100% Vegan store; previously operated as SAFE Cruelty Free Shop by an animal advocacy organization but no longer as reported Dec 2012. Stocks a wide range of animal-friendly products from vegan foods and snacks to books and t-shirts to household and personal care products to companion animal food and more. more-less

First Review by Petesternz
RayTomes
RayTomes

Everything in Vegan Supplies

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

This little store in St Kevin's Arcade has a wide range of vegan supplies even including shoes. Although some of the items are found in the supermarket, they have the complete range here, often with twice as many products as elsewhere. Definitely worth a visit for those that eat vegan food at home. Some items reasonably priced, others a little bit expensive.

Pros: variety, vegan
fearless
fearless

Good but small

3 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

We went to this place expecting more than what we got. An obvious positive is that it is vegan and therefore it's not necessary to worry about whether you can buy something. It is nice to be able to do that. However, it is very small and while we did buy a range of things it isn't somewhere you can really do a complete shop, not compared to the range available at other vego/vegan stores I have visited in the past. I also found that quite a few of the products were not organic/high quality/free of bad additives etc (e.g. lollies with fake flavourings).
In it's current form I wouldn't go too far out of my way to visit. I do think this place is nice and it has potential if it expanded and focused more on organic/high quality produce. Another positive was the good service.

Pros: vegan, good service
Cons: small
todd.henry
todd.henry

vegan everything

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

this place has just about everything a vegan could possibly want all packed into a small space. friendly staff who are in it for the cause.

can seem a bit pricey for some things but everything is excellent quality.

Pros: all vegan products
Cons: $$$ for some things
veganjess86
veganjess86

Love SAFE!

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

This is a great store, and shopping here supports a great cause! A good variety of items from t-shirts, body products to frozen food, and prepack food. Of course lots of vegan goodies that you can't find at conventional stores, vegan ice cream, sweet Freedom Syrup, raw cookies, mock meats! They even heated up a locally made vegan pie for me so I could enjoy it right there. The store was really well stocked and I was able to get everything I went for, and then some.

msblack
msblack

SAFE haven

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2011

The SAFE store has improved their range exceptionally over the last couple of years and it keeps getting better. My regular buys are the Jokerz bar (think Snickers), marshmellows, cream cheese, Tofutti ice-cream, vegan cheese powder (amazing for lasagne, etc), cranberry and macadamia cookies, jelly beans, Nice Blocks, and pies. SAFE is great for non-food items too, I purchased a nifty 'leather' belt and wallet, as well as cosmetics and hair products.

Pros: all vegan, central location, yummy

Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

vegan goodies for a good cause

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2011

The SAFE shop is a very cute little all-vegan store in St. Kevin's Arcade. I gravitated towards the vegan sweets - got a delicious Buccaneer bar (vegan Mars bar), some vegan wine gums, a Kokako fairtrade organic banana bread (fairtrade, organic and vegan - I was in heaven) and a Nice block (strawberry lemonade - tangy deliciousness). Although plenty of the products are probably sold cheaper in general supermarkets, it's worth paying extra for the specialty vegan imports.

Pros: Speciality vegan treats
Cons: Pricey
Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

Where I get my everything from

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

Its so hard to find a place thats dedicated to serving people like me who would only buy animal cruelty free products. I'm glad of this place where I don't have to scrutinize at every label, and can get the great selection I can't get in normal supermarkets. And the pies are so so awesome!!!

Pros: Great variety, Friendly staff
sophie666
sophie666

SAFE Cruelty Free Shop - AMAZING!

5 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2010

A really handy place for everyday household needs, a large variety of imported and local snacks and foods. Definitely vegan heaven.

Pros: Toffuties!, Organic chocolates, Soaps
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Super cool little Vegan Paradise!

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

Was a short walk from our hotel. The shop is small, but its PACKED with goodness. I highly recommend trying the Turkish Delight! There is a frozen foods section in the middle stocked with highly expensive tofuti bars, which are more for the sake of locals. I assume they are shipped in! Very helpful staff, even called and found out what vegan restaurants were open at the time for me!

Pros: turkish delight, very helpful, tons of sweets
Petesternz
Petesternz

Great and getting better!

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2009

The SAFE shop is a really useful place for people living in Auckland, and it is great to see they are expanding their food options. It used to be just a few items here and there, but now SAFE stocks the shop with all sorts of goodies that are hard to get elsewhere, and has a freezer and fridge for cold items.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Cruelty Free Shop: