts. The variety is mostly the different frosting flavor with the same two cake bases. At least they try to jazz that up and you can request sprinkle toppings on them. It's the other donuts, especially the fruit stuffed ones that steal the show and have the customers coming back for more. This place is never empty, and the staff is very sweet. I once bought a few donuts of both the vegan and non vegan varieties and when I chose the non-vegan ones she double checked to let me know those weren't vegan. I appreciated it and said yes, I just wanted to purchase a whole bunch for the occasion. Confession, I do prefer their regular donuts, and the overloaded fruit ones are really an indulgence that you have to share unless you're about to run a marathon. Still, despite the oozy creamy and super popular non-vegan flavors here, I like to support them since they do have that little vegan corner.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 18, 2014

Pros: vegan options, kind staff, many many flavors

Vegan Donuts in OC

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2013

I visited this donut place based on a recommendation of a friend. They are great cake donuts. I think they are the first in OC? I've been to Ronald Donuts and Voodoo Donuts. Their donuts are raised or yeasted donuts so they are not comparable.

These cake donuts are yummy too. There different flavors of glazes. I tried the strawberry, lemon, chocolate, and vanilla.

Not bad at all. All vegans in OC have been crazy getting them so sometimes they are not available. It is best to call first.

Pros: Local donut shop, Tasty cake donuts, Glaze flavors
Cons: No raised/yeast donuts are vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of The Donuttery: